James’s 29g Nano Build

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

This is going to be my official tank journal, for my 29g. This tank used to be a freshwater tank, but I decided to take it down and start a saltwater tank.

I already have it all cleaned out and ready
5A78F153-FAF0-41FC-949E-4A88B253346A.jpeg

(The light is coming in today sometime. That light was the old one I used)

Here are the things I have so far:
DEBD6749-C1F8-42E2-AE1C-CE09DC78943F.jpeg

(I also have a HOB filter (Seachem Tidal 35), heater, and food. (New Life Spectrum)

Light is supposed to come in today. I will also pickup Instant Ocean salt.

Super excited!! :)

Last edited:

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!
Super excited to!

I hope I got enough sand - 20lb? I heard you really don’t need that much sand, if you aren’t going to be having any sort of sand digging fish. (Like gobies)
True!

You can have bare bottom tank, many do it. The rock is where it is at.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

True!

You can have bare bottom tank, many do it. The rock is where it is at.
Ok, whew!

Once I get the salt, I should be able to get it setup tomorrow afternoon or the day after that.

Even though the bottled bacteria/live sand/live rock should cycle the tank instantly, I’m still going to be waiting a week or so before getting livestock.

—-

I would like to get a shrimp and maybe some snails?

—-

My end goal is to have a pair of clownfish in there.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, whew!

Once I get the salt, I should be able to get it setup tomorrow afternoon or the day after that.

Even though the bottled bacteria/live sand/live rock should cycle the tank instantly, I’m still going to be waiting a week or so before getting livestock.

—-

I would like to get a shrimp and maybe some snails?

—-

My end goal is to have a pair of clownfish in there.
1- Are you starting with live rock? Like actually wet live that the LFS cycle for you for a month or more?

2- are you mixing your own salt? If you are, even during water changes you want the salt to dissolve in the water for a few days, it’s better for the fish. If you are mixing are you using RO water. What salinity are you going with? I go with 1.026.

3- do you have a testing kit, for ammonia and nitrate? You need this to see when it is finally cycled. 0 ammonia high nitrate. You also need to add ammonia to the tank to feed the bacteria

4- do not add Cuc before the fish. They need something to eat, adding the fish first, g in ve the fish poop and food that’s that fish doesn’t eat. Snails will starve if you don’t wait for a little bit of algae.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- Are you starting with live rock? Like actually wet live that the LFS cycle for you for a month or more?

2- are you mixing your own salt? If you are, even during water changes you want the salt to dissolve in the water for a few days, it’s better for the fish. If you are mixing are you using RO water. What salinity are you going with? I go with 1.026.

3- do you have a testing kit, for ammonia and nitrate? You need this to see when it is finally cycled. 0 ammonia high nitrate. You also need to add ammonia to the tank to feed the bacteria

4- do not add Cuc before the fish. They need something to eat, adding the fish first, g in ve the fish poop and food that’s that fish doesn’t eat. Snails will starve if you don’t wait for a little bit of algae.
1) Yes, my LFS has a big raised pond type setup in back, full of live rock. The pond is also heated and well filtered.

2) Yes, I am going to mix my own salt, using Instant Ocean. I’m not using RO. I plan to go for 1.026-1.028 salinity.

3) I have the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. My research says that the liquid in the FW and the SW test are exactly the same, but the color cards won’t match.

I printed off a SW color card for the API Saltwater Master Test Kit, so it should work.

I do understand the cycling process.

4) Sorry for you incompetence, but what is ‘Cuc’?

So you recommended adding fish before invertebrates?

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask about the live rock, because that’s how you instant cycle.

if you have dead dry rock. It might take a few weeks if not longer, you just have to keep testing.
No, it’s definitely live, I just don’t know how much it cost. (I hope not to much!? ;Dead)

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Yes, my LFS has a big raised pond type setup in back, full of live rock. The pond is also heated and well filtered.

2) Yes, I am going to mix my own salt, using Instant Ocean. I’m not using RO. I plan to go for 1.026-1.028 salinity.

3) I have the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. My research says that the liquid in the FW and the SW test are exactly the same, but the color cards won’t match.

I printed off a SW color card for the API Saltwater Master Test Kit, so it should work.

I do understand the cycling process.

4) Sorry for you incompetence, but what is ‘Cuc’?

So you recommended adding fish before invertebrates?
CUC = Clean up crew. Crabs, snails etc.

Yes I recommend adding the fish first. I would still test, even if it is live rock, before adding fish. To make sure you didn’t get a lot of bacteria die off during the move from the fish store to your house.

If the rocks are already full of algae, you can add the snails whenever.

If you are not using RO the water it might through off your parameters. But I am sure you know this.

Are the live rocks connected to their system? Is there fish in it? If so, just know it might come with ick and other pest. If your on with ick management, go for it. Don’t handle the live rock with bare hands there might be bristle worms in it. Also, and I am sure you know this, being buckets of saltwater to toss the rock in, or buy saltwater to have less die off.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC = Clean up crew. Crabs, snails etc.

Yes I recommend adding the fish first. I would still test, even if it is live rock, before adding fish. To make sure you didn’t get a lot of bacteria die off during the move from the fish store to your house.

If the rocks are already full of algae, you can add the snails whenever.

If you are not using RO the water it might through off your parameters. But I am sure you know this.

Are the live rocks connected to their system? Is there fish in it? If so, just know it might come with ick and other pest. If your on with ick management, go for it. Don’t handle the live rock with bare hands there might be bristle worms in it. Also, and I am sure you know this, being buckets of saltwater to toss the rock in, or buy saltwater to have less die off.
Ah, ok.

I will eventually purchase an RO system, but only if I decide to get live corals.

I’m not sure honestly... when I call them to ask the price, I’ll also ask if there are fish in there.

Yes! That’s why I am getting an additional 5g bucket for that very reason. :)

Edit: Actually yes, I do remember there being fish in there last time I was in my LFS.

I have seen bristle worms before, they are creepy! Is there anyway to know for sure if the are in the rocks? I know you aren’t supposed to wash them, or the sand for that matter.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok.

I will eventually purchase an RO system, but only if I decide to get live corals.

I’m not sure honestly... when I call them to ask the price, I’ll also ask if there are fish in there.

Yes! That’s why I am getting an additional 5g bucket for that very reason. :)

Edit: Actually yes, I do remember there being fish in there last time I was in my LFS.

I have seen bristle worms before, they are creepy! Is there anyway to know for sure if the are in the rocks? I know you aren’t supposed to wash them, or the sand for that matter.
Bristle worms are good. They help and a good part of a CUC. You can get other pest, but people get live rock for the cycle, knowing the tank might get pest. I went with dry rock.

There is no way of knowing what pest is on the rock. Only way to insure no ick is on the rock, is to leave it fishless for 72 days, which defeats the purpose of buying live rock.

Are you planning to QT any fish you get and treat with copper? If not, then I wouldn’t be too worried about ick on the rock. You’ll be doing ick management, which is fine. A lot of us do it, myself included.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear.

When you first mix your salt, you can just add it to the tank, since it’s going to be void of any livestock, the salt will dissolve. But when doing water changes, don’t add freshly mixed saltwater, mix for 24-48 hours. Undissolved salt is hard on the fish, and take about that much time to fully dissolve.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the RO/DI unit now. It'll save you a ton of issues later on regardless of whether or not you decide to keep corals.
On Amazon, it cost $60. I believe this would work?

Issue is I would have to wait for my next paycheck and that means no livestock or anything else for that matter.

Could I go ahead and start up the tank, with the live rock/live sand and the bottled bacteria? At least I could start the cycle and replace the regular water with RO water later.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back