25G Modified Waterbox Peninsula with a sump build

wpapaslow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank Whiskey! I do have a question though. When you were breaking out the original overflow, do you recall what the material was? Glass or acrylic? I'm asking because I plan to update mine to filters in the sump and would like to redesign the overflow to mimic the newer design and free up some more display space. So far you've got the most "modified" waterbox I've seen. So hoping you can help.

Cheers!

Attachments

• waterbox-marine-70-3_6.png_May-17-2020-138pm.png
    waterbox-marine-70-3_6.png_May-17-2020-138pm.png
    223 KB · Views: 33
  • MARINE.X.90.3.OAK_900x.jpg
    MARINE.X.90.3.OAK_900x.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank Whiskey! I do have a question though. When you were breaking out the original overflow, do you recall what the material was? Glass or acrylic? I'm asking because I plan to update mine to filters in the sump and would like to redesign the overflow to mimic the newer design and free up some more display space. So far you've got the most "modified" waterbox I've seen. So hoping you can help.

Cheers!
Thank you! The Overflow in mine was most definitely glass, in fact not only was the back wall, but all the baffles were glass as well. It was incredibly well glued in there, and I used an old pair of extraction gloves to keep my hands safe while clearing it out.

Whiskey

wpapaslow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The Overflow in mine was most definitely glass, in fact not only was the back wall, but all the baffles were glass as well. It was incredibly well glued in there, and I used an old pair of extraction gloves to keep my hands safe while clearing it out.

Whiskey
Wow, you weren't lying, those panels are really glued in there! I managed to pull the panels and all baffles without breaking one, so that's cool. Going to drop the big panel off at a glass shop today. Fingers crossed that everything breaks where it's supposed to!

20221227_195218.jpg 20221228_222138.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a little while since I updated this thread. The tank is doing well, and I put together a video tank tour on YouTube of all the corals, and the system that's keeping it running. You can check that out here:

Thanks for watching!
Whiskey

Really like the way your tank is turning out!!

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you weren't lying, those panels are really glued in there! I managed to pull the panels and all baffles without breaking one, so that's cool. Going to drop the big panel off at a glass shop today. Fingers crossed that everything breaks where it's supposed to!

20221227_195218.jpg 20221228_222138.jpg
You are not kidding! I think I broke 20 Scapul blades getting that sucker out, and the reason I used the knife is that that is floss and wire just kept getting cut or breaking. I used to worry about Silicone failing, after that experience and realizing how hard it holds on, I have zero concerns now.

Good luck with it!!! I'm super impresed you didn't break any of it!! Mine started cracked so I didn't really care, but I broke EVERYTHING lol.

Whiskey

wpapaslow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not kidding! I think I broke 20 Scapul blades getting that sucker out, and the reason I used the knife is that that is floss and wire just kept getting cut or breaking. I used to worry about Silicone failing, after that experience and realizing how hard it holds on, I have zero concerns now.

Good luck with it!!! I'm super impresed you didn't break any of it!! Mine started cracked so I didn't really care, but I broke EVERYTHING lol.

Whiskey
It's funny, I got the glass cut Friday. Had to use your pics to prove to each of the three glass shops I went to that it wasn't tempered glass! The third one was finally willing to take my request. 10 minutes later and I had a new overflow.

Attachments

• 20221230_123020.jpg
    20221230_123020.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221231_144617.jpg
    20221231_144617.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221231_153015.jpg
    20221231_153015.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, I got the glass cut Friday. Had to use your pics to prove to each of the three glass shops I went to that it wasn't tempered glass! The third one was finally willing to take my request. 10 minutes later and I had a new overflow.
Haha! That's awesome. Glad the pictures helped!

That's a great overflow you have there! It's sleek and I really like the design. You get a ton of tank space back too! Did you drill the back for a drain to the sump?

Whiskey

wpapaslow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! That's awesome. Glad the pictures helped!

That's a great overflow you have there! It's sleek and I really like the design. You get a ton of tank space back too! Did you drill the back for a drain to the sump?

Whiskey
That's what's weird about this series. It's basically an AIO but with a sump. So they left the filters in the overflow, and basically had a 3 chamber sump for whatever you want. I'll be modifying that too to fit a reefmat.

This is a Pic of a slightly smaller model with two filters instead of the 4 filters this had.

Attachments

• waterbox-marine-70-3_6.png_May-17-2020-138pm.png
    waterbox-marine-70-3_6.png_May-17-2020-138pm.png
    223 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what's weird about this series. It's basically an AIO but with a sump. So they left the filters in the overflow, and basically had a 3 chamber sump for whatever you want. I'll be modifying that too to fit a reefmat.

This is a Pic of a slightly smaller model with two filters instead of the 4 filters this had.
Oh! I get it now. Wow, that is a weird design! I would much rather have more in tank space, and that stuff in the sump like you are doing. The reefmat in that thing is going to be Killer! Do you have a build thread going?

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm busy updating things, I figured I should update this thread as well! I was doing a Youtube series on the Algae issues this tank was having, and I'm due for a final update going over everything I was doing to address the issues because I'm happy to report that the problem is (almost) completely gone! I really only have algae on the output nozzle and the overflow teeth where the hermits can't get to at this point which is absolutely fantastic. For anyone interested here are the first two videos:
First one with lots of Algae -
Second one with less Algae -

And here is where the tank is at now. I'll come back and post the last Youtube video when I make it in the next couple days.
IMG_6731.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG
IMG_6724.JPG

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back