James’s 29g Nano Build

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS owner said it was a polyp... maybe he was wrong? It’s so confusing, because they look the same. ;Facepalm
Looks like zoas to me... pandoras zoas. Here are my Pandora zoas in my tank. Also “polyps” are the heads of the zoas. You’ll hear people selling zoas “per polyp” $5 or whatever. They are talking about per head.

7286F795-5687-40A1-A194-7CE61821D3A9.jpeg

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like zoas to me... pandoras zoas. Here are my Pandora zoas in my tank. Also “polyps” are the heads of the zoas. You’ll hear people selling zoas “per polyp” $5 or whatever. They are talking about per head.

7286F795-5687-40A1-A194-7CE61821D3A9.jpeg
Oh dang, then I did touch it with my bare hands. ;Sorry

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS owner said it was a polyp... maybe he was wrong? It’s so confusing, because they look the same. ;Facepalm

I was very tempted to get a nem. yesterday, because they were on sale - I restrained myself though. ;Nailbiting;Stop

—-

The hermit crab and the shrimp are oddly in-active... is this normal?
‘Polyp’ is just a generic term for nondescript zoanthids/Palythoas. Based on the growth pattern and how tall they are, I think what you got are Palythoas, but I could be wrong. There are hundreds, if not thousands of species in the order (Zoantharia), so unless it’s one of the more common/popular zoanthid or palythoa species, it can be difficult to say exactly what they are.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s molting?
Its very possible. Nearly every time I get a new shrimp, it molts within a day or two. I don’t know if it’s coincidence or if the acclimation causes them to do it, but over the years it’s definitely something I’ve noticed. They generally molt every 3-4 weeks. They can take a few days to feel comfortable exploring, but even once they’re comfortable they’re not that active, they move around and do some scavenging, but for the most part they’re pretty stationary. Hermit crabs usually get going pretty quickly after acclimation, but not always. Have you tried feeding them?

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
‘Polyp’ is just a generic term for nondescript zoanthids/Palythoas. Based on the growth pattern and how tall they are, I think what you got are Palythoas, but I could be wrong. There are hundreds, if not thousands of species in the order (Zoantharia), so unless it’s one of the more common/popular zoanthid or palythoa species, it can be difficult to say exactly what they are.
Ahh, ok, thank you!

Its very possible. Nearly every time I get a new shrimp, it molts within a day or two. I don’t know if it’s coincidence or if the acclimation causes them to do it, but over the years it’s definitely something I’ve noticed. They generally molt every 3-4 weeks. They can take a few days to feel comfortable exploring, but even once they’re comfortable they’re not that active, they move around and do some scavenging, but for the most part they’re pretty stationary. Hermit crabs usually get going pretty quickly after acclimation, but not always. Have you tried feeding them?
Interesting... no I haven’t tried feed them yet. Not sure how to feed the shrimp.

I guess I could just plop a pellet next to him, as well as the hermit?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, ok, thank you!

Interesting... no I haven’t tried feed them yet. Not sure how to feed the shrimp.

I guess I could just plop a pellet next to him, as well as the hermit?
Yes, he should see it/smell it. Though, don’t panic if it takes a couple days for it to eat.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! What corals are you hoping to primarily have? Zoas and palys are cool and fun, that frag looks good. Are you planning to mostly keep softies?
No clue to be honest... ;Nailbiting

I am just looking out for the $10 frags at the moment.

—-

I really want an anemone, even if the clowns don’t host in it.

Are these best to get after the algae dies down?

My LFS is having a huge sale, that’s why I’m considering it...

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

—-

The $5, $10, $15, and $20 frags sometimes have the most fun. I’d recommend softies to begin but I may be a bit biased. I love all the leather corals out there, and mushroom corals are also super cool and easy.

What are you looking for your corals to do, be eyecatchers, conversation pieces, be bright and flashy, etc.?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

—-

If you don’t want to wait for your tank to mature for a nem, you could get some big green hairy mushrooms (or
something similar). I just got some the other day ($5 a piece from a local reefer!). They are gorgeous, neon green, and massive (each one is like 5-6” across), and already my clowns have abandoned the return that they were hosting (yeah, I know clowns aren’t the ones doing the hosting, lol), and taken up residence in the shrooms.
The $5, $10, $15, and $20 frags sometimes have the most fun. I’d recommend softies to begin but I may be a bit biased. I love all the leather corals out there, and mushroom corals are also super cool and easy.

What are you looking for your corals to do, be eyecatchers, conversation pieces, be bright and flashy, etc.?
Just yesterday I got these gorgeous neon green hairy mushrooms for $5 a piece. They’re massive, like 5’ across. There are amazing deals out there if you look, check out your local reef club.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love any coral that waves in the current. Also bright colors are welcome! Just things that make me smile. :)

If you don’t want to wait for your tank to mature for a nem, you could get some big green hairy mushrooms (or
something similar). I just got some the other day ($5 a piece from a local reefer!). They are gorgeous, neon green, and massive (each one is like 5-6” across), and already my clowns have abandoned the return that they were hosting (yeah, I know clowns aren’t the ones doing the hosting, lol), and taken up residence in the shrooms.

Just yesterday I got these gorgeous neon green hairy mushrooms for $5 a piece. They’re massive, like 5’ across. There are amazing deals out there if you look, check out your local reef club.
I think I will eventually get a nem, but I’m going to wait until my algae dies down.

I will check out the hair mushroom!

—-

Once I finish my stock list, I will be able to get lots of frags. :)

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP, Kenya Tree, Mushrooms, Zoas, and Leathers. This is how I started my tank. Made my feel real successful real fast! Lol

Ending up getting 4 types of GSP, 2 types of Kenya, 7 types mushrooms, 5 different leathers 20 types of zoas. To make my tank look somewhat full lol. All for CHEAP anywhere from $5-30 a coral. All my zoas I got for $5-$10 a frag, not per head. I also didn’t buy it all at one time.

point is you can fill your tank up cheap if you want.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully my LFS will have a more colorful selection of $10 frags next time I go.

I might get a leather frag, because they had some amazing ones there last time!

Again, I was in a huge rush, so I really didn’t have time to appreciate all the frags,

—-

They have a $10, $25, $50, $120, $160, $200, $250, $300+ section - usually they are all separated on the shelves.

—-

I’m just super excited to have my first ever coral. :)

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, all the GSP, Kenya trees and toadstool leathers were free just for buying coral from other reefers. I buy all my coral local. I have never bought form my LFS. Nothing wrong with it I just look for deals.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks for what’s called “free clippings” in your area of GSP, Kenya’s and Xina if you want some. I wouldn’t pay for that stuff...

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks for what’s called “free clippings” in your area of GSP, Kenya’s and Xina if you want some. I wouldn’t pay for that stuff...
I’m honestly not sure if i have an aquarium club near me. ;Sorry

I’ll look into it though, they sound like fun events. :)

Also, all the GSP, Kenya trees and toadstool leathers were free just for buying coral from other reefers. I buy all my coral local. I have never bought form my LFS. Nothing wrong with it I just look for deals.
My LFS has constant sales on coral, I’ve just never payed this much attention to them until now.

I’ll definitely keep my eye out for cheap frags! (I’ll also try to get a picture of their frag tanks, next time I go. :))

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp has adopted this cave ;Hilarious
6FF3B117-505D-4D34-835D-34066CFCFEF7.jpeg

Zoa looks like it’s developing more color! (I’m just glad I haven’t killed it a this point, lol) *
E25E00F7-F075-4F39-8DE0-B2E3162D5F62.jpeg

Hermit crab is still super inactive. :/
E6A3F989-7739-4348-A1AF-B469F9C9D2E2.jpeg

——
AEBA1D97-CDDB-4D9C-8199-32D3B7681640.jpeg

—-

* Should I put a rock under the frag? It looks like some of the smaller “stems” are being crushed into the sand.

Back