OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reading first page of your thread, I saw where you were researching differrent biochemical methods using sulfide reactor with slow flow up (reverse flow) thru dsb. Also, you are using skimmate as a carbon source into dsb. I saw three vertical tubes with one dedicated to instruments. Flow goes into one tube into Plenum void under dsb. Where are you at with how you are using the substrate?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tubes down. Using 1 for Redox probe, 1 for pH probe, 1 for water inlet (and to inject DOC source - ethanol) and 1 as a reserv. For the moment I have a 600 l/h pump - pumping water from the refugium and down. It is to strong and therefore - it is connected to a power outlet that my redox probe manage. I try to have a redoxpotential off 0 mV in the plenum void - I´m sure it is lower in the middle of the sand bed. I try to figure out how to measure in the middle - I have an idea but I need to redo the sand bed - I will wait with that for the moment and see how this work out. Last week´s redox below the DSB - here.

The small variations are after adding 10 ml ethanol (40%) to the void below the DSB. The very low figures are due to a pump stop. With adding DOC - I pump around 200 l/day - without adding any DOC - 75 l/day

Screen Shot 07-18-18 at 08.05 PM.PNG

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does pump have filter like 5um, approx., so to much detritus not build up in plenum?

I want to have detritus in the plenum. The general idea is that there shall be an anaerobic breakdown in this part of the DSB. When it is enough of organic matter and a good breakdown - DOC will be formed and can be used of the denitrification bacteria upp in the sand bed. This will take some time but I have try to speed up the process by adding skimmate down to the plenum void. My goal is to create the first (as I know) self playing denitrification system in aquaria (No need of external add of DOC). But it will take time.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse
In a previous career of municipal waste water treatment, I see some shared functions of an anarobic digester. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

I have a background of running an experimental waste water treatment plant (small - serving around 200 individuals - Stensunds wastewater aquaculture) between 1993 and 2000 and in construction of indoors recirculation fish farms with total nitrogen removal from the water.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to have detritus in the plenum. The general idea is that there shall be an anaerobic breakdown in this part of the DSB. When it is enough of organic matter and a good breakdown - DOC will be formed and can be used of the denitrification bacteria upp in the sand bed. This will take some time but I have try to speed up the process by adding skimmate down to the plenum void. My goal is to create the first (as I know) self playing denitrification system in aquaria (No need of external add of DOC). But it will take time.

Sincerely Lasse
I have one thead, I think I beat you to it. But I use sulfur, "
DT with built-in sulfur denitrator" only thing is have to many projects. I haven't continued project

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, Lasse, on sulfur denitrator 150ml-190ml per minute, Flow of effluent exiting. Very fast.Was like 2-3gallons of no3, removed, per hour, if my math right. I use sulfur, does have draw backs. Right now no denitrator to corals. Doing similar to yours. But water moves top to bottom, let gravity do its part. So detritus is on the top building up.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a background of running an experimental waste water treatment plant (small - serving around 200 individuals - Stensunds wastewater aquaculture) between 1993 and 2000 and in construction of indoors recirculation fish farms with total nitrogen removal from the water.

Sincerely Lasse

@Lasse, Lasse is very modest, you know he's a consultant to all major public aquaria in Sweden.
I heard through the grape vine. Not saying who(but first letter S). He won an award similar to the Oscar's, here in USA, for his knowledge. For real. That's my uncle.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know he's a consultant to all major public aquaria in Sweden

Definitely not - there is around 10 public aquaria in Sweden and I have been working in one and for the moment works together with another here in Gothenburg - that´s all.

sulfur denitrator
This is something else and works in another way compared with normal denitrification. The bacteria in sulfur denitrators does not need DOC (dissolved organic carbon) - they are not normal heterotrophic bacteria. But that is true - they can be run integrated.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not - there is around 10 public aquaria in Sweden and I have been working in one and for the moment works together with another here in Gothenburg - that´s all.

This is something else and works in another way compared with normal denitrification. The bacteria in sulfur denitrators does not need DOC (dissolved organic carbon) - they are not normal heterotrophic bacteria. But that is true - they can be run integrated.

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks for clearing that. I'm corrected. No problem.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an idea I want to try more. I've tried it once but put a layer of Siporax in the bottom and it turned out Siporax release a lot of silicate in anaerobic conditions. So I had to stop it and havn't had the time or place to try it again. The idea is a box inside the sump, with inlet at the bottom. Water is pumped out from the top water layer. This way it's easier to know how much water goes through the sand bed, and it's easy to put pH and redox probes to see the numbers after the sand bed. You could also feed the sand bed with carbon source and regulate the dosage and flow with the pH and redox(maybe). Anyway, not easy to explain in text so I draw this in power point :)
I call it David's reverse deep sand bed, or just DRDSB ;)
RDSB jpg 3.JPG

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also LA (Lasse Approved) :) My only concern is - it was David that hatch the idea - not me :) But maybe a prove that he grows up and getting older :)

I think it is a very good example of thinking out of the box and it is rather easy to apply on already established systems.

Sincerely Lasse

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you use to construct the plenum ? what grade of substrate ? looks like geo marine/FCC..

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you use to construct the plenum ? what grade of substrate ? looks like geo marine/FCC..
If the question was aimed at my post, I did the plenum with egg crate, two layers. I used pretty large grains of coral gravel. Same as we use in our calcium reactors.

/ David

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an idea I want to try more. I've tried it once but put a layer of Siporax in the bottom and it turned out Siporax release a lot of silicate in anaerobic conditions. So I had to stop it and havn't had the time or place to try it again. The idea is a box inside the sump, with inlet at the bottom. Water is pumped out from the top water layer. This way it's easier to know how much water goes through the sand bed, and it's easy to put pH and redox probes to see the numbers after the sand bed. You could also feed the sand bed with carbon source and regulate the dosage and flow with the pH and redox(maybe). Anyway, not easy to explain in text so I draw this in power point :)
I call it David's reverse deep sand bed, or just DRDSB ;)
RDSB jpg 3.JPG
How about co2 injection to maintain an anoxic zone for denitrification.

Back