24x24x10 Frag Tank Build

absoluteNANOreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm upgrading/turning my IM10 into a 24x24x10 frag tank! Very excited as I've always loved those dimension.
Plans with the tank are to have a small center aquascape surrounded by custom acrylic frag stands. I plan to make it a zoa frag tank with a few other things like shrooms and some easy sps.
I will be trying my best to post the entire process. A few things on order and some will be used from my current build. The IM10 will be turned into the sump using some custom dividers I'm working on. Here is some of the equipment I either have or have on order.
Please, let me know what I can do or should buy to improve this build. This is my first frag tank, so I'm not sure what to do to make it as successful as possible.

Current equipment from IM10:
  • Tank itself for sump
  • XP Aqua Duetti ATO
  • Ecotech MP10WQD
  • Aquamaxx NF-1 Skimmer
  • IM MightyJet 326 for return
  • Live Rock and frags
    • WWC AOIs
    • WWC Purple Monsters
    • Speckled Krak
    • Utter chaos
    • Fallen Kingdoms
    • Pink Zippers
    • Anacondas
    • Black Markets
    • Mohawks
    • Sunny Ds
    • Yuma
    • Ricordeas
    • JF Slow Burn monti
    • Sunset monti
    • Pink ******* Chalice
    • and some others I forgot the names to
New Items that arrived or are on order and waiting to arrive:
  • Advanced Acrylics 24x24x10 with dual drain
  • Ecotech Radion XR15 Blue G5
  • Red PVC, ball valve, return, plumbing, etc.
  • Custom Stand made by me
  • Tell me what else I need!!
Anyway here's the stand to get things started. Just finished putting it together today. I have no idea how to paint or stain it or what color and I'm scared to ruin it lol.

IMG_5663.JPG
IMG_5664.JPG
IMG_5665.JPG
IMG_5666.JPG

OP
OP
absoluteNANOreef

absoluteNANOreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need dosers for those sps ;)
That is true. I have no experience with dosing. All water changes so far lol. I will do my research though. Thank you
Looking good so far. I have the same dimension frag tank.
Thanks! What kind of lighting are you running on it out of curiosity?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is mostly sps, so I have 2 hydra 26s set up so the pucks are in a square. But I noticed I'm getting alot of shadowing on some frags around the edges so I'm thinking about adding 2 24in t5s one one each end.

20200217_100456.jpg 20200214_141914.jpg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is mostly sps, so I have 2 hydra 26s set up so the pucks are in a square. But I noticed I'm getting alot of shadowing on some frags around the edges so I'm thinking about adding 2 24in t5s one one each end.

20200217_100456.jpg 20200214_141914.jpg
You could spread out the hydras to make a rectangle shape

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could spread out the hydras to make a rectangle shape
It's a square tank, so I have the hydras one infront of the other slightly spread out. I get about 350 par almost all the way around the rack surfaces. And about 150-200 on the bottom around the racks. Just the shadowing is showing really bad on some of my larger frags. I keep spinning them every few days. (Like when your laying in the sun and you gotta flip every once in a while lol) I'm thinking a t5 at the outer edge facing in would help with the shadows

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Was that a tin foil light shield taped to your Ai prime to keep the light from blinding you? ;Hilarious

OP
OP
absoluteNANOreef

absoluteNANOreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean, love it.
Thank you. I wanted it’s a minimal and modern as possible.
Looking great! Was that a tin foil light shield taped to your Ai prime to keep the light from blinding you? ;Hilarious
Lol yes foil tape hahaha it has a diffuser on the bottom to blend the light. I was supposed to finish it with actual nice material but never got around to it and it sat like that lol. My wife hated it.

nasotang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good and like the 80/20 light hanger. Consider adding fans or ventilation for the stand otherwise you might get mold from the heat/moisture.

OP
OP
absoluteNANOreef

absoluteNANOreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good and like the 80/20 light hanger. Consider adding fans or ventilation for the stand otherwise you might get mold from the heat/moisture.
Thanks. I actually got an rms originally and wasn’t happy with it. I like the 8020 rail much better and it cost less.

Yeah, I just realized this morning when I opened it up and the humidity in there smacked me in the face lol. I’ve been leaving it open until I find a nice fan or trim for it so I don’t cut out holes that are too big.

Thank you

SmallLebowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Especially like the work on integrating the switched outlets into the stand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back