2nd Attempt at AquaScape

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... here we go again. 2nd attempt. I got some Caribsea Life Rock Shapes along with some Marco rocks. (I'm not particularly fond of the different colors but cost was a factor) . I only got a video so hopefully that helps.

Attachments

• GX010009.mp4
    46.5 MB

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some plastic bundling strap and it will be very good. I do not know your aquariums height but IMO - it is wise to leave around 20 cm free water space between highest rock and water surface. Good place for some corals to grow on.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some plastic bundling strap and it will be very good. I do not know your aquariums height but IMO - it is wise to leave around 20 cm free water space between highest rock and water surface. Good place for some corals to grow on.

Sincerely Lasse
Hi Lasse,
Thank you for your recommendations. Can you please clarify what you mean by "Plastic Bundling Strap"? I am planning on using the Marco 400 Cement to secure things together.

jRatanak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks good! I'm personally a fan of having multiple smaller structures as opposed to one large one, especially cause it can be helpful from keeping fast growers from taking over everything haha something to consider depending on what you plan on keeping

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks good! I'm personally a fan of having multiple smaller structures as opposed to one large one, especially cause it can be helpful from keeping fast growers from taking over everything haha something to consider depending on what you plan on keeping
Thank you jRatanak!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic Bundling Strap
Something like this Probably I got lost in translation - the Swedish name is "buntband" But please use UV resistant cable tie - there is an history how one of the public aquaria in Europe had use indoor cable tie. And it was a hugejob to repair that mistake :D

Sincerely Lasse

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse comment about aquascape height is an important one. I've made the mistake before of building too high. A popular builder in the hobby told me (for SPS dominant tanks specifically) not to build much higher than 1/2 the water height. If you build to high, and corals grow out, here will be some of your problems:

- the bottom half of your tank will be shaded out; this is not a good visual.
- keeping adequate flow will be very difficult
- the corals will quickly reach the water line and struggle there
- unless the viewer is seated, they won't see your prized SPS corals up top

Solving for these issues is a pain. I had to run two gyres and 2 MP40s and still struggle with flow. Also had to change out my light to a much larger fixture to try and solve for shading.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse comment about aquascape height is an important one. I've made the mistake before of building too high. A popular builder in the hobby told me (for SPS dominant tanks specifically) not to build much higher than 1/2 the water height. If you build to high, and corals grow out, here will be some of your problems:

- the bottom half of your tank will be shaded out; this is not a good visual.
- keeping adequate flow will be very difficult
- the corals will quickly reach the water line and struggle there
- unless the viewer is seated, they won't see your prized SPS corals up top

Solving for these issues is a pain. I had to run two gyres and 2 MP40s and still struggle with flow. Also had to change out my light to a much larger fixture to try and solve for shading.
Duly noted ScottB. Thank you for you insights

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this Probably I got lost in translation - the Swedish name is "buntband" But please use UV resistant cable tie - there is an history how one of the public aquaria in Europe had use indoor cable tie. And it was a hugejob to repair that mistake :D

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you for clarifying

Back