James’s 29g Nano Build

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Amazon, it cost $60. I believe this would work?

Issue is I would have to wait for my next paycheck and that means no livestock or anything else for that matter.

Could I go ahead and start up the tank, with the live rock/live sand and the bottled bacteria? At least I could start the cycle and replace the regular water with RO water later.

Yes that will work just fine. Yes you can start the cycle. Just ghost feed your tank every other day. Ghost feeding means to toss food in the tank, about the amount you would to feed your two clowns you want to get.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to QT any fish you get and treat with copper? If not, then I wouldn’t be too worried about ick on the rock. You’ll be doing ick management, which is fine. A lot of us do it, myself included.
Um, no I wasn’t planning on it. I figured since they were going to be the only fish in there, if they got ich, then I could treat the whole tank.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that will work just fine. Yes you can start the cycle. Just ghost feed your tank every other day. Ghost feeding means to toss food in the tank, about the amount you would to feed your two clowns you want to get.
But still add the bottled bacteria? (In understand cycling in freshwater, but apparently it’s different in saltwater ;Bored)

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, no I wasn’t planning on it. I figured since they were going to be the only fish in there, if they got ich, then I could treat the whole tank.
Don’t treat the whole tank with copper, if you do coral could never live in there and all Cuc will die.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is there anything else I should pick up while I’m at PetCo?

I’m going to get the salt and a bigger net.

Don’t treat the whole tank with copper, if you do coral could never live in there and all Cuc will die.
I wasn’t planning on treating the tank with anything just yet.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need the bottle of bacteria, if your buying live rock.
I thought live rock would just help a little bit, but I still needed the bottled bacteria.

According to my friend, he was able to cycle his nano SW tank in 3 days, using the Instant Ocean bacteria.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is there anything else I should pick up while I’m at PetCo?

I’m going to get the salt and a bigger net.

I wasn’t planning on treating the tank with anything just yet.
I you get an ick outbreak, there is stuff to help the fish recover, without hurting the tank. But if you QT the fish in a QT tank, prior to it going into the display tank (DT). You’ll never have ick in the tank. Of course this goes out the window when you add live rock from the fish stores.

I would have a hospital tank on hand. Just an empty tank with a $5 bubbler and a heater. Also I would get:

Salinity Refractometer for Seawater and Marine Fishkeeping Aquarium 0-100 PPT with Automatic Temperature Compensation

Salifert Master Reef Testing Combo Kit - Saltwater Aquariums

Salifert AMPT Ammonia Test Kit

The nitrate and ammonia one is the most important. I don’t know anything about using freshwater test kits with saltwater.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought live rock would just help a little bit, but I still needed the bottled bacteria.

According to my friend, he was able to cycle his nano SW tank in 3 days, using the Instant Ocean bacteria.
True live rock is full of bacteria, adding more doesn’t hurt but is unnecessary.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity Refractometer for Seawater and Marine Fishkeeping Aquarium 0-100 PPT with Automatic
I already have the Hydrometer. I heard it’s as accurate, but I’m trying to go on a budget. :/

As a 15 year old, I don’t really get that much income.

—-

Anything else I should get while I’m at the pet store? I’ll look for the stuff you mentioned above.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just make sue you get enough live rock to support the tank. Your substrate will also hold bacteria.

Rule of thumb is 1lb of live rock per gallon. To me this is an unnecessary amount. Get what “looks good” leaving about 1/3 of the tank for swimming room. Like I said your sand will help as well.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the Hydrometer. I heard it’s as accurate, but I’m trying to go on a budget. :/

As a 15 year old, I don’t really get that much income.

—-

Anything else I should get while I’m at the pet store? I’ll look for the stuff you mentioned above.
Petco will do a $1 a gallon sale. For a hospital tank will be $5. I would go with dry rock and a bottle of bacteria. It cheaper than live rock.

If you really want to go cheap. Buy mainly dry rock, a small live rock, no bacteria and test kit for ammonia and nitrate. Toss a raw shrimp in it until you see ammonia rise, then pull it out. I suggest putting the shrimp in a small net for easy removal. Keep testing until ammonia drops to 0 and nitrates are high. Then ghost feed the tank until you see no more ammonia showing up and nitrates are continuing to rise.

This by far is the cheapest way to cycle the tank.

Last edited:

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should go ahead and mention this now. I was in your same exact shoes, starting tanks when I was your age. I am now a couple years older, and even in that little time I have seen there is no way to have a budget reef tank and have it operate successfully for long periods of time. You can get by, as I did, but without the proper quality equipment I didn't make it very far. So now instead of buying things to save me money, I am taking the time to plan out all my equipment for my new tank I am working on, with quality parts and accessories. This way I can know the price, even if it is hard to come to terms with how much I'm spending. I think it will be worth it for you to save up to get the right pieces of equipment to have a nice tank that last a long time, rather then one that will temporarily appeal to you. Best of luck.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just make sue you get enough live rock to support the tank. Your substrate will also hold bacteria.

Rule of thumb is 1lb of live rock per gallon. To me this is an unnecessary amount. Get what “looks good” leaving about 1/3 of the tank for swimming room. Like I said your sand will help as well.
I got the CaribSea Live sand, so hopefully that will help with the cycling process.

I’m going to go ahead and get the live rock, although I’m almost out of money for right now. :/

—-

I think I should go ahead and mention this now. I was in your same exact shoes, starting tanks when I was your age. I am now a couple years older, and even in that little time I have seen there is no way to have a budget reef tank and have it operate successfully for long periods of time. You can get by, as I did, but without the proper quality equipment I didn't make it very far. So now instead of buying things to save me money, I am taking the time to plan out all my equipment for my new tank I am working on, with quality parts and accessories. This way I can know the price, even if it is hard to come to terms with how much I'm spending. I think it will be worth it for you to save up to get the right pieces of equipment to have a nice tank that last a long time, rather then one that will temporarily appeal to you. Best of luck.
That makes sense. After I get the tank setup, I will start saving my money again, to get the best stuff. I will get the RO system and the refractor.

—-

I just got a 50lb bucket of sand from PetCo and it was $60.00. You heard me right, $60. Blew my mind. All the prices online showed it to be $40. I am mad right now, to say the least. :mad:

At least now I should be able to get my tank setup. I have $30 leftover right now, so hopefully that will be enough to get live rock from my LFS.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the CaribSea Live sand, so hopefully that will help with the cycling process.

I’m going to go ahead and get the live rock, although I’m almost out of money for right now. :/

—-

That makes sense. After I get the tank setup, I will start saving my money again, to get the best stuff. I will get the RO system and the refractor.

—-

I just got a 50lb bucket of sand from PetCo and it was $60.00. You heard me right, $60. Blew my mind. All the prices online showed it to be $40. I am mad right now, to say the least. :mad:

At least now I should be able to get my tank setup. I have $30 leftover right now, so hopefully that will be enough to get live rock from my LFS.
50lb of and + the live sand you have... that’s a lot of sand.... I would have gone with 30lb of sand for the whole tank.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOPS! I meant salt, not sand. ;Wideyed

After looking around, that’s actually a good deal for that, so I’ll keep it.

Should I wait for the live rock before setting up the tank?

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOPS! I meant salt, not sand. ;Wideyed

After looking around, that’s actually a good deal for that, so I’ll keep it.

Should I wait for the live rock before setting up the tank?
No have water in that tank before you buy the liverock, so it has somewhere to live when you bring it home.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I mean should I wait to add water and get it all setup, before I get live rock. Like keep the tank dry.
I wouldn’t***** (edit) because your going to have to keep topping off the tank for evaporation. No point until your about to get the rock. Just makes sure it’s set up prior to buying the rock.

Last edited:
Back