29 to 75 gallon tank upgrade

mpl000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys figured id start a build thread for my new build and get some feedback!

I got into saltwater tanks about a year ago with a rimmed 29 gallon tank. I'm starting the steps to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank. Currently in the process of making the stand for the 75 gallon tank. I went with a structure of 2x4s which I'm cladding with 3/4" birch plywood. for the finish I'm planning on doing two coats of BIN shellac primer and then 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Emerald urethane. When it came to picking color me and my SO chose Oceanside which is a dark blueish green. We thought that was pretty fitting and we are hoping that it will look just as good on the stand as it did on the paint sample. There is always the chance it will clash with everything though.

When it comes to the tank itself we are using a 75 gallon Aqueon rimmed tank from Petco. For the overflow we are using a drilled Fiji Cube 1200 GPH overflow box. I'm hoping the drilling goes well as there seems to be some chance of the Aqueon tank backs being tempered. I've checked it out with polarized glasses and all the other tricks and it seems to not be, but I'm still very nervous that it will end up being tempered. This overflow uses a bean animal design which I wanted for the redundancy and quiet operation aspects. This will be plumbed down into the sump with a couple of unions for easy assembly. Using a Spears gate valve to tune to flow. One question I have if anyone who has used this overflow before is setting up the elbows in the box itself as it looks like it will be a tight fit. Some example photos would be appreciated. For flow I have a Hydor Koralia 1500 GPH powerhead which I'm looking to expand upon. Lighting comes in the form of the black box that i had above my 29. I know this isn't great and will eventually be upgrading to something that can handle corals but this tank is just a fowlr set up right now.

The Sump itself is going to be the old 29 gallon tank to save some money not having to buy a full sump. I'm planning on using the Fiji cube diy sump kit to divide the sections and allow for use of filter socks. I'm planning on making the protein skimmer area as small as possible since i will be using a reef octopus classic 90 HOB which I'm bringing over from my 29 gallon tank. Eventually I hope to move this to a frag tank or quarantine tank, but for now this will give me more room for a larger refugium. On that note I'm looking for cost effective refugium lighting options if anyone has some suggestions! I'm also looking for suggestions on the return pump/pumps. Ideally id like to have two pumps for redundancy but i think to start out with I will just have one and leave a union plus valve to separate the two return bulkheads later down the line. My leading option right now is one of the Jebao mct-6000s but I'm nervous about longevity/quality. I cant deny I like the price a lot more than some of the other options.

I'm hoping to have some photos of the stand this weekend as it gets closer to completion and then pictures of the tank plumbing and other prep.
Hope you guys enjoy and id love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
Michael

OP
OP
M

mpl000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting around to posting some pictures of the stand. Getting close to paint and hanging the doors. Then it's lots and lots of plumbing.
20201123_142118.jpg
Snapchat-768693905.jpg
16067653236327344050019911317483.jpg

OP
OP
M

mpl000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled the holes for the return bulkheads, I think it could have gone better but as long as it holds water il be happy. The inside chipped a little bit. Any ideas on how to get a cleaner hole? I used a wood jig to keep the drill bit straight and taped the inside to stop the plug from falling.
Snapchat-810629151.jpg
Snapchat-895597752.jpg

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled the holes for the return bulkheads, I think it could have gone better but as long as it holds water il be happy. The inside chipped a little bit. Any ideas on how to get a cleaner hole? I used a wood jig to keep the drill bit straight and taped the inside to stop the plug from falling.
Snapchat-810629151.jpg
Snapchat-895597752.jpg
It's looking great another tip for drilling glass start your bit slightly angled till a small groove is started then bring it flat it will tend not to wonder on you

OP
OP
M

mpl000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on tank progress since it has been awhile.

Progress has been slow as I have had a lot of things going on and not a lot of time to work on tank. But here are some things I have managed to get done!

-Door hinges and doors have been attached
-All the plumbing for the tank is complete which I then leak checked. I also totally forgot to take pictures as I was super stressed about making sure it wasn't leaking.
20210117_000401.jpg
Snapchat-617270715.jpg

-Got the sump baffles installed into the 29 Gallon tank
Snapchat-1029371043.jpg

-Top trim has been added
-Stand is primed for paint
IMG_20210116_195223_01.jpg

should have the stand painted by the end of the weekend and then have to transport everything to its final location.
Finally seeing the end of the tunnel on this project!

OP
OP
M

mpl000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Update. Tank has been up and running for awhile now. I transfered over some established media and rock to get everything going and finally added the fish this past weekend. So far so good, nitrate is low and the fish are eating well. Also set up the refugium running 8 hours a day and it seems to be doing okay, time will tell. current state below. Still need to do some serious cable management but one of my friends is making a cord organizer out of some Sintra plastic that will have nice cut outs for the pump and ato controls.
20210310_151330.jpg

Here is the tank pre setup
Snapchat-90814511.jpg

I didn't end up painting the back but I'm brainstorming other ideas. I really like seeing the plumbing I spent so much time on but I get that most people aren't me. I also have to redo the paint on the other door as it was not as smooth as I wanted it. Letting the tank adjust to the increase in livestock and looking for a flame hawkfish to join them eventually. Also looking for a zebra eel that can start in this tank and eventually be upgraded to a bigger tank that's in planning in a year or two. Lighting is another area I'm still not decided on. Using a black box for the refugium currently and thinking 2x radion xr15's for the top but can't decide if they are worth the $$$

Very happy that the tank finally has movement. I have to admit I spend way to much time looking at them vs working!

Back