29 gallon solana cardiff/ 24 gallon jbj nano cube/ 10 gallon quarintine.

OP
OP
jordan banks

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to share my quarintine tank with everybody today
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402376368.993090.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402376398.469309.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402376423.002690.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402376460.310309.jpg

OP
OP
jordan banks

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to keep all of my set ups simple as well as my quarintine. Right now I don't have any fish in there so I'm not running a light but when I do I run a t5. It's a ten gallon with matching stand. It has a marineland hot magnum canister filter and heater. I even have a little mag float in there. This I have set up permanently and it's proof that quarintine tanks don't have to be ulgy eye sores.

OP
OP
jordan banks

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I get a new fish I drip acclimate with a air line and valve for an hour. When the fish is in the tank I add prazi pro to eliminate any internal or external parasitic worms. After a week I do a water change and add another dose. Five days later, another water change then I move onto copper treatment with coppersafe. I let this set for a week until all spots are gone then do another water change. Last I use maracyn for an anti biotic for the five recommended days. If all is well and the fish looks and acts great it is removed and put in the display tank. I have found this to be a bullet proof method and have not have any losses due to disease since.

OP
OP
jordan banks

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is being run by stock equipment as well. I upgraded the light to the solana disco ball that I bought seperate from the tank. It was used had salt caked all over it and disgusting. The ballast was also bad. I payed $80 for it. Which looking back I did over pay considering the condition it was in. But the folks I bought it from were dishonest couldn't tell me that the ballast sucked. It's the reason I refuse to do any business with the lfs in my town. They are disgusting pigs! They lie right to my face and did nothing but sell me the wrong things on purpose. Anyways, now that that's out I restored this light fixture back to its original quality
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402387289.887652.jpg
buffed on my buffing wheel. Nice and shiny!

OP
OP
jordan banks

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a before and after pics of what it looked like when the old ballast was running but I did have some drama with ordering lights on e bay which is the first time I got burned by bad business on e bay with dry goods. I ordered a 15 k 150 watt metal halide and it was yellow as all hell.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402387583.501419.jpg
then I write to seller and tell them about it and they send me another one that was no better:( I ordered from another company and they sent me two 20k used bulbs. They very defanitly used because the tips were black not clear like they were supposed to be. Even burned out in a week! I got my money back. Finally today I got a new 22k bulb in.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402387842.415287.jpg

OP
OP
jordan banks

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks much better, I'm finally happy. Now on to the skimmer cause I had drama with that as well. Let me give you people a fair warning on the oceanic bio cube protein skimmer. People don't buy this product! It is not worth it. I expected much better from oceanic but in reality it's a piece of junk over priced just because it has their stupid name on it. To begin with I had to change out the air pump to another brand because the stock air pump sounds like a vibrator on steroids. Totally takes away from the tranquility of the tank. Got that fixed. The next issue was the collection cup. A total piece of trash! When ever foam hit the top of the lid it would open up causing the waste to not collect properly. The lid on the collection cup does not secure firmly in place like it should. Because of this I could not have the tank skimmed properly which led to water quality issues and the yellow light and bad ballast cause an angry algae bloom that I've been battling with. I did some thinking and took the collection cup off my mini skimmer I have in storage, much better. The lid stays on and it is properly pulling waste out of the water.

OP
OP
jordan banks

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon in my tanks but on this one I have mangroves growing in it. They help very little with the water quality. They do consume a considerable amount of magnesium to help export the salt from their system as proven by my tests. I purchased 9 of them for looks really. This tank is a clam dominated tank. I have 7. One 7 inch squamosa, two 3 inch derasa, one 2 inch derasa, one 2 inch maxima, one 3 inch crocea and one 6 inch ultra Tahitian. Yes I said it! The Tahitian time bomb. I've had him for 2 months and is doing very well. I don't know what all the hype is about these clams doing poorly in home aquaria. They love light and need to be placed as near to it as possible and left alone and not moved around.

OP
OP
jordan banks

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping up with their demand on calcium is not hard as it sounds like it would be. I use brightwell aquatics elemental. I am going to try adding some ricordea florida in there a few weeks. I had to remove all my coral and put it in my 29 gallon solana because my blue velvet damsel developed a taste for coral. All I have for coral in there is one lone neon green tonga mushroom, 3 inches and appears to be healthy. I'm thinking the fish won't eat the mushrooms so maybe all I might have in there is ricordea. I will keep posting updates on my builds. Thanks for viewing:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back