OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been spelled out for you in great detail. I think maybe what you’re not understanding is that in reef keeping, choices you make today can have far reaching, long term consequences. Seemingly minor mistakes or things that you think won’t matter can snowball and start a chain reaction that can end in disaster. Using tap water may or may not have long term consequences, but the likelihood that it will is high enough that choosing to do so, knowing what the consequences could be, is irresponsible and careless.

And the most baffling part, is that the only real reason you filled your tank with tap water is because you were too impatient to wait. You keep talking about how limited you are by budget, but then just waste 29 gallons worth of salt so you can look at an empty tank with a plastic anemone in it. Any head start you may get on your cycle (which is negligible) is not worth the potential risk of using tap water. It just doesn’t make any sense.
I don’t see why you people get so offended when other people don’t take your advice. You aren’t always right you know.

I know you probably know more than me about SW, but that doesn’t mean you can get all offended when I don’t take your suggestions.

——

Reading the thread that was posted above, many many people said they had saltwater tanks in the past, that they used tap water in.

RO water seems to be the excepted standard in the hobby, but I don’t see any concrete rules on why I shouldn’t be using tap water, in a tank, with no livestock.

—-

Would I ever setup a tank with livestock, using my tap water? Of course not! SW fish are a lot more susceptible to containment’s in the water, than freshwater fish are. But the tank has no livestock. Heck, it doesn’t even have anything alive in it.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an ro unit with a di add on filter.
Reverse osmosis water is usually a little higher in tds. Like 5 or 6. Its general drinking water from the dispenser at the grocery store. Usually ran through a to membrane and pre filter or carbon block and u.v.
Di is a resin material that soaks any remaining tds from the water. Stripping it making pure as can be. 0-2tds imo. Ppl throw 2 away though. Lol.

Your good. You got yourself a good.little rodi unit.
Get a hose adapter. Lol.
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours came with a faucet adapter it looks like. Any sink itll prob just screw on too. Idk i screw mine to my garden tap outside my house so i dont worry about water everywhere. Lol
D

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours came with a faucet adapter it looks like. Any sink itll prob just screw on too. Idk i screw mine to my garden tap outside my house so i dont worry about water everywhere. Lol
D
Oh, ok. I am upstairs, so I definitely won’t want to be lugging 5g bucket up and don’t the stairs.

I’ll figure something out once I order it. ;Hilarious

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see why you people get so offended when other people don’t take your advice. You aren’t always right you know.

I know you probably know more than me about SW, but that doesn’t mean you can get all offended when I don’t take your suggestions.

——

Reading the thread that was posted above, many many people said they had saltwater tanks in the past, that they used tap water in.

RO water seems to be the excepted standard in the hobby, but I don’t see any concrete rules on why I shouldn’t be using tap water, in a tank, with no livestock.

—-

Would I ever setup a tank with livestock, using my tap water? Of course not! SW fish are a lot more susceptible to containment’s in the water, than freshwater fish are. But the tank has no livestock. Heck, it doesn’t even have anything alive in it.
No one is offended. It’s just frustrating when someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing (and you don’t, you have zero experience) asks for advice and gets sound, solid advice, and then completely disregards said advice. People took the time to give you their hard earned advice, to explain things in great detail, and then you kind of flippantly just disregarded it.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you people
ROFL dang saltwater people! Sorry couldn’t help myself.

that doesn’t mean you can get all offended when I don’t take your suggestions.
I don’t think anyone is offended, I would be surprised if they were. IMO, they are doing the same thing I am. Wondering why your doing the things your doing, after getting the information given.

Most usually listen to the advice (listening is not the same as doing). Then come to their own conclusion on what’s best. But you haven’t stated why your doing, what you doing, and the reason your doing it.

(Example: if someone told you to QT all your fish and treat with copper before adding it to the display tank, and you said “no I will not be quarantining my fish but thanks for the advice. I read it’s stressful on the fish to QT and I don’t feel like losing fish to QT, I know the risk”) that’s something easier for the advice giver to comprehend.

I would say the biggest confusion stems from the fact that you are buying a RODI system, and are not planning on using tap, yet you still put your tank at “potential“ risk for no gain.

Some reefers are still running their tanks off tap today and are extremely successful. It’s all dependent on your water quality, and consistency of your water company to keep it that way (no changes).
Would I ever setup a tank with livestock, using my tap water? Of course not!
If you had good water quality, technically you could... and it wouldn’t be wrong.

But I am guessing you haven’t tested. Also FYI there is a lot more unknown contaminants that a TDS meter will not show. I suggested testing it further than just a TDS meter if your going this route. Which I don’t think you are.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the real reason why I went ahead and set it up, is because I was impatient, and thought it wouldn’t hurt anything. Is that so bad? ;Sorry

Once (and yes I a, going to get the RO/DI system) I get the RO/DI system, I will do a 100% water change and then let the tank cycle, with bottled bacteria and live rock.

It may be a while before I’m able to add stock...

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I don’t see any concrete rules on why I shouldn’t be using tap water, in a tank, with no livestock.
This is one.... copper from pipes, that’s what scared me away from tap...
OK, the real reason why I went ahead and set it up, is because I was impatient, and thought it wouldn’t hurt anything. Is that so bad? ;Sorry
It’s not necessarily “bad”, what’s done is done... but it’s the unknown. Me personally, I would not toss out all my sand. I would just do the water change with RODI. Like I been saying in my last 10 post lol.. all dependent on your water quality.

Others would start completely over with new sand. If your really worried about it, you can always wash your sand, me I wouldn’t do this if it was my tank. But it would still bug me that tap touched my tank.

Little more advice, impatient people in this hobby need deep pockets. $$$$ for big coral, big fish etc. or $$$$ for mistakes that could have been avoided.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you might want to start another build thread once you get your tank going.

When you get questions, ask outside your build thread, start a new thread. This will help your build thread look cleaner and attract more people. So your not always getting advice from the same people.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one.... copper from pipes, that’s what scared me away from tap...

It’s not necessarily “bad”, what’s done is done... but it’s the unknown. Me personally, I would not toss out all my sand. I would just do the water change with RODI. Like I been saying in my last 10 post lol.. all dependent on your water quality.

Others would start completely over with new sand. If your really worried about it, you can always wash your sand, me I wouldn’t do this if it was my tank. But it would still bug me that tap touched my tank.

Little more advice, impatient people in this hobby need deep pockets. $$$$ for big coral, big fish etc. or $$$$ for mistakes that could have been avoided.
I see.

I don’t want to throw out the sand - cost me $20. Maybe let the tank run with no livestock and RO water for at least 3 weeks? That should get all the contaminants out, assuming I do frequent water changes.

——

I will order the RO/DI system tonight! Should get here sometime this week.

Also you might want to start another build thread once you get your tank going.

When you get questions, ask outside your build thread, start a new thread. This will help your build thread look cleaner and attract more people. So your not always getting advice from the same people.
Ok, I’ll make a new one once I get the RO system. :)

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to throw out the sand - cost me $20. Maybe let the tank run with no livestock and RO water for at least 3 weeks? That should get all the contaminants out, assuming I do frequent water changes.
I would just change out the water and call it. No point in waiting three weeks. Add your rock, cycle your tank, start adding your fish...

Edit: I mean, most wash their sand with tap water... just being real.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just change out the water and call it. No point in waiting three weeks. Add your rock, cycle your tank, start adding your fish...

Edit: I mean, most wash their sand with tap water... just being real.
The instructions on the bad told me not to wash the sand, because it is “live sand”. Is that mute point now?

Oh, ok!

I think I mentioned this above, but I’ll be adding the Goby first, then inverts. And the clowns.

—-

Does anyone know where I can get cheap, reef base material?

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructions on the bad told me not to wash the sand, because it is “live sand”. Is that mute point now?
Because you bought “live sand”. Yes your not supposed to wash it. People wash their sand to get all the dust out of it, makes tanks less cloudy.

Does anyone know where I can get cheap, reef base material?
I might not know what your talking about, but I’ll take a stab at what I think your talking about.

When you add your rock, make sure it’s sitting on the bottom of the tank. So literally on the glass. This is so nothing can dig under it and it won’t topple over, killing livestock or breaking glass.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might not know what your talking about, but I’ll take a stab at what I think your talking about.

When you add your rock, make sure it’s sitting on the bottom of the tank. So literally on the glass. This is so nothing can dig under it and it won’t topple over, killing livestock or breaking glass.
Well, you make the base of the reef out of dry rock, and then add live rock on top of that.

So I’m looking for porous limestone.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you make the base of the reef out of dry rock, and then add live rock on top of that.

So I’m looking for porous limestone.
I just stacked my rock, used epoxy and glue to hold it together. Broke away pieces to make it sit the way I wanted it.

Back