OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not like I’m going to use tap and then just throw stock in there. I’m going to start to cycle the tank, and then get the RO system (funds permitting), and then add the livestock, so they aren’t introduced to those “harmful” substances. ;Panda

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using live rock to start the tank you might as well wait for the RO/DI unit. It's not like you need to start cycling the tank ASAP or anything.
I’m not using live rock to start the cycle on this tank, it will just help.

I have bottled bacteria and live sand for that very reason.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not using live rock to start the cycle on this tank, it will just help.

I have bottled bacteria and live sand for that very reason.
Ok now I am confused.... I thought you were starting this tank with 100% live rock?

I suggest you really heed @MaxTremors and @BelieveInBlue advice. They took the time you spell it out for you, and your getting a RO/DI anyways....

Edit: Just wanted to add, some have successfully ran tap water reef tanks. But the issue I see, is your planning on buying an RO/DI system anyways and starting with live rock.

So this:
If you're using live rock to start the tank you might as well wait for the RO/DI unit. It's not like you need to start cycling the tank ASAP or anything.

Makes a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good thread to read.

Doesn’t help the argument one way or another. But what I posted above still stands.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I am confused.... I thought you were starting this tank with 100% live rock?

I suggest you really heed @MaxTremors and @BelieveInBlue advice. They took the time you spell it out for you, and your getting a RO/DI anyways....

Edit: Just wanted to add, some have successfully ran tap water reef tanks. But the issue I see, is your planning on buying an RO/DI system anyways and starting with live rock.

So this:

No, I’m not starting it was life rock...

Once I get the funds for the RO filter, I will drain it and fill it back up with the RO/SW mix.

I don’t really get what the big deal is with setting up a tank that has no livestock with tap water. Am I going to kill my fake anemone? ;Sour

——

Tank is setup!
47424A54-BF64-443D-9214-38F9F01F4246.jpeg
1403B522-5968-4409-A447-000699DDCD38.jpeg

Salinity is sitting at 1.026, so I’ll add some freshwater to try to get it down to that 1.020-1.024 range.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I’m not starting it was life rock...

Once I get the funds for the RO filter, I will drain it and fill it back up with the RO/SW mix.

I don’t really get what the big deal is with setting up a tank that has no livestock with tap water. Am I going to kill my fake anemone? ;Sour

——

Tank is setup!
47424A54-BF64-443D-9214-38F9F01F4246.jpeg
1403B522-5968-4409-A447-000699DDCD38.jpeg

Salinity is sitting at 1.026, so I’ll add some freshwater to try to get it down to that 1.020-1.024 range.
That’s changes things... if you are now starting with dry rock (new information). I don’t see the harm in started the cycle with tap.

feel free to correct me.. (@ anyone).

Just do a 90% water change with RO/DI water. When it’s time to add live stock.

Did you read the thread I sent you? The water quality of your tap can be night and day from someone else.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s changes things... if you are now starting with dry rock (new information). I don’t see the harm in started the cycle with tap.

feel free to correct me.. (@ anyone).

Just do a 90% water change with RO/DI water. When it’s time to add live stock.

Did you read the thread I sent you? The water quality of your tap can be night and day from someone else.
I skimmed it, threads here on R2R are so long! ;Hilarious

—-

Ok, so here is what’s going on, just to make sure you guys follow:

I’m going to keep the tank running with tap water and only sand and the fake anemone that’s in there, and then once I get the RO water, I’ll do the 90% water change as you recommend and then I’ll get live rock and then I’ll get livestock.

Sound good?

——

:rolleyes:
Also, 1.026 is ideal.
Ah ok, then I nailed it!! ;Smuggrin

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least this thread keeps you on your toes lol

Sorry I am so lost... I don’t want to give you advice because I no longer know what going on lol...
Ok, let me try to explain one more time.

—-

As of right now, I’m not getting any live rock.

The only time I will get live rock, is once I get the RO system.

After, I get the RO system (the live rock will already be added by then), then I will get live stock.

So in order, it will go like this:
  1. Get RO system
  2. Get live rock
  3. Get livestock

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So this:

Then I’ll go back to this ^^^^

But your kinda doing whatever you want. I am sure more would agree.

What’s the point in cycling a tank with just sand, that’s going to be instantly cycled after getting the live rock?

What your doing isn’t going to hurt anything, it just doesn’t make sense. But if it makes you happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not doing “whatever I want”, I have been doing lots of research as well.

When I look for knowledge, I don’t just take it from one place, I look at many different locations. R2R looked like a good marine forum for me to ask questions, to help me with my research, not as a concrete guide.

I appreciate your help, and I don’t mean to sound rude.

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not doing “whatever I want”, I have been doing lots of research as well.

When I look for knowledge, I don’t just take it from one place, I look at many different locations. R2R looked like a good marine forum for me to ask questions, to help me with my research, not as a concrete guide.

I appreciate your help, and I don’t mean to sound rude.
Well the awkward part about this is that you don't seem to listen to what people tell you. The tap water will hurt you in the long run, you will regret it, and you will end up just like us, recommending to newcomers that they don't use tap water. The sand has now been contaminated with anything that was in your tap water, and with a 90 percent water change you won't be able to get all the tap water out, especially not the water in the sandbed, which is where I guarantee all of the elements you don't want will have settled and be trapped. You should have waited for the RODI system, and then filled it up using that. I would recommend one last time to not use tap water whatsoever, and restart.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, have you tested your tap? Before adding it to the the tank?

To give you a quote from the thread I sent you.

My tap water has a TDS of 22 - 24, and is non chlorinated. Yet it has 2ppm of copper and radon and uranium can get high without notice. My very low TDS water will kill my corals very quickly. The city is also dealing with some nasty stuff in the water now and uses chlorine about once a week, without any notice.

If not... your definitely rolling the dice. Yes, it can be fine. Yes it can be bad lol.

IMO it most likely didn’t hurt anything. A few reefers near me run their successful tanks off tap.

But if you live near @Ippyroy ... adding copper to your tank... well to say it simply, that would be very bad lol.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend one last time to not use tap water whatsoever, and restart.
I’m going to completely drain the tank of all tap water, once I get the RO system. I am also not going to get any livestock, until I get the RO system, and the tank is cycled.

——

What exactly did I kill here? I just don’t get it.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t get it.
It’s been spelled out for you in great detail. I think maybe what you’re not understanding is that in reef keeping, choices you make today can have far reaching, long term consequences. Seemingly minor mistakes or things that you think won’t matter can snowball and start a chain reaction that can end in disaster. Using tap water may or may not have long term consequences, but the likelihood that it will is high enough that choosing to do so, knowing what the consequences could be, is irresponsible and careless.

And the most baffling part, is that the only real reason you filled your tank with tap water is because you were too impatient to wait. You keep talking about how limited you are by budget, but then just waste 29 gallons worth of salt so you can look at an empty tank with a plastic anemone in it. Any head start you may get on your cycle (which is negligible) is not worth the potential risk of using tap water. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back