Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I feel like some people generally assume sps tanks should be bare bottom.

How do you clean the front glass then?
I clean it with a scrapper once a week during the water changes. My tank is much smaller though. I can see how this would be almost impossible with yours.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I clean it with a scrapper once a week during the water changes. My tank is much smaller though. I can see how this would be almost impossible with yours.
I don't clean/scrape mine anymore. Its actually not too bad - has a cool layer of algae that my tangs and blenny love to eat.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been contemplating doing sand vs bare bottom in my head over and over and today I added 30lbs of sand to the tank.

I’m feeling…regret haha.
Stressed Out Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been contemplating doing sand vs bare bottom in my head over and over and today I added 30lbs of sand to the tank.

I’m feeling…regret haha.
Sand is the way to true happiness.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m feeling…regret haha. I am so scared that I am going to scratch the tank by accident.
Let's see!
I bet it looks nice :) I promise I wont pick anything apart. :face-blowing-a-kiss:

Besides, if your change you mind and don't like it, it can be sucked back out. ;) It's not like the tanks entire structural integrity is at risk.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a good example of people doing things (like bare bottom or sand) for the wrong reasons. People do things because it is the trendy thing to do for various reasons. A reef should always be about what you like and what makes you happy; that's it. If you do not love your tank the way that you have chosen to set it up, then you are doing it wrong. You should always go with your gut and what you want to see (even if that makes you wrong from my perspective). Hopefully now, having tried both, you will find out which way you prefer and be able to settle that twitch in Mr. Crab's eye.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a design perspective, sand all the way. I think it looks much better.

At the end what’s most important is if the tank looks aesthetically pleasing. That’s been my priority with almost everything I try to do with my tank.

I will try my best not to scrape near the sand bed and I will make sure the sand is always clean by occasionally blowing it with a powerhead.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see!
I bet it looks nice :) I promise I wont pick anything apart. :face-blowing-a-kiss:

Besides, if your change you mind and don't like it, it can be sucked back out. ;) It's not like the tanks entire structural integrity is at risk.
Picture coming soon. I think I can take one around the evening time tonight.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the chromis. They appear so healthy and active. It seems like they grew since when I first bought them. The water is that greenish/yellow color from the antibiotic. Nitrofurazone.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep going back and forth.. at first I was like "yeahhh he needs more" but then when I look at the far away full tank shot, I think it looks "maybe kind of cool". Not sure... makes me tilt my head a lot trying to figure out how I feel about it. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
But more importantly, how do you feel about it ... now that it's in?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep going back and forth.. at first I was like "yeahhh he needs more" but then when I look at the far away full tank shot, I think it looks "maybe kind of cool". Not sure... makes me tilt my head a lot trying to figure out how I feel about it. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
But more importantly, how do you feel about it ... now that it's in?
Is it because there are some bare spots? That’s because of the powerheads.

I really like the shallow sand bed. I feel like it has that “beach vibe”.

People in real life are noticing the difference. I’m happy I went with a sand bed. It looks really cool compared to the bare bottom.

A bare bottom tank is a house; a sand bottom tank is a home.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it because there are some bare spots? That’s because of the powerheads.

I really like the shallow sand bed. I feel like it has that “beach vibe”.

People in real life are noticing the difference. I’m happy I went with a sand bed. It looks really cool compared to the bare bottom.

A bare bottom tank is a house; a sand bottom tank is a home.
I agree that the shallow bed gives it a beach vibe. Good way to describe it. :smiling-face:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up 2 pincushion urchins! I already had 1, but after I saw the type of work it did to the rocks and algae, I just needed to get more!

1380706E-55E5-4691-A5B0-FA7EE892C809.jpeg

(Urchins don’t need to be quarantined as parasites can’t encyst onto them.)

When I come back from my 5 day trip from Las Vegas, I will pick up a bunch of Mexican turbos:

D64BE584-7D92-4845-84BF-338C39D93F7E.jpeg

My LFS had a bunch in stock, but I didn’t want to make any purchases for the quarantine tank right before leaving.

I learned that you cannot control algae by lowering phosphates/nitrates. In order to limit algae, you need to get phosphates below 0.03ppm IMO, and my tanks are prone to getting dinos when nutrients get that low.

I believe the recommendation to lower phosphates for the sole purpose of controlling algae is a fruitless endeavor. It’s just not going to work for most cases.

The best control for algae IMO is herbivores and allowing the rocks to get filled with beneficial organisms to outcompete the algae (like corals). Not to lower nutrients.

It took me a while to get to this mindset because I was indoctrination to believe acros need ultra low nutrients, but time and time again, people grow them in “high” nutrients, while the people trying low nutrients get dinos and possibly even bleaching.

:)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking so beautiful. Did that clam put itself in that position?
Yes. This Derasa is a derp. Especially because when it tries to close its shell the side flesh is still very exposed lol.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Table of Contents:

• Pages 1-3: New tank building plan + aquascaping
  • Page 4: Tank built! Minor bump because skimmer didn’t fit sump, UV difficult to maintain because of plumbing/tank design issue/miscommunication
  • Page 5: Discussion of corals + white worm culture talk
  • Page 6: More discussion about the plumbing/tank design issue + fixed the sump skimmer issue!
  • Page 7-8: Invert & acro frag discussion
  • Page 9: Resolving the final issue with UV + installed Apex & did cable management
  • Page 10-12: Bristle worm in QT, Added kalkwasser to ATO, installed GFO reactor, quarantining chromis with uronema and tail rot.
  • Page 13: I decided to add sand to the tank. Went with T5 5 blue plus & 3 coral plus instead of 50% of each
wow, organized!!!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually made up my mind and decided I want to go bare bottom! I’m going to see if I can get the bottom of the tank to have a white vinyl background.

Do you know what made me want to do this? I stirred my QT sand bed and a nasty cloud came up. I was dealing with high nutrients and I was doing tons of water changes a week!

I took out all the corals, rocks, pumps etc and got rid of all the sand. My tank was COMPLETELY green and disgusting from all the build up crap in the sand.

Nope! No more sandbed for this guy!
My last tank always had yuck when I siphoned. Gross. My new tank never has those awful clouds of nastiness. I think the flows (2 RS 45's gyres and 2 mp40's) make all the difference. There are a couple places that when I rake, there's a bit but the one time I tried to siphon/vacuum, there was nothing, or not enough to warrant the hassle as my landscape is a bit too fragile.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back