270g FOWLR and Fish Room Build (image heavy)

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice well thought out build so far.

But for losing garage space for a fish room...
No No No GIF

Thanks. I've got six garage spaces plus a barn... so losing a little space was no big deal.

2.jpg

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a really a big update today post wise, but a big day build wise. My father-in-law and I knocked out the framing for the fish room!

200gBuild-FishRoom-1.jpg

200gBuild-FishRoom-4.jpg

200gBuild-FishRoom-7.jpg

200gBuild-FishRoom-10.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the finished framing before moving the Wife's truck back in. Maybe if the weather is nice tomorrow I'll back it out again for that shot. I still need a door seal and door knob, but I think it is ready for the next phase. Hopefully one of my buddies is going to give me a hand next weekend hanging the drywall and getting the insulation in. Then it will just be trim and paint before I can start setting up some equipment in there.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice well thought out build so far.

But for losing garage space for a fish room...
No No No GIF

Between this statement and gif and with your avatar, I'm guessing you are a gear head? I used to be one, well I guess I still am, just not doing the go fast cars anymore. I'm now into Jeeps and overlanding.

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your method for building the rocks using the superglue. All my rock is live so I wonder if that would still work with it being wet...

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your method for building the rocks using the superglue. All my rock is live so I wonder if that would still work with it being wet...

Thank you. I think it would depend on how long you could have the rocks out of the water work with them. Some of my bigger formations took a while for the glue to set and dry enough to hold them... I'm talking a 1-2 hours. I did not use any super glue accelerator, so that might speed the process up some. Just not sure how well that stuff work when everything is wet.

If I was you, I would get some of the putty that sets up under water, some super glue and the accelerator. I'd stick a glob of putty between the two rocks and then use my method plus the accelerator to try and set them in position. The putty would be the main holding force once it setup completely. My method does require a lot of rock dust and fines, so you would need a lot of it on hand before you begin.

Stephensx04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between this statement and gif and with your avatar, I'm guessing you are a gear head? I used to be one, well I guess I still am, just not doing the go fast cars anymore. I'm now into Jeeps and overlanding.
You would be correct. 3 race cars. 3 atvs. We stay busy and garage space is a premium.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be correct. 3 race cars. 3 atvs. We stay busy and garage space is a premium.

Nice! I grew up in an Auto Cross family and I used to track my built 3000GT VR4. I ran 16psi on pump gas and was putting down 519 awhp and 521 torque. I also had an old R6 crotch rocket. When we had our little guy, I sold off all the fast stuff and went to really slow stuff.

Chinamans-.jpg

Loves_Lake_Powell-45.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of small updates. Last night I temporarily hooked up my BRS 75gpd Water Saver kit and their Booster Pump kit to my existing RODI system. I went from making 25g of RODI water in 24 hours to making 25g in about 3.5 hours!

200gBuild-FishRoom-1-2.jpg

200gBuild-FishRoom-2-2.jpg

It is a mess right now and is driving my OCD mad. But I needed to be able to speed up water production so I could fill this up:

200gBuild-Rocks-1-2.jpg

I'm not exactly sure when my aquarium is going to show up, so I thought I should go ahead and get my rocks into some water to help move some things along. I only have the 25g reservoir right now, so it is still a slow process. Hopefully I'll have the stock tank filled by tonight. My 100g reservoirs are suppose to ship on Monday, so maybe I'll have them towards the end of next week.

My buddy is also going to help me drywall in the fish room later today, so once the bigger reservoirs show up I can relocate my RODI system out there and get serious about making some water.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We ended up getting a late start on hanging the drywall yesterday, as in almost 3pm late. We managed to get all of the interior of the room hung by around 7pm.

200gBuild-FishRoom-163915.jpg

Later that night after my son went to bed, I headed back out and put up the insulation.

200gBuild-FishRoom-223402.jpg

A coworker had some insulation left over from doing his garage and gave me about 3.5 rolls. It was just enough to get the job done with almost nothing left over.

200gBuild-FishRoom-223422.jpg

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your size tank I would have stepped up to their 120W uv. In fact on my tank I am getting the 120W version of the same UV. But you could always run 2 if you ended up want more power.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your size tank I would have stepped up to their 120W uv. In fact on my tank I am getting the 120W version of the same UV. But you could always run 2 if you ended up want more power.
Going larger on the UV is always an option, but I felt it better to start with size that lifeguard recommends for my size tank. At this point I don't see the need to run a UV rated for nearly 3x my tank size. My UV will be ran off of a manifold, so if I need to upgrade in the future it will be easy to do. I would add an algae scrubber before upping the UV size if I find it to small to keep up with my tank however.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will love the Jebao returns, I run many and they work awesome! The 13000 you got really moves some water!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%

Back