20200523_194524.jpg
20200523_194501.jpg
20200525_141503.jpg

Cowboy1411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reefing and I was wondering if you could tell me how you set the fuge up and whats the benefit of having that. Thanks for any advice. Mine is stock but I have added the intank media basket in the middle chamber

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reefing and I was wondering if you could tell me how you set the fuge up and whats the benefit of having that. Thanks for any advice. Mine is stock but I have added the intank media basket in the middle chamber
The fuge or refugium is just a place for algea to grow out of the display for the function of removing nutrients such as phosphates and nitrates. These two byproducts build up as the end result of feedings. As the algae grows it uses these nutrients, taking them out of the water by incorporating them in its structure. When you harvest the algae (remove 25-50%) you essentially remove the nutrients from the system for good. It isn't the algae that removes them from the system it's the removal of some of the algae that permanently removes them. If the algae is left to die in the tank it will rerelease the nutrients it had stored up.

The main benefit of this is stability. By carefully balancing the import (feeding) and export (harvesting) you can effectively keep your nutrient levels very stable. Need more nutrients? Feed more, need less? Feed less. This can also be done by lengthening or shortening the amount of time your refugium light is on making it a very customizable form of export. Another advantage is not having to do so many water changes as the algae is removing the nutrient buildup usually diluted by water changes. This doesn't mean you never have to do them again because water changes also restore many trace elements so there's that. There are also other minor advantages like raising pH and creating a safe heaven for copepods among others.

OK so seen as how you already have the media basket all you would need is the fuge basket and a light of your choice.

The InTank fuge basket is actually pretty nice and I'd say it is definitely worth the price, however I'm sure a diy eggcrate basket will work just as good.
20200128_102253.jpg

My first light was a total diy using car accessory led lights and the reflector off the 14biocube hood lights. It was very weak but it worked OK. Not ideal as it was way underpowered. I used 2 red strips, a white strip and a blue strip.
20200123_205601_HDR.jpg

My current light is an indoor plant grow light with the exact spectrum needed for photosynthesis, it's very effective at growing cheato.

20190627_182557_HDR.jpg
20200120_224743.jpg

You can tell I peeled the backing only where the light sits as to not flood the whole chamber with light and potentially grow algae where I don't want it. Occasionally I will find hair algae in the rear chamber which isn't as issue, it's actually good as I can just scrape it off and toss it thus exporting nutrients anyway.

I added heatsinks and a 120mm fan to my light to reduce temperature transmission to the tank as well as extend the life of the light itself but these modifications are not needed.
20200115_172036.jpg

A fuge is great because algae will grow in any tank, in the display it serves no purpose other than look ugly and tie up nutrients we can't easily get at to export. By creating a refugium, yes algae is still growing in your tank but now it grows on our terms and only in the spot designated to it making it extremely easy to reach in and export a weeks worth of nutrients.

Hope this helped or atleast made sense.

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it's been a journey just getting here and the tank is still such a baby.

So I'll change my dosing to 6ml of each at 3am 15mins apart and 6ml of each at 3pm again 15 mins apart. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.
How old is it?

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this entire thread. Man, these are some major biocube goals here.. It was fun to follow along on the parts of your journey that you documented, there were some good times and there were some bad times. I have been reading a lot of the Biocube threads I can find because I am getting ready to set up and revamp my 29 gallon Biocube again. I definitely have to say this thread has been really informative and certainly one of the nicest Biocubes I have come across so far.

I do have a couple of questions for you about your light if you don't mind. How high is your light sitting off of the water surface? And how is your light situated from front to back? (As in is it centered from front to back? Or is it closer to the back wall? Etc.)

I don't have the exact same light, so I know it won't be a complete apples to apples comparison but I thought it might give me somewhere to start.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RDA thank you! I tried documenting as much as I could, the good and the bad knowing, well hoping, it might be able to help someone down the line. Small stuff like the mighty jet return pump I took a huge gamble on as there are no documented cases of anyone using one and it's fitment (atleast that I could find) so just getting that info out there is great.

Currently I am running my light 9 inches off the surface and centered in all directions. I did angle it ever so slightly over to the right so the center Hotspot is right over the clam. It's a very slight tilt don't know how much it will show up.
20200608_145219.jpg

To be honest ideally I'd mount it an inch or two higher but even with the guards the light spill was too much so 9in is a good compromise. One light isn't ideal and a second light will be added down the road but for now everyone seams happy.

Careful coral placement is a must if your going with only one light. Although this little acro is loving life way off in one corner, must getting less than 100 par
20200608_150239.jpg

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone recommend getting a surface skimmer for the bio cube? Or a skimmer in general?

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biocube has a built in surface skimmer on the first chamber. In my honest opinion, a skimmer isn't really needed if like me you have other methods of export. I have toyed with the idea of adding a skimmer but if I did it would only be to up my feeding for faster growth(which I currently don't want) and probably won't as the tank is running fine as is and adding a skimmer right now would not benefit the tank.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Copingwithpods The documentation of your build was definitely a plus for me. It's nice to be able to see a list of what equipment other people are using on their tank then be able to follow their journey and see what the most current results are. Kind of gives you an idea if they were successful with their tank, build, and equipment or if things didn't work out and ended up being replaced by something else.

Your lighting details are helpful for sure. I can actually see the tilt of the light in the picture as it does show up pretty well. That definitely gives me something to start with on where to place mine. I will probably play around with the light at different heights to see how the spread looks and see if anything stands out as working better than any of the other heights before officially mounting the light. That at least gives me some ideas to use when looking at mounting options though.

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks beautiful
Thank you, when I first got it he was nothing special almost solid purple, it's been coloring up really nice
20200323_162555.jpg

OH and IF I was going to recommend a skimmer for this tank and one I would probably get over all those inefficient nano skimmers it be this one

Capture+_2020-06-09-13-10-37.png

Has great reviews and actual real world use testimonials.

@RDA chop chop man set that thing up I wanna see

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things running man? Haven’t seen any update in a while;)
It’s great thanks for checking in! I picked up a sea sponge fan, some Marshall Island Zoas, some green palys, a midnight Acropora, and some pulsing Xenia!!! Tank is running super well!! Just trying to level out my salinity still. It’s reading at a 1.028...

image.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back