25G Modified Waterbox Peninsula with a sump build

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

This will move fast in the beginning here, I haven't had allot of people follow the woodworking part of all this so I usually start these threads at the point where the tank is running.

To start off, this is the tank that we are upgrading from:
IMG_5072.JPG

This all started with a very cheap, damaged waterbox tank and a need for more space in the above aquarium:
IMG_8664.jpg

The first thing I did was clean that up and drill for a Ghost overflow:
IMG_8827.JPG

Then I got right to work building a canopy for it, and get it up and running. The tank was pumping water through it as of the end of January, 2022:
IMG_9974.JPG

Stay tuned for more,
Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I got to work on the stand, the goal was to make this system match my cabinetry in the house exactly, it came out pretty well:
IMG_0232 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0338 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0527.jpg

Then I needed a Sump:
IMG_0533 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

And the tank sat like that until Sunday 5/2/2022 while I fine tuned, cycled, tested corals, figured out light color and tried my best to build a bartop for it which is still not done. We will get to that later.
IMG_0539.JPG

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we are caught up to present day, the tank is setup as I type, but after the transfer I tried to get into the controller's local pages to update the module config and discovered that the memory was corrupt and the controller was shot. More on that later, but that took 16 hours over the last 2 days to figure out so I don't have any progress pics to share.

However, I do have pics of some new coral that I picked up to put in there. I'm super excited to have room for more LPS again!
IMG_5084 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5085 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5087 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5092 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5093 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5095 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5099 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5101 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5105 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5107 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update on the tank. I've noticed a few things since setting it up.

First, the controller issue. I ordered a 2016 head unit for it and installed that yesterday. It's working great! But the form factor is not even close to the same, and it doesn't fit on the controller board. For now I have it temporarily mounted but I'm going to have to do some very creative wood work to put it where it should be. This will also require that I rebuild the topoff system.

Regarding the topoff system, I love that it's perfectly quiet, but hate that it only holds 2 gallons. That was fine for the 10, but on this 25 with a 10G sump I'm getting much more evaporation. The other issue is that when the topoff container gets below half way it's sluggish to topoff, plus I will need to make it smaller if I want to move the controller board to fit my controller. All that being said I'm thinking about something new. I'm thinking about making an acrylic ~1G container that I will place where the 2.5G one is. I will have a float switch at the bottom as a warning, and the top as a full indicator. This will topoff all day and night to keep levels stable, and at Noon every day a Pump will kick on to fill it! I think this will be the best of both worlds. Then I can put 30 gallons of water under my bed if I want and I don't have to mess with it every week.

Finally, Heat. I have a 100W Heater which is supposed to be preset at 78, it's not. It's preset at 75.5 apparently because at night even though the apex has it on all night it settles out there. I would prefer the tank to be at 77 as a low so I have ordered an adjustable 100W heater to replace it.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I redid the topoff! Filling it weekly was just way too much work, and I often travel for a week at a time so not a good fit. It was also in a risky spot to slide in and out because of where I had to mount the Apex controller.

I made this acrylic box (Acrylic work is not my strong suit)
67408738791__20397DF0-514F-439A-BFAF-97AEE2870385 - Copy by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

You can see the float on the top there is to detect when this is full, if the one on the bottom ever triggers something is wrong and I'll get an email or text.

The BRS Peristaltic pump is in the back of this photo behind the drawer, it will fill the container every day for me during the day when I'm not sleeping, and the gravity feed topoff is consistent and dead silent.
IMG_2589 - Copy by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

These are the two (so far) Jugs with water, and you can see the sensor for keeping track of their level. The 5G is easily swapped out and filled, and I could put 200 gallons of water under that bed in those 5G cubes if I really wanted to.
IMG_2590 - Copy by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update! Luckily this tank made it through my work trip thanks to my neighbor coming over to feed, there was only some minor drama. I used an old cordless phone power brick for the fans and it can make this wild buzzing sound sometimes, (I now know) and it decided to start doing that while I was gone. It took a little figuring, but after a little wiggle it was quiet again. I might replace it, if that sound went off in the middle of the night it would sound like an alarm.

The water was a little cloudy, nothing serious but I decided to temporarily put an old turbo twist UV I have laying around on just to knock that back and skim it out. I don't plan to use this all the time but it's a quick fix to the issue. If I need it constantly then I need a bigger skimmer I figure.

The tank itself is settling in well, and I have some updated photos!
IMG_5217 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5211 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

This is the view from the bed:
IMG_5209 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mainly studying for an exam I'm taking in about 30 min and working out to drop some work travel plans this weekend, but I did sneak in some time to get a few coral photos, they don't all jump out in a FTS.

This tank is all about LPS, and I've had a ton of fun collecting!
IMG_5292 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

When I saw this I didn't even know this coral existed. Lepthastria, rather new to the hobby. Super cool in the flow, like a Glaxia without the tentacles:
IMG_5291 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

This is a little baby plate still attached to it's mother:
IMG_5290 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Everyone needs a Duncan:
IMG_5287 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Bigger plate:
IMG_5285 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I've never had a bubble coral:
IMG_5284 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Cyphastria - another one I've never kept:
IMG_5281 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Just an awesome BN picture:
IMG_5277 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Of course the "Holy Grail" micromusa (I got such a good deal on this):
IMG_5269 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I want to grow my blasto collection:
IMG_5264 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5261 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

This guy might have to go, his stingers are twice his actual size:
IMG_5263 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Wish these dudes weren't so aggressive. Still, it's pretty enough that it's worth giving it a wide birth:
IMG_5258 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Another little collection:
IMG_5256 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5254 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I'll post this one, and we can start off with Acans on the next post.
Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans!!! These all should be able to touch, so I've got a nice little garden started here.
IMG_5253 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5252 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5251 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

This one I've had for about a year:
IMG_5248 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5245 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5244 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5243 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5241 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

That's enough fun for now. I'm hoping I planned this well and the tank will stay stable and provide an ideal home for these guys to grow out in. I also have some more room left for them to get some new friends :D

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished up my Fortinet certification, and now I'm back to working on a few of the remaining items on this system.

The big news is that the counter top finally got some love!!! Sadly the painters tape pulled off the white paint on the side so I need to fix that, but the epoxy part is all done. Some things on the epoxy pour could have gone better, but overall I'm happy with the look and how it came out. I like the 'seafoam' look, I like the color of the water, and I like the durability of the surface.

IMG_5338 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5336 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5334 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5331 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5328 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Another nice touch, is that side cover on the back on the bed side has a MagSafe charger mounted to it, so my phone magnetically pops on there for charging and it angles down so I can see it if I get alerts and stuff without blocking the view of the tank. It's also high enough up to put my glass of water under it.

The sump hasn't changed much but there are a couple minor changes. I still have the Apex in there, but will redesign the backboard soon so that it can go with all the other equipment on behind the front door:
IMG_5342 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!!! Just wanted to pop in for a little update. I've been traveling a ton for work lately, and my tank has been cared for more by my neighbor than me it seems, but things are about to slow down for a little while and I'll get to enjoy this thing again.

That being said, I've just kept on a consistent schedule with this system, and it's plugging along just great. I did have a temp probe fail on my Apex which caused issues while I was out of town but my neighbor saved the day.

The other issue I've been fighting is a rogue Peppermint Shrimp. It ate the mouth out of my huge Traki, and now it's picking the plate apart. The Traki is in my frag tank (hopefully) healing, but the damage is pretty severe, and the Plate is holding up so far but it is about to move out as well if I can find somewhere for it. I have a fish trap being delivered soon to hopefully catch it.

IMG_5585 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5590 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_5596 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a little while since I updated this thread. The tank is doing well, and I put together a video tank tour on YouTube of all the corals, and the system that's keeping it running. You can check that out here:

Thanks for watching!
Whiskey

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back