James’s 29g Nano Build

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest picking some up for next time. Also try to not get the LFS water in your tank the best you can. Just good practice

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't get the lfs water in the tank. I like to float coral then I put them right in. I haven't dipped anything ever but I want to start..

For fish and shrimp I put in a bowl. And add 1/2c of tank water every 5 minutes or so. Do that until it's just my water or majority my water.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also try to not get the LFS water in your tank the best you can. Just good practice
Yes of course, I never add LFS water. I always pour the, into a net over a bucket, then I put them in the tank.

—-

It has been floating in the bag for over an hour, I’m about to add it it!!

Is just anywhere on the sand bed a good place for it?

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the scarlet hermit crab:
DFE7A839-9912-4D6B-B9E4-D417F88D5C66.jpeg

Really nice coloration might I add!

SSS is chilling near the live rock:
3D82963B-51E6-4461-B4BC-5855AF632ABC.jpeg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, looking forward to reading through this. Had a long day so I’m busy being a Viking on PlayStation but I’ll get this read in a few hours.

just figured I’d let you know since you’ve, for no reason I can fathom as I’m also a new salt, decided to follow me on here lol

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just figured I’d let you know since you’ve, for no reason I can fathom as I’m also a new salt, decided to follow me on here lol
You’re just super nice and helpful, that’s why I followed you! ;Cat

—-

Pictures!!
A70D9995-776D-46B0-A2DC-C5CB4E50ACA7.jpeg
6CFB2AF4-97B0-459F-81A3-DE2180CF0528.jpeg

Trashy UV photo:
5781AE02-B05E-40AB-9D03-818354CA37EB.jpeg

(I definitely need to get a lens for my camera. :rolleyes:Of course, this was taken with my trashy iPad camera. I’ll play around with the “good camera” in the morning. :))

I’m super proud of my first coral! Hope it fares well over night.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re just super nice and helpful, that’s why I followed you! ;Cat

—-

Pictures!!
A70D9995-776D-46B0-A2DC-C5CB4E50ACA7.jpeg
6CFB2AF4-97B0-459F-81A3-DE2180CF0528.jpeg

Trashy UV photo:
5781AE02-B05E-40AB-9D03-818354CA37EB.jpeg

(I definitely need to get a lens for my camera. :rolleyes:Of course, this was taken with my trashy iPad camera. I’ll play around with the “good camera” in the morning. :))

I’m super proud of my first coral! Hope it fares well over night.

man, I’m just trying to pay it forward and share my passion for this hobby.

I’ve got the proverbial mentor who is being so nice to me and helpful I don’t know how to deal with it hahaha

least I can do is follow his example.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a hermit now!! So two would work well in my tank?

I do have a Turbo snail in there now and I was planning on getting one more.

—-

Here is my updated stock list: (most of which I haven’t got yet)
  • 2x DaVinci Clownfish
  • 1x Royal Gramma
  • 1x Watchman Goby
  • 2x Turbo Snails
  • 2x Scarlet Skunk Shrimp
  • 2x Hermit Crabs (I was looking into blue-legged and strawberry)
Does this look good?
I would do just the one turbo, and then 2-3 of each of the following: cerith, astrea, margarita, and nassarius snails (you really do need 1-2 snails for every 2 gallons of tank space, so depending on your needs and the types of snails you get, you need between 15 and 30 snails), you want a variety because differently shaped snails can fit into different crevices, and also the all have slightly different appetites (they’ll all eat algae and diatoms, but when you have both or have different kinds of algae, one snail might prefer GHA, and one might prefer diatoms). As far as hermits go, most of the small ones are reef safe (though they will kill snails for theIr shells if you don’t provide them with spares), I would get 8-10 of the really tiny blue legs, or 4-5 of the scarlets, Mexican red-legs, or any of the small reef-safe hermits). It may seem like a lot, but it’s really not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do just the one turbo, and then 2-3 of each of the following: cerith, astrea, margarita, and nassarius snails (you really do need 1-2 snails for every 2 gallons of tank space, so depending on your needs and the types of snails you get, you need between 15 and 30 snails), you want a variety because differently shaped snails can fit into different crevices, and also the all have slightly different appetites (they’ll all eat algae and diatoms, but when you have both or have different kinds of algae, one snail might prefer GHA, and one might prefer diatoms). As far as hermits go, most of the small ones are reef safe (though they will kill snails for theIr shells if you don’t provide them with spares), I would get 8-10 of the really tiny blue legs, or 4-5 of the scarlets, Mexican red-legs, or any of the small reef-safe hermits). It may seem like a lot jnremenkremje hi
Oh, I only got 1 scarlet... ;Facepalm

I meant to get more snails, but I was in a huge rush this afternoon. :rolleyes:

I’ll definitely pick up more next time I go.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok. I think I’m going to hold off for now.

I am planning on getting 1x scarlet skunk shrimp, and some more snails.

The SSS shouldn’t hurt anything, correct?
It will also irritate your corals by constantly walking across them, and also steal food from them. I’ve got a coral banded shrimp right now (but I’ve had pretty much all of the more popular species, and they’ll all do the same thing), and I basically bottle feed him with a pipette before I target feed my corals so that he doesn’t go around and steal the food from each coral. Personally, I don’t think hermits are nearly as bad as shrimp are in terms of irritating corals, and while they can (and will) kill snails (and each other) for their shells, you largely avoid it if you offer a variety of the right type of shells in different sizes for your hermits (look at the type of shell the hermits you get are in and try to offer more of the same type, or something with similarly shaped hole/spiral, most lfs should have tons, they’ll usually give them to you for free). Also, once your tank gets a little more established, look into getting a fighting/tiger/strawberry conch, they’be got a lot of personality and do a great job of keeping your sand clean/stirred up.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will also irritate your corals by constantly walking across them, and also steal food from them. I’ve got a coral banded shrimp right now (but I’ve had pretty much all of the more popular species, and they’ll all do the same thing), and I basically bottle feed him with a pipette before I target feed my corals so that he doesn’t go around and steal the food from each coral. Personally, I don’t think hermits are nearly as bad as shrimp are in terms of irritating corals, and while they can (and will) kill snails (and each other) for their shells, you largely avoid it if you offer a variety of the right type of shells in different sizes for your hermits (look at the type of shell the hermits you get are in and try to offer more of the same type, or something with similarly shaped hole/spiral, most lfs should have tons, they’ll usually give them to you for free). Also, once your tank gets a little more established, look into getting a fighting/tiger/strawberry conch, they’be got a lot of personality and do a great job of keeping your sand clean/stirred up.
I will definitely get some empty shells for my hermit, so he doesn’t end up killing my turbo.

My shrimp has stayed behind the rocks all night long... maybe the powerhead is to powerful for it? Or is it because he’s so new to the tank?

—-

Also, the hermit crab has barely moved any.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, don’t handle Zoas with bare hands and make sure to wash your hands after playing with the tank, . Zoas are toxic, awesome coral to have in the tank. But just know there toxins can hurt you. If you ever plan of fragging them, put goggles on, even a small surgical mask will help.

Edit: Just wanted to add, not trying to scare you away from them. Even driving a car can be unsafe, that’s why we use seatbelts.

Last edited:

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, don’t handle Zoas with bare hands and make sure to wash your hands after playing with the tank, . Zoas are toxic, awesome coral to have in the tank. But just know there toxins can hurt you. If you ever plan of fragging them, put goggles on, even a small surgical mask will help.
+1

also from my experience I bought way to many coral in the first 3 months , one being an anenome and so far the anenome is dying and my hammer coral is in bad shape I’m trying my best to keep them alive. The j the other hand my zoas , Kenya tree and mushroom are thriving

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: Just wanted to add, not trying to scare you away from them. Even driving a car can be unsafe, that’s why we use seatbelts.
My LFS owner said it was a polyp... maybe he was wrong? It’s so confusing, because they look the same. ;Facepalm

+1

also from my experience I bought way to many coral in the first 3 months , one being an anenome and so far the anenome is dying and my hammer coral is in bad shape I’m trying my best to keep them alive. The j the other hand my zoas , Kenya tree and mushroom are thriving
I was very tempted to get a nem. yesterday, because they were on sale - I restrained myself though. ;Nailbiting;Stop

—-

The hermit crab and the shrimp are oddly in-active... is this normal?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back