270g FOWLR and Fish Room Build (image heavy)

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super nice job on that. Looks great! Maybe a clear coat to add a little extra protection? Not sure if the effort is worth it?
The stand has many layers of semi gloss clear coat on it. Three coats were for protection, the other 99 were cause I kept messing it up. lol

I get it tho... Sucks but at least you got it figured out!
Yeah, that part is funny. I thought about just saying screw it and buying some flexible tubing, where is the fun in that!

reefpizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice wow wow wee wow GIF

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has been a fun read! you are very thorough. congrats so far on the journey!!!
Thank you. I still have a ton of work to do though. I'm hopeful that I can get the basic system up and running this weekend and get the fish moved over early next week. Then I'll need to get all the Apex gear moved over and reconfigured for the larger tank. I also still have to build the canopy and some lids to keep any jumpers where they belong.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I visited your form. Your build is coming along great. I love the tank, and I wish my plumbing looked half as good as yours. Amazing build, I can't believe you are getting all this done on an 8k budget.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I visited your form. Your build is coming along great. I love the tank, and I wish my plumbing looked half as good as yours. Amazing build, I can't believe you are getting all this done on an 8k budget.
Well.... I might have gone over that $8k budget. lol I think I could have totally done it on budget if I did not go with the fancy sump and colored plumbing. Reducing the pipe sizes would help a lot as well. 1.5" unions are pricey and add up really quick!

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I might have gone over that $8k budget. lol I think I could have totally done it on budget if I did not go with the fancy sump and colored plumbing. Reducing the pipe sizes would help a lot as well. 1.5" unions are pricey and add up really quick!
I know what you mean, my wife and I added the cost of the build and it was over triple that budget, and that didn't include everything.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean, my wife and I added the cost of the build and it was over triple that budget, and that didn't include everything.
The little things really do add up. Since I'm doing a FOWLR tank, I was able to save quite a bit on lighting as well. Building the stand and canopy myself saved at least a grand... but it took me forever to do.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've had a little set back on the tank. The right hand bulkhead for the overflow box is leaking. Nothing I've tried has stopped the leak, so I've contacted Planet via my local store about the issue. Hopefully they will have a solution pretty quick.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it has been a while since I updated this build thread. That's because I've been busy working on the tank with every spare moment I get. So, here comes some update for everyone....

I finished up the lower part of the stand and I'm fairly happy with the way it came out. There are a few nit picky things that probably only I will ever notice that bother me when I see them, but so far everyone that has seen it in person likes it a lot.

200gBuildStand-055110.jpg

I also finished up the floor supports in the crawl space.

200gBuildTank-172508.jpg

With those two things done I was able to move the stand and the tank into their final location in the house.

200gBuildStand-170847.jpg

200gBuildStand-170835.jpg
Stand looks great! What was your painting process? I am just starting so sand prime my stand.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks great! What was your painting process? I am just starting so sand prime my stand.
Thanks! It was quite a bit of work. I sanded everything down to 320 grit and then sprayed the white. I was having a hard time getting an even coat sheen wise with the spray gun on the really large flat areas. I would overlap or spay more in one area and it would end up with more shine then the surrounding areas. So I ended up spraying the whole stand, but concentrated on the trim pieces. After that I took a roller to the large flat areas. I lightly sanded between each coat of paint.

for the clear coat I started out hand brushing it as I figured I'd have the same sheen issue with using the sprayer. The problem I ended up with by hand brushing it was small brush streaks and air bubbles when it dried. Even thinning it out a lot did not get rid of them completely. It turns out, I should have just sprayed the clear coat on from the start. Spraying it laid down a nice smooth coat that as very consistent in sheen. I lightly sanded with 1000 grit between each of the sprayed on coats. Between the brushed on coats and the sprayed on coats, my stand has like 12 coats of semi gloss on it. lol

Since you do not have the large flat areas, I think spraying everything would work well for you.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It was quite a bit of work. I sanded everything down to 320 grit and then sprayed the white. I was having a hard time getting an even coat sheen wise with the spray gun on the really large flat areas. I would overlap or spay more in one area and it would end up with more shine then the surrounding areas. So I ended up spraying the whole stand, but concentrated on the trim pieces. After that I took a roller to the large flat areas. I lightly sanded between each coat of paint.

for the clear coat I started out hand brushing it as I figured I'd have the same sheen issue with using the sprayer. The problem I ended up with by hand brushing it was small brush streaks and air bubbles when it dried. Even thinning it out a lot did not get rid of them completely. It turns out, I should have just sprayed the clear coat on from the start. Spraying it laid down a nice smooth coat that as very consistent in sheen. I lightly sanded with 1000 grit between each of the sprayed on coats. Between the brushed on coats and the sprayed on coats, my stand has like 12 coats of semi gloss on it. lol

Since you do not have the large flat areas, I think spraying everything would work well for you.
Good feedback, thanks. Lol @12 coats ...I understand that very well. I always seem to take longer/more to get the look I want also.

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While all of this work was going on, my slightly custom Synergy Reef SK-60 sump showed up.

200gBuildSump-202431.jpg

200gBuildSump-092801.jpg

200gBuildSump-092819.jpg

200gBuildSump-093624.jpg

200gBuildSump-093549.jpg

200gBuildSump-093600.jpg

200gBuildSump-093536.jpg

200gBuildSump-094010.jpg

This sump allows you to run either dual 7" filer socks or dual Clarisea SK5000 roller filters. I ordered the extra top plates so that I could run both of them as needed. I plan on running the filter socks initially to catch all the crud floating around from setting everything up. That way I'm not wasting roller filter in the beginning. As you can see in the photo below, the sump is modular to allow for both options.

200gBuildSump-093409.jpg

The sumps is a really nice looking sump and I'm very happy with it. There were a few small cosmetic issues, but since they do not effect the operation of it and are not really noticeable, I'm okay with them.

A couple of glue smears...

200gBuildSump-060835.jpg

200gBuildSump-060916.jpg

And a dinged corner...

200gBuildSump-092702.jpg
Great looking sump, nice job

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Oberst,
Well done on a great build to date, I am sure you have put a lot of planning and time into making it all come together and great to see it progressing as it looks like a great setup.
If you are like me I love the progress of going from plan to finished sections specially when you do a lot of it yourself.
Great job keep up the work and pic’s.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking sump, nice job
Thanks. I was initially looking at the Bashsea line of sumps, but the did not have an off the shelf roller mat sump. I was going to have them make me a custom sump, but having to go through the middle man to deal with them was a little frustrating and time consuming. I was able to personalize this Synergy Reef sump and start the build process before Bashsea could even workout the details with me. They both make beautiful sumps, but in the end the Synergy worked out best for me.
Hey Oberst,
Well done on a great build to date, I am sure you have put a lot of planning and time into making it all come together and great to see it progressing as it looks like a great setup.
If you are like me I love the progress of going from plan to finished sections specially when you do a lot of it yourself.
Great job keep up the work and pic’s.
I agree it is very rewarding to finish up different parts of the build after working on them for so long. I do need take some new photos and update this thread though. As I said in your great build thread, I've now got saltwater, rocks and sand in my tank.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here are some pic of the tank with water and rocks in it...

200gBuildTank-6281.jpg

And a couple of shots to try and show off the depth/3D look of the rocks. I might grab a video later to help show this a little better.

200gBuildTank-6283.jpg

200gBuildTank-6287.jpg

200gBuildTank-6288.jpg

Since this is supposed to be a Fish Only tank, I was not concerned about places to place corals. Instead, I focused on giving the fish interesting places and paths to swim. I also think it will be very cool to watch the fish swim in and out and around all the different spires.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very intresting rock work. I looking forward to see how the corals fill in. Great work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back