24hr dosing pumps: To push or to pull through the CaRx | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, If I Put the periplastica pump as pull, do I need to have a small pump pushing water to the CaRx? Or it is not necessary?
Since calcium reactors are all sealed up, pulling water will create suction on the feed line and draw water into the reactor. You do not need a separate feed pump if you're using a continuous duty dosing pump to pull water through the reactor.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since calcium reactors are all sealed up, pulling water will create suction on the feed line and draw water into the reactor. You do not need a separate feed pump if you're using a continuous duty dosing pump to pull water through the reactor.

I had a similar question. =) I'm now pulling with a pump. Does the input line (feeding the CaRx) simply sit freely somewhere in the sump since the pump is providing the suctions force.

I just added the pull - pump whereas I was feeding the CaRX off my manifold previously. What I discovered is a manifold feed pressure going into the CaRX seems to work, but it would slowly clog somewhere and I couldn't get a consistent pressure even with a gate valve controlling the push. Maybe that's why folks do the perm pump to begin with.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar question. =) I'm now pulling with a pump. Does the input line (feeding the CaRx) simply sit freely somewhere in the sump since the pump is providing the suctions force.

I just added the pull - pump whereas I was feeding the CaRX off my manifold previously. What I discovered is a manifold feed pressure going into the CaRX seems to work, but it would slowly clog somewhere and I couldn't get a consistent pressure even with a gate valve controlling the push. Maybe that's why folks do the perm pump to begin with.

Yep, just have the intake line in the sump somewhere. I suggest in an area least likely to suck up detritus or other debris that could clog the line/reactor. I also try to avoid the skimmer chamber to avoid excess air from entering the reactor via micro bubbles.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The issue many people have with just pulling from the reactor is the air bubbles accumulating inside the reactor ( probably due to negative pressure). I had that happen to me and it drove me absolutely crazy. After months of trying to figure out what’s happening i finally decided to put my reactor on a manifold without restricting flow to raise psi inside of the reactor and to Continue pulling with the master flex pump. This solved bubbles accumulation issue, and I felt like my media was dissolving better too.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. This is another example of all tanks are different. I’ve noticed my reactor pH significantly more stable after letting the intake sit freely in a quiet sump space after adding a pull pump as suggested here. Previously on the manifold it was okay, but the constant manifold pressure changes with the primary pump on/off from various feed timing did seem to throw it off. And adding both a pull from the pump plus a push from the manifold seemed to cause issues for me, but maybe it was a factor of how open the manifold gate valve was for me.
For now I’m going to stick to the free standing intake but maybe add a mini in line filter to help with potential intake clogs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back