OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How weird. The tank it came from is right next to my desk in my bedroom so I'm surprised. I either never noticed or it's new behavior?
Don't know lol could just be a goofball. During the day everything is normal and it eats well so that rules out lateral line problems or just about anything else I can think of that would cause it. I don't think it's physical as my clown sometimes adopts very unnatural sleeping positions as well. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight, usually by 11:30 it's out cold. I also thought it was odd as I remember reading another member thinking they never slept as it was active day and night.

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the being active day and night has always been my experience with them. Hope she's okay!
After many nights of observation and trying to get a picture I finally did. It was not as easy as I thought it was going to be as she is a very jumpy fish, the flash from my phone kept waking her up every time I tried. The picture I got is horrible but you can see her sideways and face plastered on a rock.
20200519_005948.jpg

She doesn't do it every night, atleast not that I have noticed but it could be she is going to sleep later than I am (after 1:30am). All in all I feel it's just an odd sleeping behavior and not health related as she seams uneffected by anything else throughout the day. Eats and swims normally and displays otherwise normal behavior for the species. Interesting.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you need this for your doser

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you need this for your doser
Ahh I see, added to cart. I'm going to be picking up a third dosing pump to do mag so when I do I'll switch all my dosing lines to 5mm id and hopefully not tear my hair out inserting them into the dosing container. Might be a good time to do colored tubing.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this to adapt the X1's to larger diameter hose that will work with 1/4" John Guest bulkheads? This hose has the correct ID for the connectors the X1's come with but also the correct OD to fit into the 1/4" JG bulkheads.

What I do is this. X1s tiny rubber tubing to adapter I posted above. Then regular airline tubing. Regular airline tubing then fits over 3/16th size rigid tubing.

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update, everything seams to be doing good, all the corals seam to be cruising and all the fish seam happy and healthy.
20200520_182852_HDR.jpg

Also some good news it's been about 2 months since I almost nuked my tank with an alk overdose
Capture+_2020-05-20-19-02-29.png

And coralline algae is finally returning! And what's the first place it decides to set up shop? Off course my power head lol
20200520_183350.jpg

Also spotted a really nice zakura rainbow morph
20200520_183432.jpg

But not all is well, not everyone shows you their problems, but I will

First one is gsp, thought I killed it, thought I covered it completely.... I was wrong, gotta give it to gsp it's a tough sob
20200520_183003.jpg

Second is xenia, everytime I frag it I find it in new places, I'll take aptasia over xenia at this point lol in all honesty I could have probably gotten rid of it already but I tend to forget to stay on top of it and also just plain being lazy about.
20200520_191201.jpg

All in all they aren't problems that can't be easily fixed so over all I'm pretty happy where the tank is right now.

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t use RODI? Wow......what kind of water do you use? Looks like whatever you are using is working great!
I use filtered water for mixing and top offs and have had great success so far, our fridge doesn't have a water dispenser so we usually have 20 gallons of drinking water on hand. An rodi unit is in the works, looking forward to not having to make water runs.

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you dose daily at the moment?

Wonderful looking tank, I have a 30 odd gallon and too.
15ml daily of alk and cal and maybe 15-20ml of mag a week. I don't do many water changes so I manually dose mag and iron as needed.

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poly filter has been in 48hrs now and it has not changed color other than from detritus build up. Phew! Going to leave it in another 48 and see what happens. Also running a little experiment with a little square of it, one in tap water and one in distilled water (about 3 Oz) with 10 drops of ammonia in it.
20200525_164050.jpg

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15ml daily of alk and cal and maybe 15-20ml of mag a week. I don't do many water changes so I manually dose mag and iron as needed.

OK thanks - interesting I’m doing 20ml alk and cal, 4ml mag a day. I am trying to lift my alk slowly, I’be been hanging around 8.0 dkh, however I also have a few montipora (plating and encrusting), existing sps and it is a mature reef with heaps of snails and coralline algae, I imagine they would need some more alk?

I’m trying Seachem Reefplus for trace + aminos.

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks - interesting I’m doing 20ml alk and cal, 4ml mag a day. I am trying to lift my alk slowly, I’be been hanging around 8.0 dkh, however I also have a few montipora (plating and encrusting), existing sps and it is a mature reef with heaps of snails and coralline algae, I imagine they would need some more alk?

I’m trying Seachem Reefplus for trace + aminos.
Yup coralline algae uses up alk and cal, I nuked mine a few months back and it is slowly returning so I'm sure my dosing amounts will increase here in the near future. I've been pretty stable at 9.0-9.5 with my mag right around 1350.

My biggest jump in consumption was the clam, that thing is a monster.

Back