29 Gallon Tank in 3rd floor apartment.

ReefWitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building my first tank right now, It is a small tank, only 29 gallons (30"-12"-18" in) I have it sitting on a 58.8lb wooden cabinet. My math says the entire thing will weigh a little over 388lbs.

The problem is that I live on the third floor of an apartment complex. The tank will be in the center of my bedroom, pushed flush with an exterior wall with no windows. The apartments appear to be reasonably high quality for the area (Eastern Virginia in the Langley - Ft. Eustis area) This is all the information I have to back me up.

I think this should be fine but if any of yall with construction or contracting experience see some big red flag that I am not thinking of please let me know.

Thx u!

nelsw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be totally fine.

A fair comparison for your setup would be a washing machine, which on average has a 20g cap up to 35g … so if it can throw that tub around then the relatively static weight of your tank should be fine.

Like all of us though, when the urge arrives to size up, check your building plans (Publix record) to know exactly what your limits are.

Oh … and it doesn’t hurt to mention the setup with your HOA or MGMT office as well … not all buildings allow tanks in the paperwork but there’s usually a waterbed addendum they can attach if you ask nicely.

GL!

p.s. I started with a 15g and now I keep a 180g display and 40g sump in an 11th floor apartment! lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ReefWitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be totally fine.

A fair comparison for your setup would be a washing machine, which on average has a 20g cap up to 35g … so if it can throw that tub around then the relatively static weight of your tank should be fine.

Like all of us though, when the urge arrives to size up, check your building plans (Publix record) to know exactly what your limits are.

Oh … and it doesn’t hurt to mention the setup with your HOA or MGMT office as well … not all buildings allow tanks in the paperwork but there’s usually a waterbed addendum they can attach if you ask nicely.

GL!

p.s. I started with a 15g and now I keep a 180g display and 40g sump in an 11th floor apartment! lol
Thank you! by now I have already built and partly stocked the tank and everything seems fine.

Upvote 0

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry much about that. You should be just fine, in fact, you probably could have gone with something bigger but anything goes wrong, it would be that much harder to deal with.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back