270g FOWLR and Fish Room Build (image heavy)

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update. Did you see that BRS video (I think it was), where they basically ‘squirt’ a certain type of glue into the cracks and it hardened fast?
The @Bulk Reef Supply video that I watched they used thicker super glue and the Marco mortar. For building the rocks, I did not like the mortar as it was much darker in color then the actual rock. I had watched another video online (can't recall who it was, but it was an Australian reefer) that used the super thin superglue method with the crushed rock to better color match the rock. If you sprinkle the rock dust on the glue just before it is totally dry, the dust sticks to it but does not get darker. I did not do this to all of my joints, but now that I'm done I'll probably go back and dust the ones I did not do.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome work with the rock, I enjoy the height, that's really what I'm looking for, gives some depth to the aquarium.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome work with the rock, I enjoy the height, that's really what I'm looking for, gives some depth to the aquarium.
Thanks. Initially in my head I was thinking I'd make my formations wider and flatter, but after mocking up the tank design I decided that even at 30" wide, the tank was not really wide enough for that style of scape.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space.... I would definitely recommend a shop sink in the garage and had "nice" insulation to the walls of the fish room!

There is a utility sink pretty much just inside the house from the garage that I'll continue to use for now. In the future the Wife might get tired enough of my using it to sign off on running some plumbing out in the garage. The issue there is it would have to be outside my fish room and then keeping it from freezing would become an issue.

My other option might be to mount a sink in counter top (would take some configuring and maybe custom built shelves) and just plumb water from my RODI tank to it and the drain to a holding container that I emptied via valves when full. We'll see how it all goes and then decide what I really need to do.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a utility sink pretty much just inside the house from the garage that I'll continue to use for now. In the future the Wife might get tired enough of my using it to sign off on running some plumbing out in the garage. The issue there is it would have to be outside my fish room and then keeping it from freezing would become an issue.

My other option might be to mount a sink in counter top (would take some configuring and maybe custom built shelves) and just plumb water from my RODI tank to it and the drain to a holding container that I emptied via valves when full. We'll see how it all goes and then decide what I really need to do.
Well if you have a shop sink that close that isn't a kitchen or bathroom sink, it may not be worth it as you have stated.

Are you going to do all the building yourself? What materials are you going to use for the inside walls?

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be doing all of the build myself with the help of my father-in-law on framing the room in. The initial eclectic I had done, but I'm going to be installing a few more outlets myself once framing is done. I'll probably just use mold resistant drywall inside and out. I don't want to put too much money into the fish room as per agreement with the Wife, it has to be a temporary room. I have to be able to convert everything back easily and at a low cost to how it was in case we ever go to sell the house. It is kind of odd that see says this and also says this is our forever home. lol

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I love the McMaster's car part import option. I also started using Fusion360 for my 270g build.
The McMaster's Car catalog was a huge time saver when doing the possible plumbing plan. I think it is going to come in really handy again since I'm rethinking what I want to do sump wise... which will completely change the plumbing layout.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RODI goodies I ordered from BRS came in today:

200gBuild-Equip-1.jpg

Once the larger reservoirs show up I'll get to installing all of this and moving my current RODI to the new location... provided I get some heat into the fish room so things don't freeze!

And since I've not posted any other pics the other equipment I have already received, here they are.

Floor jacks to re-enforce the floor under the tank.
200gBuild-Equip-2.jpg

2x 300w titanium heaters (I'm wondering if these are going to be big enough for the tank) and some cheap Amazon power heads/pumps for various flow needs in the sump.
200gBuild-Equip-3.jpg

I'm going to give the Jebao return pumps a try. A local reefing buddy of mine runs dual 18000 pumps on his 360g tank and has liked them so far. My initial plan was to run dual COR 20 pumps, but I needed to lower the start up costs on this build some and this change saved me a ton of cash. I will still probably swap these out for the CORs later on and regulate these guys to backup duties.
200gBuild-Equip-4.jpg

For flow inside the tank, I'm going with an IceCap 3k and a 4k controlled by the Apex. This should be enough flow for a FOWLR tank.
200gBuild-Equip-5.jpg

Since the Wife hates algae in the tank, a large-ish UV sterilizer is going on the tank as part of the algae management system. It is a 55w light with 3" tubing for increased contact time.
200gBuild-Equip-6.jpg

Some Apex flow sensors and a FMM to help monitor and dial things in.
200gBuild-Equip-7.jpg

And finally the exhaust fan to help control temps and humidity. It has a controller that will turn it on and off based on temp and/or humidity. The flaps close when the fan is not on.
200gBuild-Equip-8.jpg

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be doing all of the build myself with the help of my father-in-law on framing the room in. The initial eclectic I had done, but I'm going to be installing a few more outlets myself once framing is done. I'll probably just use mold resistant drywall inside and out. I don't want to put too much money into the fish room as per agreement with the Wife, it has to be a temporary room. I have to be able to convert everything back easily and at a low cost to how it was in case we ever go to sell the house. It is kind of odd that see says this and also says this is our forever home. lol

I would do dry on the exterior and FRP or abs on the inside wall. Same pricing for the most part. OSB is crazy expensive but since/I hope this is not permitted build haha, I would use a 3/8 thick piece of ply and glue FRP on the inside. If you line up the studs before hand, you can make some walls removable or pieces of it where you can pull off cut a hole or router some slots for all your cables and plumbing. The drywall will get wet and will have humidity in that small room, but still a "good" solution.

Also if are framing this to the garage slab which I am guessing is sectioned off and ISH foundation thickness. I would make the walls floating like we have to do for basements in CO. The HUGE perk of floating walls and a fish room all your cables and plumbing can go a long ways horizontal with drill holes through the studs and having a hard time adding new or removing old wires or plumbing

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that fan? Also let me know how you like it. I've considered the same for my setup.
I found it on amazon. When I get home from work I'll post the link (I can't hit amazon from work). I've not used it yet obviously, but it looks like a pretty good unit and was only like $130 or so.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do dry on the exterior and FRP or abs on the inside wall. Same pricing for the most part. OSB is crazy expensive but since/I hope this is not permitted build haha, I would use a 3/8 thick piece of ply and glue FRP on the inside. If you line up the studs before hand, you can make some walls removable or pieces of it where you can pull off cut a hole or router some slots for all your cables and plumbing. The drywall will get wet and will have humidity in that small room, but still a "good" solution.

Also if are framing this to the garage slab which I am guessing is sectioned off and ISH foundation thickness. I would make the walls floating like we have to do for basements in CO. The HUGE perk of floating walls and a fish room all your cables and plumbing can go a long ways horizontal with drill holes through the studs and having a hard time adding new or removing old wires or plumbing
As a temp room in the garage, no permits are being pulled. I looked at the FRP in the past, but a 4x8 sheet of that and a 4x8 sheet of 3/8 plywood comes out to about $60, a heck of a lot more then the $20 for a sheet of 1/2" greenboard. I think the fan should be enough to keep the humidity down in that small of a room.

I also thought about the floating walls, but since this has to be a temporary room, I do not want to put holes in the garage floor. Talking with my home builder buddy, we decided that construction glue would be enough to hold the bottom plate in place. With the other three sides of the wall tied into existing house studs, it should be just fine. Nothing is going to be mounted on that wall except maybe an Apex module if need. The room is to narrow to put anything else on that side. All of the equipment and plumbing will be on the tank wall so I do not have a need to make long runs of cords or plumbing around the room.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a temp room in the garage, no permits are being pulled. I looked at the FRP in the past, but a 4x8 sheet of that and a 4x8 sheet of 3/8 plywood comes out to about $60, a heck of a lot more then the $20 for a sheet of 1/2" greenboard. I think the fan should be enough to keep the humidity down in that small of a room.

I also thought about the floating walls, but since this has to be a temporary room, I do not want to put holes in the garage floor. Talking with my home builder buddy, we decided that construction glue would be enough to hold the bottom plate in place. With the other three sides of the wall tied into existing house studs, it should be just fine. Nothing is going to be mounted on that wall except maybe an Apex module if need. The room is to narrow to put anything else on that side. All of the equipment and plumbing will be on the tank wall so I do not have a need to make long runs of cords or plumbing around the room.
Nice! Glad you have covered all the idea basis that was the hope. I have green board in part of my fish room and it has held up fine for the past 11 months.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would suggest a few concrete anchors in the base plate. Glue will be a mess for removal later and the small holes for concrete are easy to patch. The fan may have trouble keeping humidity down...or just constantly run. I am not sure where you live, but in my neck of the woods there would be a lot of condensation in my garage with my sumps/fish room. I think the plywood will be fine. I would ensure you get treated wood and a moisture barrier. Not sure how long "temp" will be...

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Glad you have covered all the idea basis that was the hope. I have green board in part of my fish room and it has held up fine for the past 11 months.
Thanks, suggestions and alternatives are always welcome!
Nice job on the 3d renderings and very nice plan. Wish my other half would let me do something that big! (only dreaming since I'm still a beginner)
Thank you. The 3d renderings were super easy and actually help with the other half having faith in the project. While my Wife is not into the hobby, so does like the fish and the fish she likes require a bigger tank. So it was not to hard to get her on board with this build... after she made peace with the price tag.
I would suggest a few concrete anchors in the base plate. Glue will be a mess for removal later and the small holes for concrete are easy to patch. The fan may have trouble keeping humidity down...or just constantly run. I am not sure where you live, but in my neck of the woods there would be a lot of condensation in my garage with my sumps/fish room. I think the plywood will be fine. I would ensure you get treated wood and a moisture barrier. Not sure how long "temp" will be...
The average humidity here in Colorado is only 54%, so that is not as big an issue for us.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back