OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea Do you use your tap water as top off water or do you use RO water? One of your posts states you get your water from the Trinity Aquifer, is that what you use for top off/evaporation replacement?

Make up water comes straight from Middle Trinity Aquifer from 1000’ depth at 80 degrees. This water is heavy in dissolved solids with TDS at 1000. The Aquifer is saturated with silicates, calcium, magnesium, sulfur.

I add untreated water to inside and outside systems. I consider the minerals introduced with Aquifer water of benefit as it is incorporated into the biomass of algae & coral. I regularly add iron, iodine and potassium nitrate. I feed heavy with live bivalves, frozen & dry flakes. I grow phytoplankton that I add to my display tanks. I do zero water changes with the exception of discarding gravel vacuume water from display tanks.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make up water comes straight from Middle Trinity Aquifer from 1000’ depth at 80 degrees. This water is heavy in dissolved solids with TDS at 1000. The Aquifer is saturated with silicates, calcium, magnesium, sulfur.

I add untreated water to inside and outside systems. I consider the minerals introduced with Aquifer water of benefit as it is incorporated into the biomass of algae & coral. I regularly add iron, iodine and potassium nitrate. I feed heavy with live bivalves, frozen & dry flakes. I grow phytoplankton that I add to my display tanks. I do zero water changes with the exception of discarding gravel vacuume water from display tanks.
I like simple, thanks for sharing

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like simple, thanks for sharing
What a fantastic read! I haven't even made it halfway through, no spoilers please. But I had to say this is the material I want to read. Facts, theories, and the execution to achieve said concepts.

Thank you for the encouraging comment. I usually try to break down complex scenarios into individual cause & effect. It keeps me busy doing R & D.

Last edited:

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the encouraging comment. I usually try to break down complex scenarios into individual cause & effect. I keeps me busy doing R & D.
It is greatly appreciated. I am an analyst and engineer with a love for biology. I understand the concepts but without the details like provided here I don't understand what makes them tick. I feel that that is the most important part, a fundamental understanding of the various systems and approaches. Without this how can one truly trouble shoot or provide a stable environment for the critters we enjoy. Always learning. Always humble.

Camilo Lessa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-1-15_17-0-2.png

OK Subsea, what is this, & have the authorities given appropiate approval for domestic use?
He
image.jpg

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua...S2_JC-tSDhbWq-8o0_gGoORtoiNxPrjwaAgz8EALw_wcB

Acrylic tube with LED rope light with 4:1 ratio of red to blue led. Initially led rope was 16’ but tube was too warm. After two test runs, I cut off 8’ and then another 2’. Final cut reduduced wattage from 50W to 22W with a water temperature of 87 degrees. I paid $120 for tube with brackets and $20 for rope light. I have a second phytoplankton reactor that I made from a water thermos jug. It has 15W of PAR 38 bulb and 78 degree water. I reduced air flow rate to increase water temperature. This diy cost < $30.

Hello subsea. Do you think is better to have Plankton Reactor or its the same if i buy plankton and put in the aquarium?
By the way which do you prefer, Aqua Medic Plankton Light Reactor or the reactor that you made?
Regards

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a lot of neglect, I am back on track. Just did receive a large shipment of various seaweeds. Bortacladia was put in both tanks. The 120 has much higher light intensity, which bleached and melted some of the Bortacladia macro.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a lot of neglect, I am back on track. Just did receive a large shipment of various seaweeds. Bortacladia was put in both tanks. The 120 has much higher light intensity, which bleached and melted macro.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Good to see you back

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Feather Caulerpa that I have never had.

Two more feather Caulerpa’s.

My personal favorites are Red Grapes & Red Gracilaria

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th fish seem to like green more than red, grazing on two different Caulerpa’s.

[This species of Caulerpa is a large variety that can reach blade widths of up to 2" and a height of about 12". Unlike its cousin, Caulerpa Sertulariodes, it prefers slightly deeper habitats and often is found on the edges of channels in depths of 20 ft or more. It features a thick rhizome, split into individual cylindrical fronds that grows horizontally on the sea floor. Younger specimens are often confused with Sertulariodes, as they are very similar in characteristics and are often sold as "feather algae" in the aquarium trade. Because of its size, its fairly slow growing and will not overgrow its environment like other species do. When pruning the large rhizome, pinching the tissue is best so that a minimal amount of chemical is released into the aquarium.]

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only one Tang, a Hippo who chooses to graze on new green macro growth from two Caulerpa species. which have white/opaque growth tips. I can only imagine that nutritional value is higher at point of new growth. Does @Scrubber_steve or @Dana Riddle have some thoughts on this.

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is greatly appreciated. I am an analyst and engineer with a love for biology. I understand the concepts but without the details like provided here I don't understand what makes them tick. I feel that that is the most important part, a fundamental understanding of the various systems and approaches. Without this how can one truly trouble shoot or provide a stable environment for the critters we enjoy. Always learning. Always humble.

I am a Marine Engineer that has had a reef aquarium addiction for 48 years. With respect to details that make things tick. Two PHD scientist highlighted my quest to understand: Martin Moe & Randy Holmes Farley. In the early 1970’s at a Marine Aquarium Conference, Martin Moe as a marine biologist said, “It’s not rocket science, it’s more complicated”. More recently, Randy said about biochemistry to me, “We sent a man to the moon 40 years ago, yet we can’t cure cancer”. When John Tullock, PhD micro biologist, wrote the The Natural Reef Aquarium, he brought it all together for me, “LESS TECHNOLOGY & More Biology”.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Marine Engineer that has had a reef aquarium addiction for 48 years. With respect to details that make things tick. Two PHD scientist highlighted my quest to understand: Martin Moe & Randy Holmes Farley. In the early 1970’s at a Marine Aquarium Conference, Martin Moe as a marine biologist said, “It’s not rocket science, it’s more complicated”. More recently, Randy said about biochemistry to me, “We sent a man to the moon 40 years ago, yet we can’t cure cancer”. When John Tullock, PhD micro biologist, wrote the The Natural Reef Aquarium, he brought it all together for me, “LESS TECHNOLOGY & More Biology”.
Definitely “LESS TECHNOLOGY & More Biology” for me.
I run two ATS, a skimmer that skims back into the sump and lots of LR.
Tank is looking good and lots of filter feeders feeding away.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely “LESS TECHNOLOGY & More Biology” for me.
I run two ATS, a skimmer that skims back into the sump and lots of LR.
Tank is looking good and lots of filter feeders feeding away.

I noticed on your “sponge in bottle” thread, you mentioned living in uk. How do you get your sponges? Could you post some picture of them. Why are you feeding skim-mate into your sump?

Perhaps with so much live rock, your sponges came in as hitchhikers.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed on your “sponge in bottle” thread, you mentioned living in uk. How do you get your sponges? Could you post some picture of them. Why are you feeding skim-mate into your sump?

Perhaps with so much live rock, your sponges came in as hitchhikers.
I got the sponges in my tank from LR, and must also have come as hitch hikers on corals I have purchased. So your assumption is correct.

I also feed Zeovit Sponge Power daily into the tank. While I run a Triton Based system, I do like the sponge power from my days on the zeovit method.

I feed skimate back in because of the many filter feeders I have and because I still like the idea of running skimless for as long as I can get away with it.
The stability I have achieved is based on not skimming out all that food.

As for pics, I am very lazy when it comes to that. I’ll see whether I have any, or try and take a few.

I really must start a tank thread

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the sponges in my tank from LR, and must also have come as hitch hikers on corals I have purchased. So your assumption is correct.

I also feed Zeovit Sponge Power daily into the tank. While I run a Triton Based system, I do like the sponge power from my days on the zeovit method.

I feed skimate back in because of the many filter feeders I have and because I still like the idea of running skimless for as long as I can get away with it.
The stability I have achieved is based on not skimming out all that food.

As for pics, I am very lazy when it comes to that. I’ll see whether I have any, or try and take a few.

I really must start a tank thread

I have been skimmerless for 40+ years. Oxygen exchange is critical in a reef tank particularly during lights out in main display. Skimmers accomplish that goal. I engineer into my system design good air/water interface with aggressive circulation at surface of display tank and tumbling water from display to sump.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back