Softie Nano Tank

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I should have started this build thread months ago but better late than never. So I got into the hobby through my parents. When I was little they kept lionfish, puffers, triggers, angels, and eels. I never remember them having any coral, though. When I was 11 they gave me a 28 gallon Marineland bowfront for Christmas. Probably the best Christmas gift I’ve ever received. My parents made the mistake of suggesting seahorses for my tank. I’m upset that my parents didn’t do a little more research before suggesting animals because, of course, none of the seahorses lasted long. I had the tank up for while, but animals just seemed to always die off. I think it was for a number of reasons but for one I don’t remember us doing very many water changes. After the last animal died from one batch of livestock, I left the tank empty and eventually it was taken down. Fast forward to January 10th of this year. My family had just moved from Texas to South Carolina over the summer. The tank was just sitting empty in my room and school was out (I’m in high school) so I had time to get it going again. This time I was determined to get it right. No more listening to my parents’ tank suggestions (sorry Mom) and no more going into anything without lots of research. At first I wanted to try seahorses again, but eventually I decided against it. After thinking about keeping saltwater tanks, I realized that it was something I had the potential to really enjoy for a long time and I wanted to start getting as much experience as I could as early as possible... and what gets you more experience in saltwater than coral right? I had always been intimidated by coral because all I knew about them was that they needed “special care,” but I was ready for a challenge. Over the next seven months, yes SEVEN, I gathered all the equipment I needed and did a TON of research (thank you BRS!). Finally, on November 7th, I got my first corals. I am a huge softie fan (but not just because I’m a beginner:)), so I got a toadstool, a devils hand, and a nephthea. I also have a pajama cardinal, a hermit crab, three nassarius snails, and a feather duster(hitchhiker). Since I’m a high schooler, my budget is not huge so I haven’t been buying only top of the line equipment but I still did a lot of research to make sure the equipment I was getting would do its job.

Equipment:
(I have no space for a sump:()
  • Aqueon HOB filter
  • BRS heater with an InkBird controller
  • AquaticLife HOB protein skimmer
  • Tunze powerhead(that I just took out because it’s never on; my filter creates plenty of flow)
  • Hipargero LED light
  • Tunze ATO
And what everyone has been waiting for...
IMG_4381.jpeg

I painted the back over the Thanksgiving break and I’m in the process of creating a bowfront lid. I’ve bought everything I need at Lowes and started putting the back frame together but I haven’t attempted the curve yet (yikes). The picture shows some white light but actually right now I only have on blues because (as you can probably tell) I’ve been having lots of algae growth here and there on the rocks. I’ve done a 20 gallon water change and three days of light out since the picture. We’ll see if I can’t get my phosphates down to “acceptable levels.” Last time I checked (Monday) they were at 0.11. I got a BRS 7 stage RODI unit as an early Christmas present so that should help (I was using distilled). Thanks for reading!

And a little side note- I’m getting a Jellyfish Art tank for Christmas but I haven’t decided if I should make another build thread for that or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it’s about time I post my first update! Today I picked up a yellow rose goby and candy cane pistol shrimp pair and a firefish. I also finally finished the screen I was making except I do want to paint it black at some point. I think I could be done stocking fish wise because I’m not a fan of crowded tanks but I’d love opinions on if my current three fish are enough or if there are any other good fish additions I could make.

Attachments

• 0579582B-32F2-4D75-817E-37DE2EB300D0.jpeg
    0579582B-32F2-4D75-817E-37DE2EB300D0.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 78
  • B3D58512-5026-4CFB-B127-7622DA4F41B4.jpeg
    B3D58512-5026-4CFB-B127-7622DA4F41B4.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 03842309-D69B-4514-B7B1-E9EFF5D2B5A6.jpeg
    03842309-D69B-4514-B7B1-E9EFF5D2B5A6.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 91

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! I also started my first tank when I was in high school and the best advice I can give is to take your time and respect the natural course. Its very easy to get swept up and want to continue to push forward to see achievement, but the best rewards come with time. I definitely went too fast and unfortunately I reap the consequences with losing a lot of livestock and battling the algae/diatom/cyano outbreak that followed.

In a 28 gallon you could probably have another couple of fish if you wanted if they were a small swimming fish like a pair of clown or something similar. I think what you have though is a really good start for an interesting mix of fish though. With burrowing fish/shrimp, you'll just want to be sure your rockwork is solid and won't topple over since they have a knack for getting under and disrupting the foundation of things you thought were steady.

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also decided to include my jellyfish tank on this build thread. It’s a JellyfishArt Jelly Cyclinder Nano, which is 2 gallons. I know, I know not the best size for a beginner but I plan on testing the water every day or at least every other day. It’s currently cycling with some raw shrimp. I started the cycle Monday so it should have about a week or two left. I plan on feeding a mixture of dry food and baby brine shrimp that I’ll be hatching. I got in the hatchery a few days ago.

Attachments

• E6C7AF93-E96E-421F-B7EF-F05468F5C2F5.jpeg
    E6C7AF93-E96E-421F-B7EF-F05468F5C2F5.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 832AD291-322A-46AB-B318-CC2648FD5211.jpeg
    832AD291-322A-46AB-B318-CC2648FD5211.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! I also started my first tank when I was in high school and the best advice I can give is to take your time and respect the natural course. Its very easy to get swept up and want to continue to push forward to see achievement, but the best rewards come with time. I definitely went too fast and unfortunately I reap the consequences with losing a lot of livestock and battling the algae/diatom/cyano outbreak that followed.

In a 28 gallon you could probably have another couple of fish if you wanted if they were a small swimming fish like a pair of clown or something similar. I think what you have though is a really good start for an interesting mix of fish though. With burrowing fish/shrimp, you'll just want to be sure your rockwork is solid and won't topple over since they have a knack for getting under and disrupting the foundation of things you thought were steady.
Thanks! Yea I’m definitely feeling the algae battle right now. I’m a little nervous about clownfish because I’ve heard they can become bullies but I know that also depends on the type of clown. Thanks for the suggestion! And I did push my rocks down so that they were touching the bottom of my tank instead of just sitting on the sand.

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would definitely let the tank settle for awhile (months!) and let it come to an equilibrium and you'll find that algae battle become easier and easier.

Clowns can definitely be jerks and territorial which is why a lot of reefers will add them last once everyone else has had time to claim their own territory.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Jellyfish to help you on that quest. I know they are very unique in their care though but it sounds like you're doing your research before getting into things. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished acclimating and put them all in. Thankfully I was able to guide the pistol to my pre-dug hole. The pistol and firefish are out of sight now but I was able to get a picture of the yellow rose.
2CB1B2E1-C42F-4BFC-A6CB-7020BEC83392.jpeg
Also I forgot to include a picture of my screen in my first post today so here it is. My blood sweat and tears:
BB9DB58A-C28E-40B0-B2D4-7FB59A1F629D.jpeg

I used this guide- https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/top-screen-73-gallon-bowfront.24559/
Working around the HOB equipment was fun

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’ll do a little update. I got good news and bad news. Bad news is my firefish died mysteriously on Monday after doing seemingly great Sunday and even Monday morning. I suspected my pistol after I discovered that he had moved rocks over to where the firefish had been hiding and was found dead, but after posting about it and doing some research sounds like that probably wasn’t the case. Good news is it happened within 48 hours of me buying him so I will be able to get a replacement.

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it’s definitely time for an update. I finally picked up a new firefish from the store yesterday! This one is already doing great... my new fish usually stop hiding and start eating 2-3 days after I get them, but this firefish came out first day and ate so much food that my yellow rose goby barely got any! (I fed a lot more today) BTW my yellow rose and shrimp are still doing great. I did notice not long after I got them that my yellow rose is missing a fin, but he’s been getting along fine without it and I have since named him Fin. I’ve also named my pistol shrimp Pistol Pete- I gotta admit I’m pretty proud of that one.
Here’s my new firefish Maggie the 2nd:
83EB0822-0E0B-4E80-91F7-223B55C4548B.jpeg
I also finally painted my screen lid black and it looks pretty good I must say...
41E56466-D2C3-4FF6-836E-0B9776AFDE6D.jpeg

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And since I’ve decided to include jellyfish tank updates on this thread I am thrilled to announce that today I FINALLY got my three moon jellyfish for my jelly tank! Introducing Travis, Bieritz, and Queenie:
FB6A0EED-7BBC-4922-AF63-0FB34CF76B80.jpeg

I love them already.:) Here they are when they were first added and they sunk to the bottom (which is normal thankfully)
59BF7D52-2515-49D8-8501-CBBAFFC4A765.jpeg

I’m supposed to feed them for the first time tomorrow so wish me luck!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have moon jellies here. They are seasonal.
Lol
I used to collect em in a bucket and put em in a display up north on the penninsula.
Kool high fin goby! Awsome fish. Good job on the net top. Gonna make 1 just like that here soon. No bow. ;) lol
D

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have moon jellies here. They are seasonal.
Lol
I used to collect em in a bucket and put em in a display up north on the penninsula.
Kool high fin goby! Awsome fish. Good job on the net top. Gonna make 1 just like that here soon. No bow. ;) lol
D
Thanks! And you’ll have a wayyy easier time making a top without a bow. The torture was worth it but man it was tough. Good luck on it!

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how you added all the corners for your hob equipment. I would went straight across. Lol
D
Well I wish I didn’t have to but after wanting a firefish and reading tons of stories about them (and other fish) jumping out of tanks, even out of the smallest holes, I was paranoid out of my mind and I told myself I would NOT let my firefish die of carpet surfing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to include my future stocking plans for my reef tank... I’m wanting to get a tailspot blenny when my LFS tells me they have one in. Sounds like they’re harder to find rn due to the Hawaii ban so it might be awhile but I’m in no rush. After that I really don’t know what other stocking additions to make (if any) so I’m open to any suggestions

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just realized I haven’t posted ANY pictures of my yellow rose and pistol together in my tank so shame on me. I think I was gonna post a video a while ago now that I think about it but I couldn’t get it to work. Anyways I took a couple screenshots from the video. I loveee watching my pistol come out of his hole and move around grains of sand while my yellow rose keeps watch. Makes my day. Here they are:
CFB50B44-78C2-4DE1-B6CD-1EA2B625783A.jpeg

147F7C3F-2A0E-49C1-81D7-8EC8B5923D46.jpeg

Plus here’s my most recent FTS for fun:
DE78CB04-FF2B-4123-82B8-0780582C7999.jpeg

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a ton has happened since I’ve last posted. First of all around two months ago I made a huge mistake. I was cleaning my sand and I got way too much junk in the water that it killed my firefish and my yellow rose. I wasn’t sure if my pistol shrimp would be ok without his pair so shortly after I went to go get a new goby and I got a yellow watchman. Unfortunately he disappeared after two days and a month ago I finally found his skeleton under my pistol shrimp’s rock because I taking down my tank for a move from Texas to Charleston, SC. Also shortly before that move I was able to get a pink cabbage coral frag for free from a reef tank at my dad’s work. Thankfully everything survived the move. A week after I went to the store for another shrimp goby and bought another bigger and healthier-looking yellow watchman. I also saw a tailspot blenny and since I had been looking for one I bought it too. The yellow watchman paired with my shrimp the next day and both fish have been doing great in my tank.
Here’s some pictures of my new additions:
E1A24BFA-16CB-4738-A5F7-FA8C7D64E050.jpeg
F9C491A1-9B04-4D4E-AF3D-93046BD027CA.jpeg
A202078E-FDD8-4AED-AC8B-7A54F686EC4B.jpeg
E6E3B21D-ED6F-4815-99C0-320E6ED6EE2D.jpeg
CBFEA650-D488-401B-99FD-BDEAA8EA8DBA.jpeg
987191C2-006E-4724-B36E-0B63E518B4CD.jpeg

OP
OP
Landers

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for jellyfish updates, two of my jellyfish got huge rips in their bells from my move across the country. I worked so hard to get all the bubbles out of their bag before I put them in their Styrofoam box but there must have still been enough left to do damage. Thankfully one wasn’t harmed at all and the other two have survived through target feeding brine shrimp about twice a day although one healed MUCH smaller than the other and lost a stomach and tentacle. I have noticed recently that that jellyfish is growing a new tentacle but no progress on a new stomach so maybe they can’t grow a stomach idk.
Below are the two with giant holes. I wasn’t sure if the first one was going to survive but they both pulled through amazingly. Jellyfish are resilient
154DB08A-5218-426F-9D0F-5D4E2A60A7E9.jpeg

9047FEFC-41B2-44B2-9131-09063AECB09F.jpeg

The other photos are after they healed. I circled the new tentacle I noticed:
48697599-66FF-4F40-9053-615E1B7FCB44.jpeg

You can see the three stomachs:
BEAD830D-473F-4836-831A-A7D6D5C5606B.jpeg

This is the other one that had a hole. As you can see it has four stomachs but two are smaller.):
C9942D5E-D088-4E69-A3FA-34CAC8F9BE49.jpeg

Here is my other jellyfish for reference. Glad at least one jelly came out unharmed.
D90C2790-E8EA-49B5-93F9-C7F2C10C3A21.jpeg

And here is a size reference. The non deformed jelly is on the left and the one with three stomachs is the right. My other jellyfish is about the same size as the one on the left somehow.
3C9194E7-14DF-4F67-95DD-2694E1CF20E7.jpeg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back