2nd Neptune EB832 failure in 5 months + a Trident I can't use. Thinking about switching to GHL. GHL users, what do you think?

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my second EB832 has failed in 5 months. It was switching on and off and the lights were flickering, and it was showing it was using 5,849 watts. I doubt it was really using that much, but either way I'm glad it didn't catch on fire and burn down my house. Luckily I was in town and I got about 20 text warnings that it was using zero power as it fluctuated between working and not working over a period of two days. My first one failed in May and I went through the effort to send it in even thought it was outside the warranty window, because there was no reason I could tell for it's failure, and I hoped it would be an easy fix, and cheaper than having to buy a replacement. It SHOULD have not catastrophically failed for no reason because it was mounted on a wall and basically not touched for over a year after I programmed everything. The Neptune support team told me "there are just too many damaged components on the PCB for a cost effective repair, and the entire board will need to be replaced." However, due to COVID supply issues there were no parts available so they offered me a new one at 30% off. I didn't buy another one because I had a second one running and also had a spare. I setup the spare one and kept going, until the other one just failed. Now I'm just using the one that was my spare and an older energy bar I still had hooked up and running just one thing. I'm not buying another EB832 to replace the second one that died. I've actually got two of the older energy bars that have never had a problem in over 5 years. I'll just use those and forego the short term benefits of having the functionality another EB832 would have until it dies in a year or so. No way I'm paying to have something fail over and over. It was a waste of time and money to send my first one in. I won't make that mistake again. Twice now in just 5 months I've had to transfer every plug and reprogram everything over to another EB832. This is not the piece of mind and automation I expect from a controller system.

I've always been happy with Neptune customer service. I think they are a good company overall, however this EB832 and the scaricty of the Trident reagent kits are about to drive me away forever. I'm heavily invested in the Apex system, so switching would be a huge decision for me. I've got at least one of almost every product Neptune sells. I've got two DOS, 6 WAV, multiple flow monitors, bought three EB832, two auto feeders, multiple leak detectors, optical level sensors, lunar simulator lights and modules, salinity module, and the Trident. However I haven't even hooked up the Trident because I can't get enough of the reagent kits to know once I start using it I can keep using it. They sell out of the anemic supply of reagents everywhere within minutes of them being posted, and so far I've never been able to get online in time to get a 6 month kit. I don't know if I'll ever even hook the Trident up at all. I'm not going to setup and then rely on something for two months and then not be able to continue to use it unless I manage to get lucky enough to be online the moment a new shipment drops and manage to get an order in within minutes before they are sold out again everywhere for months.

Like I said, I'm pretty heavily invested in the Apex system and running over 600 gallons in two tanks with it now. However the EB832 is a piece of junk that is really a disposable item not too long after the warranty period passes. I think the EB832 is the worst product by far Neptune has ever sold, and it makes the entire Apex system unreliable in my opinion. I waited a long time and finally got a Trident. but I've been waiting just as long if not longer now with it sitting in the box on my shelf while I'm waiting to get enough reagents to make it worth the setup time to run the thing. I'm considering scrapping everything and moving to another controller before I hook up my new 460 gallon tank into the system.

Anybody make the switch from Apex to GHL and have thoughts they'd like to share.

IMG_3978.jpeg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about all the problems you've experienced. I'm a long-time IT guy and always prepare for equipment failures, so I've had a spare Apex and spare EB832 on the shelf just in case something goes wrong, but so far my Apex and EB832 have both been running perfectly for 2.5 years.

It would be interesting to see official stats on Apex hardware failure rates to see how wide-spread this problem is, or if yours was just an unlucky fluke.

OP
OP
Monkeytank

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about all the problems you've experienced. I'm a long-time IT guy and always prepare for equipment failures, so I've had a spare Apex and spare EB832 on the shelf just in case something goes wrong, but so far my Apex and EB832 have both been running perfectly for 2.5 years.

It would be interesting to see official stats on Apex hardware failure rates to see how wide-spread this problem is, or if yours was just an unlucky fluke.
That would be great info to know. It would help me decide to switch or not. I've seen a lot of posts about EB832 failures, but I don't know how many that really relates to.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, did you use any surge suppressors with your EB832's? While the EB832 has a built in circuit breaker for amperage overload on the outputs, it does not have any built in surge suppression circuitry, so it's susceptible to lightning or other surges at the power input side.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nominal loads?
Do you have a pic of the install?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Monkeytank - Yes I have done the swap out. 3 systems to be exact, from Apex to GHL.

Very large thread on the switch out:

Even thou the thread was started back in 2017 fast forward today and 3 years later I have no regrets. My forth tank is running both and Apex and GHL and helps me answer specific apex questions. I am working on update videos once I slow down from work, which the last 7-8 months it has not been anything but slow.

GHL does things through menu options, and you will need to unlearn what you know about Apex programming language and the terms used by GHL are different then Neptune Systems.

I have never had as much fun with my tanks as I have had switching from Apex to GHL. I am not tied like I use to be with fusion, or trouble shooting anomalies. I no longer worry about the controller not doing what I need it to do.

I am also not home sometimes weeks on end because of my job, I had no issues controlling monitoring my tanks even though multiple power outages. Stability is key

If you have specific questions feel free to PM
more the happy to answer.

Last edited:

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heart breaking I hope everything works out for you Brother. I can't imagine how much money you invested in the Apex system Maybe they should send you out another EB832 on the house. For a valued customer.

OP
OP
Monkeytank

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update, and it's a really good one. I got a call and an e-mail this morning from Paul at Trident. He had read the post and was able to tell me what was wrong with this one based on the description and the picture showing which plugs were reading abnormally high. They are going to ship out a replacement and I'll cross ship mine for them. He is also throwing in some reagent so I can feel comfortable getting my Trident running.

I was frustrated when I wrote the original post. However, I did mention I've been happy with Trident's customer service and I think they are a good company. They proved that again by reaching out to me. They do appreciate that I've heavily invested in their products. We talked about the failure rate of the EB832, and while he couldn't tell me specifics about the actual rate, we did talk about the large numbers out there and the majority of positive reviews. I think that's probably the case that there are many more working fine than having problems and I happened to have a string of bad luck with mine. Most people, myself included, post when they are aren't happy with something and generally don't post when they are happy.

We also talked about the reagent shortage and I do believe they are trying to get them out as fast as they can. I do understand a Made in America (which I appreciate) product having trouble this year with all the COVID issues. I'm friends with a brewer who is having trouble with an aluminum can shortage and a guy that had to stop production of his protein bars because of supply side problems with the peanut butter he uses.

Overall, I'm impressed they reached out to me and, and I appreciate that a lot. That kind of support can make all the difference in the world in this hobby. I don't know what GHL's service is like, but I'd expect it to be good. I don't know if they'd be as good to me as Neptune is being. For now, that's enough for me to be happy with what I've got.

I appreciate the input of those of you who posted replies here!

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update, and it's a really good one. I got a call and an e-mail this morning from Paul at Trident. He had read the post and was able to tell me what was wrong with this one based on the description and the picture showing which plugs were reading abnormally high. They are going to ship out a replacement and I'll cross ship mine for them. He is also throwing in some reagent so I can feel comfortable getting my Trident running.

I was frustrated when I wrote the original post. However, I did mention I've been happy with Trident's customer service and I think they are a good company. They proved that again by reaching out to me. They do appreciate that I've heavily invested in their products. We talked about the failure rate of the EB832, and while he couldn't tell me specifics about the actual rate, we did talk about the large numbers out there and the majority of positive reviews. I think that's probably the case that there are many more working fine than having problems and I happened to have a string of bad luck with mine. Most people, myself included, post when they are aren't happy with something and generally don't post when they are happy.

We also talked about the reagent shortage and I do believe they are trying to get them out as fast as they can. I do understand a Made in America (which I appreciate) product having trouble this year with all the COVID issues. I'm friends with a brewer who is having trouble with an aluminum can shortage and a guy that had to stop production of his protein bars because of supply side problems with the peanut butter he uses.

Overall, I'm impressed they reached out to me and, and I appreciate that a lot. That kind of support can make all the difference in the world in this hobby. I don't know what GHL's service is like, but I'd expect it to be good. I don't know if they'd be as good to me as Neptune is being. For now, that's enough for me to be happy with what I've got.

I appreciate the input of those of you who posted replies here!
:WOOT: :WOOT:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer worry about the controller not doing what I need it to do.
This is my largest benefit, and the ProfiLux4 platform is not without it's own quirks or issues. I will echo what many have stated, I should have switched sooner.

The good news is, relatively speaking, Apex gear holds a decently high resale value. I've gotten rid of everything except a 2016 head/EB8/DOS, and probably got a good 70-80% of retail back.

RE:CS, the cynic in me thinks they reached out so quickly because bad press on R2R for them that gets traction makes a lot of the marketing money spent go down the drain.

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update, and it's a really good one. I got a call and an e-mail this morning from Paul at Trident. He had read the post and was able to tell me what was wrong with this one based on the description and the picture showing which plugs were reading abnormally high.

Would you mind sharing the cause for posterity?

Not to victim blame - but if you had two similar failures I was starting to think there was some other common denominator (dirty power, high humidity, etc). Safe to assume this was not the case?

OP
OP
Monkeytank

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing the cause for posterity?

Not to victim blame - but if you had two similar failures I was starting to think there was some other common denominator (dirty power, high humidity, etc). Safe to assume this was not the case?
I don't think there was a common denominator. I didn't really get into a lot of details during the conversation, but it was a different issue this time. Last time there was something wrong with the entire board. This time there was a common part that connects the three ports that were showing the really high wattage draw (4, 7, and 8). He may have mentioned a voltage switch, but I dont recall exactly? He said the part that was the problem was replaceable, so they could fix it.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very glad to hear that Neptune has stepped up. I, too, am heavily invested in Apex, and have had repeated problems with Neptune products. Had to have my Trident replaced after 10 months, I had a bad PB8 (My EB32's have been fine, knock on wood).

I've been closely watching the Coralview Hydros controller. Not quite where I'd need them to be yet, but it's a promising start.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you got a positive outcome. Bummer it took a post on the forum to create said outcome.

roman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two eb832 that went dead just after warranty period . The little lights are on but all of the outlets don’t respond.Also I have 6 Neptune Wav’s and loved them till each one systematically started failing except for one loan soldier still working perfectly. I regularly kept them clean and like the idea of no motor on the outside to fall off and you can adjust the flow where you want. I have invested thousands into their products and like their products but wondering if the quality is slipping.

SeaCreature

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had multiple failures with the EB832 just after the warranty period also. I went back to original EB8. Miss the power monitoring capabilities of the 832 but could not afford the failure rate. Otherwise I have been satisfied with the Neptune products that I have invested in. Apex , Apex Jr, Apex EL, WXM, ALD, PM1, PM2, and Trident. I am fairly new to the hobby 2+ years but I do believe quality is important to them. No one is perfect.

U

User1

View Badges
Glad to hear you got a positive outcome. Bummer it took a post on the forum to create said outcome.

Yes and no. A lot of it depends on what the issue is. I've had a issue with an eb832, sent in a ticket, asked me to do a few things, replied via email, and a RMA was sent explaining what they can, can't do, and what it could cost. I sent the unit in via UPS standard shipping, they received it, day later I had an email with a return order/shipping confirmation and that was it. Quick and easy. Another time similar but received a phone call explaining what the repair cost would be, if I wanted to, and again 3 or so days later fixed and shipped back to me.

Not always happens this way I get it. I feel they always try regardless. Sometimes they hit a home run other times it may take a couple batters to bring it home. The good news is that it was resolved for both parties.

Total aside if you haven't @Ditto thread is a good one should anyone go that route. I'm not a GHL user nor do I have plans to change. I read through it for why I can't remember but it has a lot of detailed and unbiased information which is nice. Anyone asking questions I always throw them to that thread :)

Glad the apex/eb832 is working. Paul is a stand up guy.

Back