James’s 29g Nano Build

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to go cheap. Buy mainly dry rock, a small live rock, no bacteria and test kit for ammonia and nitrate. Toss a raw shrimp in it until you see ammonia rise, then pull it out. I suggest putting the shrimp in a small net for easy removal. Keep testing until ammonia drops to 0 and nitrates are high. Then ghost feed the tank until you see no more ammonia showing up and nitrates are continuing to rise.

This by far is the cheapest way to cycle the tank.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the plan changed again. Before you had no mention of dry rock. Now your saying your getting mainly dry rock?

Question: how much dry rock vs live rock are you getting? How much rock in general are you getting?

Also
I think I mentioned this above, but I’ll be adding the Goby first, then inverts. And the clowns.
I would get the clowns first, they are more hardy. Also would give you something to look at swimming around the tank.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the plan changed again. Before you had no mention of dry rock. Now your saying your getting mainly dry rock?

Question: how much dry rock vs live rock are you getting? How much rock in general are you getting?

Also

I would get the clowns first, they are more hardy. Also would give you something to look at swimming around the tank.
Er, yes, sorry, this is so confusing. o_O

Um, I’m not really sure. Honestly, I don’t even know if my LFS has dry rock.

My plan is to get more dry rock than live rock. Sort of build a base out of dry rock, then add live rock on top.

——

Clownfish first? I won’t argue with that. :)

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to get more dry rock than live rock. Sort of build a base out of dry rock, then add live rock on top.
Then it won’t be a instant cycle, and it’s going to take a few weeks to be fully cycled after adding the rock. It doesn’t matter if the live rock is on the bottom or top of the dry rock. But your going to have to wait til the dry rock becomes live rock.

if your dosing bacteria anyways.. why not just buy all dry rock, it’s cheaper. Look on offer up. You can get it for like $1 - 1lb, you might have to clean it in bleach if you get it from someone. But you only need like 20-30lbs

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just order the RO/DI system! Should get here Wednesday.
I have that same RO/DI system it works great ! I get 5 gallons in a few hours but 0 TDS and it’s perfect for my 20 gallon AIO I do biweekly 10% water changes since it’s a softie/LPS tank also have 2 clowns

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it won’t be a instant cycle, and it’s going to take a few weeks to be fully cycled after adding the rock. It doesn’t matter if the live rock is on the bottom or top of the dry rock. But your going to have to wait til the dry rock becomes live rock.

if your dosing bacteria anyways.. why not just buy all dry rock, it’s cheaper. Look on offer up. You can get it for like $1 - 1lb, you might have to clean it in bleach if you get it from someone. But you only need like 20-30lbs
I agree with this ^ I bought 45$ of dry rock for saltwater aquarium.com the real cheap stuff and bought fritz turbo start 2 weeks of ghost feedings and my tank was ready for 2 clowns

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AEC72BEE-70C8-49E8-98DA-1405D0B279D7.jpeg

This was fist day set up

After a ton of research and planning
DC842186-BAC6-4A08-9DCB-D0D8818F7E1E.jpeg

This is basically what my tank is now after 4 months a few softie corals and 2 clown fish also upgraded my light to AI prime for the corals

Attachments

• CCBFB149-EC73-452B-AC38-180A30B53383.jpeg
    CCBFB149-EC73-452B-AC38-180A30B53383.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 06BF895A-35DE-4310-9630-D0DF321C55CF.jpeg
    06BF895A-35DE-4310-9630-D0DF321C55CF.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 60
  • E4F49187-3744-4638-B3BE-0CBBEC2FAD1A.jpeg
    E4F49187-3744-4638-B3BE-0CBBEC2FAD1A.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 46

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this ^ I bought 45$ of dry rock for saltwater aquarium.com the real cheap stuff and bought fritz turbo start 2 weeks of ghost feedings and my tank was ready for 2 clowns
I think it’s still good to seed it with some real live rock. To me a reef tank isn’t a reef tank without all the microfauna.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s still good to seed it with some real live rock. To me a reef tank isn’t a reef tank without all the microfauna.
But he’s dosing with bacteria? Also it would eliminate unwanted/unneeded pest? The live rock he’s getting isn’t exactly from the ocean, it’s in the LFS tank... which is scary in itself...

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I 100% agree I do have a few pieces of live rock in there there not huge but there in there I was lucky to get copepods and bristle worms and an Astria starfish.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I got the live rock after cycling with dry once I had enough money for it since OP said he on a budget live rock isn’t a must if he isn’t planning on shoving a bunch of live stock in the tank.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I 100% agree I do have a few pieces of live rock in there there not huge but there in there I was lucky to get copepods and bristle worms and an Astria starfish.
Wow, I went a completely different route... I went full dry and added the stuff I wanted in the tank.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I went a completely different route... I went full dry and added the stuff I wanted in the tank.
I mean I didn’t buy the live rock must of my soft corals came on live rock instead of frag plugs also my anemone came on a big piece of live rock I feel like having dry rock makes the the tank mature better then just shoving live rock in there

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Successful attractive saltwater reef aquariums all share one common item: good biology. Quality live rock, live sand, and preferably water ALL preferably from an existing system such as that found at your LFS are key. Trying to create good biology with a bottle of bacteria and tap water is like playing ball with one hand tied behind your back. It can be done, but it won't be ideal.

I recommend you start taking advantage of the best resource in your own back yard and go to them for advice and not here, but hey when I was 15, no way would I have taken advice from some old dude like me :D

PETropolis in Lawrenceburg, Ky

For reference of what I mean by good biology here's my one year old nano and my main reef in it's heyday:

Last edited:

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Successful attractive saltwater reef aquariums all share one common item: good biology. Quality live rock, live sand, and preferably water ALL preferably from an existing system such as that found at your LFS are key. Trying to create good biology with a bottle of bacteria and tap water is like playing ball with one hand tied behind your back. It can be done, but it won't be ideal.

I recommend you start taking advantage of the best resource in your own back yard and go to them for advice and not here, but hey when I was 15, no way would I have taken advice from some old dude like me :D

For reference of what I mean by good biology here's my one year old nano and my main reef in it's heyday:

Also agree with him , ultimately it’s gonna be up to you how you run your tank because your the one that’s gonna be looking at it all day lol, I would come here for suggestions but not choices because everyone runs a different tank . My choices may work for me but not for you and etc but I do wish you luck

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have added one caveat . . . have fun . . . if that means cutting a few corners in the beginning then don't sweat it; that's part of having fun AND learning. Luckily with the size reef you've chosen "do-overs" aren't really a problem except maybe dollar wise :)

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! That’s my LFS it’s an awesome place. :)

I have that same RO/DI system it works great ! I get 5 gallons in a few hours but 0 TDS and it’s perfect for my 20 gallon AIO I do biweekly 10% water changes since it’s a softie/LPS tank also have 2 clowns
It takes that long to get 5 gallons of water!?

—-

I will start off the cycle with dry rock and as much live rock as I can afford. Once I complete the cycle, I will most likely get more live rock, or stock.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back