Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you did try a. Little bit bigger pump
No I did not. My previous statement is somewhat anecdotal, but my first hand experience has been that I have had difficulties getting the water flow to smoothly go through my media basket with just the stock returns. Due to the baffle design in the rear sump area, the water tends to build up in the media basket chamber and overflow the side of the media basket if there is any impedance at all. I’ve drilled out numerous extra holes in my Intank basket to help with water flow, use a very thin piece of filter sponge, and have found that I need to frequently clean everything in order to keep the water smoothly flowing through the basket.

That being said, my tank stays very clean and I am very happy with my filtration, despite not running a skimmer.

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I did not. My previous statement is somewhat anecdotal, but my first hand experience has been that I have had difficulties getting the water flow to smoothly go through my media basket with just the stock returns. Due to the baffle design in the rear sump area, the water tends to build up in the media basket chamber and overflow the side of the media basket if there is any impedance at all. I’ve drilled out numerous extra holes in my Intank basket to help with water flow, use a very thin piece of filter sponge, and have found that I need to frequently clean everything in order to keep the water smoothly flowing through the basket.

That being said, my tank stays very clean and I am very happy with my filtration, despite not running a skimmer.
Got ya I finally took my basket out an stuff it with the filter media an floss to use the hole column as my basket itt works much better an bigger area so I don’t have to worry about overflowing. I was looking at the maxi jet dc pumps

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t increase the flow too much even without a basket, there are a lot of posts about people having issues when replacing the stock returns. I’ve thought about taking the basket out, but I have been hesitant because it seems the water wouldn’t be forced through my filter media and could just go around it, plus making it more difficult to remove and clean. How long have you ran your tank without the basket?

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro shots! (I let my glass get dirty to focus for the first one!)
E41275C6-56F1-48E1-B4EA-88603AEBC03F.jpeg
3B9B5F96-FAF2-4F51-B981-865F43205E0D.jpeg
1E31C7FD-6D5B-4231-9E49-5B25B5354DBC.jpeg
36649D8E-DC68-4B3A-AE82-F467F101E8C4.jpeg

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update: just discovered that 2 part dosing will gradually raise salinity over time.

did some testing last night, as I’m almost 1 week into a Fluconazole dose. Just wanted to double check things, as I have removed both my carbon and Purigen. Only remaining filtration is biomedia, a filter sponge, and phosguard.

results:

salinity: 1.028 (refractometer)
Alk: 7.0 (Salifert)
Ph: 8.2 (api)
Nitrates: undetectable with API
Ca: 415 (Salifert)
ammonia: undetectable with API

freaked out when I saw my salinity. Asked around, did some research, was told that 2 part will gradually raise it. This is my fault, I haven’t checked my actual tank waters salinity in quite some time...(just the wc water). However, it’s apparent that my corals did not care (but i will be rectifying the situation immediately!)

current FTS

A1DE964A-37FE-4CFE-8BA6-289145883329.jpeg

Last edited:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found you... and I'm all caught up.

I should have remembered the 2 part thing when you asked me. 2 part is basically Calcium Chloride(CaCl2) and Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3). These do some magic chemistry stuffs in the tank and the corals make Calcium Carbonate(CaCO3) which leaves a Sodium a hydrogen and two Chlorine free. Sodium and Chlorine make sodium chloride(NaCl aka salt) fairly easily, and the extra chlorine and hydrogen evaporate...

At least, that's what makes sense to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found you... and I'm all caught up.

I should have remembered the 2 part thing when you asked me. 2 part is basically Calcium Chloride(CaCl2) and Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3). These do some magic chemistry stuffs in the tank and the corals make Calcium Carbonate(CaCO3) which leaves a Sodium a hydrogen and two Chlorine free. Sodium and Chlorine make sodium chloride(NaCl aka salt) fairly easily, and the extra chlorine and hydrogen evaporate...

At least, that's what makes since to me.
Like you said, magic chemistry ;)

painless lesson in why I should be checking my water more often. No harm, no foul, and no algae!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back