Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up 2 pincushion urchins! I already had 1, but after I saw the type of work it did to the rocks and algae, I just needed to get more!

(Urchins don’t need to be quarantined as parasites can’t encyst onto them.)

When I come back from my 5 day trip from Las Vegas, I will pick up a bunch of Mexican turbos:

My LFS had a bunch in stock, but I didn’t want to make any purchases for the quarantine tank right before leaving.

I learned that you cannot control algae by lowering phosphates/nitrates. In order to limit algae, you need to get phosphates below 0.03ppm IMO, and my tanks are prone to getting dinos when nutrients get that low.

I believe the recommendation to lower phosphates for the sole purpose of controlling algae is a fruitless endeavor. It’s just not going to work for most cases.

The best control for algae IMO is herbivores and allowing the rocks to get filled with beneficial organisms to outcompete the algae (like corals). Not to lower nutrients.

It took me a while to get to this mindset because I was indoctrination to believe acros need ultra low nutrients, but time and time again, people grow them in “high” nutrients, while the people trying low nutrients get dinos and possibly even bleaching.

:)
I'm heading this way. I either have no po4 or too much. Same with nitrates. It's number chasing yet I do not want no3 above 20. Frustrating! Yet I have amazing coral growth right now. Just added 1 urchin and a sea cucumber and about 40 snails and 40 hermits and 2 emeralds and will keep adding clean up crews.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what an amazing build! You're tank is beautiful. And so is your cat lol's. The worms not so much though I did start a culture.
Thank you so much! Time for me to check out your build thread! I’ve been talking with you throughout other threads recently and it seems like we get along well (similar mindsets and tank equipment lol). I can’t wait to see what your journey is like!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Time for me to check out your build thread! I’ve been talking with you throughout other threads recently and it seems like we get along well (similar mindsets and tank equipment lol). I can’t wait to see what your journey is like!
Just be warned... I'm a chatty-Cathy as all my teachers used to complain about lol's.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I checked my worms and the yogurt was getting moldy yet there were some worms under. I just broke it up, added a bit new. Will probably take me a few starts to getting this!! I have 1 hole in the center of the container--a vent hole that I took off the part that closes it

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I checked my worms and the yogurt was getting moldy yet there were some worms under. I just broke it up, added a bit new. Will probably take me a few starts to getting this!! I have 1 hole in the center of the container--a vent hole that I took off the part that closes it
I would add more vent holes for aeration and I would remove the moldy yogurt. The worms won’t eat it in my experience.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand GIF

I’m just going to leave this here for you :winking-face-with-tongue:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on this forum noticed a problem with my tank (which I’m super grateful for).

Basically, the tank builders wanted to reuse the old styrofoam that my old tank was on (had the same dimensions except for the height). But now there might be a chance the tank can break in the future since the corners (especially on the back of the tank) are not supported.

3FC0A95C-156F-4023-8F55-E9033C8FD33D.jpeg
373055DE-429E-4E05-B35C-C24841D79D95.png

Here’s my thread I made about this ugly situation: https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/10296825/

Here’s a quote from me in that thread explaining why I’m currently upset:
My biggest fear is the manufacturer will one day ghost me. It’s my biggest fear. I don’t have evidence they would do such a thing, but with all the “problems” I keep coming up with, I just feel like they would.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I messaged the builders. The goal is to resolve the potential issue. I’m happy I can fix these things BEFORE the accidents happen.

So now a new journey. No worries, it’ll just be another small block which will make it to the Table of Contents!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add some styrofoam to that side? I know that at work when we try to repair things with styrofoam, e6000 glue melts it and we put the 2 together. This might make it possible to add some new foam on that corner-

You can experiment maybe by cutting some foam, put something heavy on it to mimic the tank and see if you can add a piece to fix it. Then examine it after it has cured to see if it is solid and no hollows.

But don't do without lots of tests and other experts on what to do!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joey tribbiani sand GIF

I almost sent this GIF, but I didn't know if you would get what I was going for with the sand lol.
I said at the beginning of this build I will have a bare bottom tank. But by the end of it you and @Sean Clark will leave me like:

Joyful Noise Beach GIF by Joyful Noise Recordings

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef
I'm in the same camp as some others here that the tank looks better with sand, and even better if you add more sand to leave no bare patches.
Hopefully adding more Styrofoam works for you, though I think this could be a challenging endeavor to make sure it does not get pushed back out if it is actually supporting the tank. Keeping even pressure with the right height after the tank is already resting on the main Styrofoam may also be a challenge. I hope you can make something work for your peace of mind.

Your fish are beautiful! I'm interested in seeing your reef full of corals as well (not to push you to rush or anything).

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef
I'm in the same camp as some others here that the tank looks better with sand, and even better if you add more sand to leave no bare patches.
Hopefully adding more Styrofoam works for you, though I think this could be a challenging endeavor to make sure it does not get pushed back out if it is actually supporting the tank. Keeping even pressure with the right height after the tank is already resting on the main Styrofoam may also be a challenge. I hope you can make something work for your peace of mind.

Your fish are beautiful! I'm interested in seeing your reef full of corals as well (not to push you to rush or anything).
I am going to add more sand to cover all the bare spots. I decided for myself that it would look better, but I will add the sand after we fix the tank styrofoam issue because I don’t want to add more weight in the case that I am expected to remove all the rocks/livestock temporarily. That’s worst case scenario though.

Having a tank full of corals/clams has always been a dream of mine. My goal is to accomplish this dream and nothing will stop me. :D

Back