25% OFF Neptune SKY Led - Discontinued? Overstock? Upgrade coming?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

craigvh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Sky's but considering Ecotech came out with the g6s the sky2 is probably on the way. With 5 star reviews on bulkreefsupply, I doubt they would discontinue. My guess.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until Radion is controllable by Neptune other than a binary on off through an EB control, i dont see it going away.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always a bit suspicious of sales on MAP items larger then 10-15 percent.

I think it is reasonable that Apex may be releasing new versions but who knows. It is still a good amount of savings regardless.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's look to be a REALLY big deal when SKY has NOT bumped up in price at all relative to comparable lights since it's release date a year ago. Take ecotech radion for example - these have bumped up 25%+ due to supply chain issues / inflation / etc. Sure ecotech gen 5 is currently discounted by 15% but that's after the 25%+ bump.

Last edited:

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the sky just isn’t selling crazy well. Panel LEDs seem a little tricky. It’s a bigger unit that might have a narrower range of application. One on a 24” tank is probably overkill for most people, but you need 2x for the very common 48” tanks.

I think the upcoming ATI Stratton pro that features smaller panel units that are joined together to get various sizes might be the way to go in the future.

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested in the sky if it was more rectangular like the Radion. The spread is too much for the average tank. I don’t like light spill.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's look to be a REALLY big deal when SKY has NOT bumped up in price at all relative to comparable lights since it's release date a year ago. Take ecotech radion for example - these have bumped up 25%+ due to supply chain issues / inflation / etc. Sure ecotech gen 5 is currently discounted by 15% but that's after the 25%+ bump.
Reef Builder's review of the Sky from Jake Adams was all positive except for the price. He felt it was overpriced for what it is, as compared to comparable lights. I don't remember the exact number he used but said it would be a great light for 650 or 699 (from memory). Maybe the price point hurt it, and raising the price wouldn't be helpful

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The Sky was being designed and built during all the supply chain issues which allowed them to price it higher from the get go since they saw a lot of the price increases happening.

Radions were priced long before all the inflation. Thus they had to go up

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sky was being designed and built during all the supply chain issues which allowed them to price it higher from the get go since they saw a lot of the price increases happening.

Radions were priced long before all the inflation. This they had to go up
I wonder if the initial price point of the sky is the big reason for lack of adoption. From what I have seen, it still has not been accepted as 'the light' for anyone asking for recommendations. I am actually VERY surprised the the sky has not been bigger given that anything that connects with the apex has been liquid gold.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if the initial price point of the sky is the big reason for lack of adoption. From what I have seen, it still has not been accepted as 'the light' for anyone asking for recommendations. I am actually VERY surprised the the sky has not been bigger given that anything that connects with the apex has been liquid gold.

Definitely overlooked and price is very likely the main reason.

If an Apple "clone" comes out tomorrow but is priced the same as iPhone, which way are people going to go? They'll just stick with Apple. But make that clone 25% less and some bite.

I'd argue the Sky is likely a better Radion and why they had to come out with the G6. Sky had better spread and far better software. It says a lot when Ryan B put them over his own personal tank. Guy can use and afford any light he wants. After seeing his tank in person and talking to him about it, he picks what he thinks is best for him and his animals. Not what is most likely to sell from his choices. He is a hobbyist after all.

reefrider777

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Builder's review of the Sky from Jake Adams was all positive except for the price. He felt it was overpriced for what it is, as compared to comparable lights. I don't remember the exact number he used but said it would be a great light for 650 or 699 (from memory). Maybe the price point hurt it, and raising the price wouldn't be helpful
He was very negative about the build quality and the lack of measures taken place to protect the guts from the harsh marine environment.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He was very negative about the build quality and the lack of measures taken place to protect the guts from the harsh marine environment.

What's funny is people who actually build and test stuff like this say there isn't an issue. I wonder what Jake's qualifications are to make such a statement or was he just parroting information for some clicks?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All are over priced imo but if you want the best you gotta pay for it . I’m still a Radion , t5 fan

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely overlooked and price is very likely the main reason.

If an Apple "clone" comes out tomorrow but is priced the same as iPhone, which way are people going to go? They'll just stick with Apple. But make that clone 25% less and some bite.

I'd argue the Sky is likely a better Radion and why they had to come out with the G6. Sky had better spread and far better software. It says a lot when Ryan B put them over his own personal tank. Guy can use and afford any light he wants. After seeing his tank in person and talking to him about it, he picks what he thinks is best for him and his animals. Not what is most likely to sell from his choices. He is a hobbyist after all.
Unless he knows that is how it will be perceived and the fact that he gets more of a cut for every sale of a sky vs a radion. I hate thinking that way..but once the Bertram things happened...you have to start looking at him in a different light.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless he knows that is how it will be perceived and the fact that he gets more of a cut for every sale of a sky vs a radion. I hate thinking that way..but once the Bertram things happened...you have to start looking at him in a different light.

As I sat with him and Randy at lunch we had a pretty straightforward and candid conversation about many things. Could he have been lying or stretching the truth a little? Maybe, but I didn't perceive that. He was open and honest about many things.

Maybe a better conversation for PM ;)

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what Jake's qualifications are to make such a statement or was he just parroting information for some clicks?

He has a bachelor’s degree in Marine Science. Which, IMO, doesn't count for much when considering the technical aspects of electronic hardware.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a macro economic perspective, these sales, short term, seems to be the norm. You have more than likely seen sales from Walmart, Target, etc.. It's all supply and demand and there is untold surplus supply that many are just now discounting and having sales to reduce their inventory due to change in demand when you consider the economic situation. In short, these "sales" price are slowing going back to pre COVID. Will they stay...who knows.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back