270g FOWLR and Fish Room Build (image heavy)

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures yet of this next milestone, but we have fish in the new tank! I moved the Blond Naso (Billy) and the three Blue Hippos (Huey, Dewey, and Dory) over to the new tank on Wednesday evening from their temp tank. Then on Saturday I moved the pair of clowns (Leonardo and Bubbles), the Dasjardini Sailfin (Archer) and the Foxface Lo (Renegade) to the new tank as well. So far everyone is getting alone well enough. A little pecking order establishment going on, but never for every long.

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures yet of this next milestone, but we have fish in the new tank! I moved the Blond Naso (Billy) and the three Blue Hippos (Huey, Dewey, and Dory) over to the new tank on Wednesday evening from their temp tank. Then on Saturday I moved the pair of clowns (Leonardo and Bubbles), the Dasjardini Sailfin (Archer) and the Foxface Lo (Renegade) to the new tank as well. So far everyone is getting alone well enough. A little pecking order establishment going on, but never for every long.
Who is the tank boss??

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Synergy Reef sump is sweet!

How are you liking the flooring you put in? It looks great and works really well with you color scheme.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Synergy Reef sump is sweet!

How are you liking the flooring you put in? It looks great and works really well with you color scheme.
The sump is really sweet! lol I just installed dual Clarisea SK5000 filter rollers on it yesterday. It is a little tight getting all the thumb screws back in, but Synergy did a really good job making this sump modifiable to run either the Clarisea or filter socks... or both at the same time!

I really like the flooring so far. It is easy to clean and any spilled water just beads up on it. It is not cheap by any means though.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've still not broken out the "big camera" to take any pics of the tank with fish in it, but here are a few more shots of it from right after I put the rocks and sand in it.

200gBuildTank-064706.jpg

200gBuildTank-064741.jpg

200gBuildTank-064757.jpg

200gBuildTank-064723.jpg

200gBuildTank-064730.jpg

And a quick cell phone shot with some fish in there...

200gBuildTank-074714.jpg

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make adding the rock and sand easier, I made a quick and dirty table for me to stand on and set the rock on while I was moving them around.

200gBuildTank-152515.jpg

I built it so that it has front lip that will rest on the lip of the tank stand with a towel sandwiched between them. It worked very well and I plan on keeping it for future tank maintenance. I will need to beef up the long lateral support as I initially just used some scrap plywood I had laying around. I also think I will put the supports on hinges so that I can break it down for easy storage and setup.... one day!

I also made some simple screen covers for the top of the tank to keep in any jumps we might get.

200gBuildTank-204001.jpg

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over on the fish room side of things, I got the UV mounted, but not plumbed (ignore the messing heater cords, I'm still working on cable management and stuff)...

200gBuildFishRoom-171930.jpg

I also stained up yet another batch of PVC fittings, this time to build the manifold to run the UV and maybe some reactors down the road...

200gBuildFishRoom-153641.jpg

Earlier this week I removed the filter sock setup in the sump...

200gBuildSump-095500.jpg

And replaced them with dual Clarisea SK-5000 roller filters.

200gBuildSump-053403.jpg

200gBuildSump-194348.jpg

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest project this past week and a half was laying out and building the apex controller board.

200gBuildElectronics-173803.jpg

The use of a self centering drill bit keeps the screws from going off at an angle and making your modules unlevel.
200gBuildElectronics-173014.jpg

200gBuildElectronics-050118.jpg

Once mounted to the wall, it was time to start connecting some equipment to it. To keep things tidy, I ordered some rotating flat plug extension cords.

200gBuildElectronics-114835.jpg

And to make it easy to keep track of what cord went to what, I make up some labels on my laser engraver.

200gBuildElectronics-093733.jpg

200gBuildElectronics-093720.jpg

I'm splitting the critical devices across two EB832s, while a third one (to be mounted on the other end of the sump) will control my mixing station, UV and manifold based equipment.

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest project this past week and a half was laying out and building the apex controller board.

200gBuildElectronics-173803.jpg

The use of a self centering drill bit keeps the screws from going off at an angle and making your modules unlevel.
200gBuildElectronics-173014.jpg

200gBuildElectronics-050118.jpg

Once mounted to the wall, it was time to start connecting some equipment to it. To keep things tidy, I ordered some rotating flat plug extension cords.

200gBuildElectronics-114835.jpg

And to make it easy to keep track of what cord went to what, I make up some labels on my laser engraver.

200gBuildElectronics-093733.jpg

200gBuildElectronics-093720.jpg

I'm splitting the critical devices across two EB832s, while a third one (to be mounted on the other end of the sump) will control my mixing station, UV and manifold based equipment.
Oh my!! I am SO loving the laser etched naming on your cords! It’s the little details like that that make your build so cool.

now you’ve done it. I now need to build my own Apex display rather than using pre-canned offerings.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back