OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If feeding macro algae to grow fish, having several variety is a good thing. If fish are like me, when it comes to food, variety is the spice of life.

I have large algae refugiums with both Caulerpa & Chaeto mixed in. Neither work for feeding fish but they compost garden tomatoes.

I do indeed like ornamental macro in display tank. In this case I have mixed a low light Bortacladia with two fast growing Caulerpa’s to cycle this tank using ammonia and ChaetoGro. I intend to lower intensity and use 10K color rendition for display. Everything is temporary here except double layer 55G tank stand. Bottom level is for seed germination/growout for Spring garden.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If feeding macro algae to grow fish, having several variety is a good thing. If fish are like me, when it comes to food, variety is the spice of life.

I have large algae refugiums with both Caulerpa & Chaeto mixed in. Neither work for feeding fish but they compost garden tomatoes.

I do indeed like ornamental macro in display tank. In this case I have mixed a low light Bortacladia with two fast growing Caulerpa’s to cycle this tank using ammonia and ChaetoGro. I intend to lower intensity and use 10K color rendition for display. Everything is temporary here except double layer 55G tank stand. Bottom level is for seed germination/growout for Spring garden.

Very nice.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sub, is that the stuff you saw out of the bay window in the submarine?
I love seaweed. :cool:

Paul,
I take seaweed to the next level. Not only does it supply ornamental viewing and nutrient recycling, I especially like the nutrient export aspect. Yes, tomatoes & squash like it, but so do I when I use Red Ogo to make Ceviche.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats Codium. Very common here on the east end of Long Island in shallow water. You can collect it all over the beach. It only lasts a couple of months then floats so it is easy to remove. I collect it every summer on the ocean beaches at low tide.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sub, is that the stuff you saw out of the bay window in the submarine?
I love seaweed. :cool:

As a Subsea Engineer in deepwater drilling for Transocean, we used ROV (Remote Operated Vehicle) which was rated for 10,000’ foot water depth. At that depth, not to much seaweed but some weird stuff. Once, in the Gulf of Mexico, we were required 24/7 monitoring of hot hydrogen sulfide vents. To coin a phrase, it was very weird looking. Another time, a 1000 pound sea bass adopted our 30” wellhead as its nest. When we ran the 18 3/4” BOP at 500,000 lbs and 5000’ of marine riser whose dry weight was in excess of 50 million pounds, the last 5’ were obstructed by 10’ long fish. Transocean owned the drilling ship and Shell contracted us and they owned the 18 3/4 wellhead. Shell operator decided to use the ROV robot manipulator arms to scare sea bass off the wellhead. Big mistake. The fish disabled hydraulics requiring ROV repair at 12 hours downtime with a day rate at $800K. For the second round against the sea bass, Shell operator asked if my BOP hydraulic connector would maintain pressure integrity at the wellhead. I assured him that locking forces exceeded 100M pounds force and metal to metal seal would be established. My job responsibilities as a Subsea Engineer was pressure integrity at the wellhead and every aspect of well control from subsea to surface. As a side bet, I put money on big fish getting off the wellhead. With ROV camera viewing from a distance, we lowered this mountain of iron down. No one saw if fish had evacuated the area. However, pressure integrity test at 10,000 psi assured positive seal. The next day, ROV saw sea bass hiding amongst BOP frame.

That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats Codium. Very common here on the east end of Long Island in shallow water. You can collect it all over the beach. It only lasts a couple of months then floats so it is easy to remove. I collect it every summer on the ocean beaches at low tide.

I have had Condium before but never that attractive. Kudos to you. The colder water in LI Sound may change appearance.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to anyone who has a tank for that long. You may only be rivaled by Paul B and a couple others here. How old are your fish?

Ten years is oldest fish. Hippo Tang. While moving 300 miles to current location, a batty operated air pump failed.
Presently, tank is crowded due to temporary transfers from 120G.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to convert 30G EcoSystem mud/macro filter into a Cryptic refugium. I no longer need nutrient export as fragging & selling coral is always an option. Instead, my focus is on DOC, dissolved organic carbon, which is utilized by cryptic sponges. At present I have persistent GHA is spots. As a soft fleshy algae it has maximum exudates of DOC.

While I am not ready for an oxidator, I have decided to put an air stone in display tank to assist with low oxygen when lights in display tank go out without an opposite light cycle in macro refugium.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the small blue leg hermits & Asterinea Snails, have not tackled

Bryopsis pennata and B. plumosa​

To that point, I transfer one rock at a time to the Blue Tang tank. If Left too long, eventually he will eat desirable macro on live rock.

#1 picture is to be curated by Hippo Tang

#2 picture with rock on the left was curated by Hippo,
Note rock on the right is next to be curated by Hippo

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tanks look amazing

Thank you.. I do enjoy the contrasting colors & textures of ornamental seaweeds, which allows me to run a high nutrient tank for sea Apple, flame scallops, numerous types of feather dusters and last but not least are ornamental & cryptic sponges.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contracted Hippo Tang to be final curator of the best of the 75lbs of Gulf Live Rock. Other pieces are going into cryptic refugium. I an producing much utility macro for tangs to graze on. I have three different Caulerpa that are all fast growers.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back