just to add to the wormy fun today...

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Good updat!

I caught the mantis shrimp with the DIY bottle trap in less than 24 hours after adding it! I’m so impressed! I also removed a gorilla crab today. :)
Going to have to call you 'The Exterminator' today!

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get the gorilla crab...i tried to trap mine for a week and eventually ended up spearing him with the coral feeder...bit sad, at least the hermits had a good feed

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get the gorilla crab...i tried to trap mine for a week and eventually ended up spearing him with the coral feeder...bit sad, at least the hermits had a good feed
Ha. Long story.

I saw my mantis shrimp under a relatively large single rock. I tried using my pixie stick (the grabber tool) to get the rock out. I was so scared of touching the rock with my hand because I didn’t want my hand severed in half, so I couldn’t lift the rock out of the tank, and it fell back down.

Then I tried again and I got the rock out. I put it in tap water because nothing came out except a gorilla crab. I then took the rock outside and smashed it into tiny pieces to find that stupid mantis shrimp. I needed to see the body as evidence that it was eradicated.

But noooo. The mantis shrimp somehow jumped ships while my rock removing fiasco.

It was definitely chaotic lol. Luckily the mantis entered the trap himself a few hours later.

So @Projects with Sam was correct about calling me an exterminator. The story was slightly chaotic, but with a happy ending.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh,

Mantis vs Miami: Round 2!

I just heard some clicking. The first mantis shrimp got caught on the RIGHT side of the tank.

The rock fiasco I had yesterday with the mantis shrimp (failed attempt at removing it with the rock) was on the LEFT side. I heard clicking on the left side which means that there’s more to be caught, AND that vermin from yesterday is still in the tank. The mantis that’s left is likely the one that killed most of my skunk cleaners since it resides in the skunk’s resting spots.

Trap is in place. I’m so fricking excited. Who knew I’d love catching mantis shrimps with traps. I’ll keep ya’ll updated.

Phosphates bottomed to 0.00ppm, so I dosed 0.05ppm. I am not going to feed the fish today to encourage the mantis shrimp to seek out food.

Excited!!! :D

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oooh,

Mantis vs Miami: Round 2!

I just heard some clicking. The first mantis shrimp got caught on the RIGHT side of the tank.

The rock fiasco I had yesterday with the mantis shrimp (failed attempt at removing it with the rock) was on the LEFT side. I heard clicking on the left side which means that there’s more to be caught, AND that vermin from yesterday is still in the tank. The mantis that’s left is likely the one that killed most of my skunk cleaners since it resides in the skunk’s resting spots.

Trap is in place. I’m so fricking excited. Who knew I’d love catching mantis shrimps with traps. I’ll keep ya’ll updated.

Phosphates bottomed to 0.00ppm, so I dosed 0.05ppm. I am not going to feed the fish today to encourage the mantis shrimp to seek out food.

Excited!!! :D
Like the thrill of the hunt!
lol you should go spear fishing.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Lysmata grabhami? If so how long have you had it and how big is he?
What a coincidence. The last one I had just died today after getting your post.

I purchased 8 and they died within the month I had them. I don’t really know why they died, but I suspect maybe the mantis shrimp? I really don’t know.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t already, a Midas blenny!!
Midas blenny is a cool fish. I honestly haven’t had the need to add any fish since the anthias. Seems like my fish stocking list worked perfectly.

If I had to add another fish, it would probably be a regal angel...but I don’t think I’d add one until the corals really grow in really well.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back