2nd SW tank, 1st time reef looking for advice on 30 gallon with 20 High refugium pvc water bridge

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any pictures just yet, working with the basic Aqueon 30 and 20 high tanks and stock black pine stand. Only have the 30 so far, still gathering equipment and planning the whole thing but height will be the same. A few questions really, for a light stand I'm half tempted to just run it as is, but maybe take it easy on the live rock, heavier on the sand. So I'm debating on DSB in one or both tanks. 30 will have 2 Hydor nano 425, 2 240s in the 20. Thinking fiji pink in the 30 and oolite for the 20. By easy on the rock, 1lb per gallon is the least I would prefer but also never setup a fish tank on an open top stand before. No fancy bells and whistles, trying to keep it simple for now and add equipment as I go.

Each tank will have its own heater, figure at the opposite ends, thinking 150w and 100w. So far I'm debating on maybe trying Xenia but I also like a lot of the polyp corals, thinking filter feeders would be the simpler bet although I would like to have a large pod population. Only macro planned for the 20 so far is chaeto, which would probably work just fine. But I suppose if nutrient export is the main goal xenia and chaeto may be the simplest option, as long as it's nice to look at, the xenia, chaeto can fill the 20 for all I care but im not sure if there will be enough flow to keep it spinning

On lighting just for simplicity I'm thinking Fluval Marine 3.0 and the Plant 3.0

Was thinking about 3" gap between the tanks, really basic plumbing, I rent and my landlord will barely allow this much. Plumbing idea was a simple pvc water bridge I guess you could call it. From the little bit of information I've gathered on plumbing tanks together this way 1" piping with some type of screening material on each side should suffice and common practice seems to use two of them. Figure about 8" long each side to be safe, plus whatever for the top pieces. Doesn't sound too likely to fail that I know of, at least as far as leaks go, correct me if I'm wrong.

Only thing I have so far is the 30 and the 2 425 pumps, I haven't ordered the rest yet, trying to lock down the plan. Only things I'm unsure of is sand depth in each tank, I like the idea of a dsb, if not 2" but really not sure how dsb works. Wouldn't you have to bury the rocks? Suppose it depends on the size of the live rocks, haven't decided what I'm using for live rock this time. Last time I got the stamped reef rocks at petco and I have seen some of those still around a few stores recently but they are smaller, think the employees always said 3-5 lbs each. And according to their website Easy Aquariums has their new location at least set, not sure if it's open yet, may be my best bet on live rock. Had 3 freshwater tanks before the last sw, finally in my own place and trying to get back into the hobby.

Sure I may have missed a few things, Let me know if any of this makes any sense to you or if it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Tried going right for a 50, stand I had wasn't cut out for it and my landlord saw it and got nervous, he wasn't eager on a 40 either but he settled on a 30. I'm hoping to not end up with a headache so simple solution seems to me to add a 20 next to it, was hoping to do two 30s but he is determined to put a closet in the corner. I figure 50 gallons saltwater, plus water for water changes and top offs is enough weight for one room. Figure later a 10 gallon tank for ato and return pump, not sure if I should hard plumb that and just have it sit over the water surface. I buy all my water at petco, although I will see about an rodi filter here. Just assume use the boxed saltwater than artificial, as long as I keep my stocking low enough that water changes don't run me broke. Was thinking 15 gallons a month was reasonable but maybe low depending on stock.

Thanks for reading, let me know if you have any suggestions. For stocking I'm planning on simple as possible, primarily captive breed species. Kids want ocellaris clownfish again, I'm thinking about Bangai or Kauderns Cardinals and possibly yellow watchman goby and or court jester goby. Not sure which my last ywg was but saw the gobies other day on algaebarn. Ultimately I'm leaning towards fish that serve a function and a reasonable easy to maintain tank, I figure either clowns or cardinals could end up breeding so hard to say if I should do two pairs in the 30, or both gobies. Also not sure what if anything I should put in the 20

OP
OP
J

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating on just keeping it simple for sand at 2", not sure a DSB is really worth it in a 16" tall tank. Plus sand isn't that cheap, especially live. Figure that will save weight and money, may eventually put a PS in the 20 if need be

OP
OP
J

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some browsing on the forum and water bridges seem to be pretty standard. Trying to convince the landlord to not bother with the closet door, would waste the whole corner. Not sure what I would put in another 30 coral wise or fish but I may have the floorspace for 3 tanks, 30, with a 20 to the right, butted up to another 30 in the corner. Would be a tad tight on space but not by much and should open up a lot of other options. May even consider a mandarin one day if I do go this route. Gives me the ability to give the kids their clowns and a separate tank to maybe try bangai cardinals.

Suppose I could do xenia in the other 30 but seems repetitive. Sure I could find a few polyp corals, GSP looks nice as well as quite a few others I've seen. I don't have the budget for a lot of corals so one encrusting type seems to be the simple way to go. Been tempted to try xenia since I saw a massive colony of it on a live rock at easy aquariums. Will update if I come up with any other ideas, let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas. So far I'm thinking as simple as possible and adding more water volume seems to be the simplest and smartest option.

OP
OP
J

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will get a picture up tomorrow, suppose I can make it more of a build thread. Got the first 30 filled and running, with space laid out for the 20 high and another 30. Will probably be a few weeks before I get live rock. Went a bit heavy on the sand, 60lb of Fiji pink, will most likely move some over to the 20 once it clears and I can level it.
Thinking on this stocking for the 1st 30
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
Orchid Dottyback
Bicolor Blenny
Yellow watchman goby
Then just regular snails, a regular pistol shrimp and a blue tuxedo urchin
Red Sea Pom Pom Xenia, just gonna let it spread, thinking back glass and rockwork.

For the other 30 I'm thinking Green Star Polyps and the stocking could be changed around still unsure on a few.
2 Kauderns Cardinals
Royal Gramma Basslet
Court Jester Goby
Lawnmower Blenny
Possibly a Tiger Watchman Goby and Tiger pistol shrimp, haven't seen the goby locally.

Thinking for live rocks I'll fill a couple buckets of saltwater and see how many stamped reef rocks I can find at Petco. Seen a few stores that still had some left. Suppose I could go man made too, but will try to stick to what's locally available, in Maine anyways. Although a drive to NH isn't a big deal for a weekend.

OP
OP
J

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I added the picture correctly. Going a bit simpler since the wall for the other 30 is a bit drafty I’ll put all my water over there until the closet gets done. Couldn’t make up my mind on the sand, probably gonna take the top 3/4” and use that for the 20. Got a friend that is breeding brine shrimp so I may try to breed brine shrimp in that tank too. Couple ideas I’m thinking about, but trying to keep it relatively simple.

Running the wave pumps and heater off my APC power backup for my computer in case of a power loss. Almost wonder if I should have stuck with a 100w heater instead of the 150w. Have yet to lose power since it’s been running.

Any suggestions for attempting to breed copepods and brine shrimp in that tank? From what I read the brine shrimp will eat the smaller copepods and the fish will eat either. Probably put at least a few small live rocks in the 20 and debating on live rock rubble piles in a couple back corners.

Did a bit of down sizing in the living room, trying to keep it nice and simple. My computer puts out a lot of heat so I have that tower fan to try to push it down the hallway. Don’t use it for gaming too much, heats my whole apartment when I do.

Attachments

• F05AC66F-B217-40A7-9AA9-CA3DFB93D791.jpeg
    F05AC66F-B217-40A7-9AA9-CA3DFB93D791.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 37
  • F78E5D8E-AE69-48FE-8B6C-2EC13D45A16B.jpeg
    F78E5D8E-AE69-48FE-8B6C-2EC13D45A16B.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
J

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh another thing I’m debating on now that I’m only doing one tank with corals is green star polyps on the rocks and Xenia on the back glass. Just can’t decide which color Xenia would look good with the GSP. Torn between either a red or blue Xenia.

Was eventually going to add a protein skimmer just not sure which would be the best for the setup, especially since I planned to put it in the 20.

Also decided not to mess with the factory stand and just stuck a leveling pad under the stand. Will say I’ve never had a tank this level before, don’t think I would ever setup another tank without it. But with the way the tank sits on the stand I assumed under the stand was the safe bet

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few pictures of my first tank. Rushed through cycling and into macro algae. Learned quite a bit, like turbo snails love graciliara. Had it growing pretty good on the wave pumps but it didn’t last long. Think the coloring was better after I put a dimmer switch on the 10k Beamswork light, just doing the planted plus this time for chaeto but I may end up dropping some in if I can get ahold of any.

This was before I accidentally put the block of frozen brine shrimp in the drawer rather than back in the freezer. That was horrible, the six line wrasse wasn’t too happy and ate the peppermint shrimp before I got more brine.
So definitely thinking I want to establish a live food source in this tank if possible. Not sure if I should try to throw mysis into the mix. Also not planning on a wrasse this time, but that six line was the star of that tank. Way too small of a tank for it but with the small stamped reef rocks I was able to make all sorts of caves and the small hole in the middle worked perfect.

Had a few territory disputes between the six line and the ywg but it was mostly when I ran out of brine. For the most part they had enough caves to avoid each other

4BAC8737-E616-4267-AFCA-30DD583E6CDE.jpeg A9989269-339F-49D5-89C9-CA42AA754BE2.jpeg B5821391-860A-4669-91E1-21E081ACEA01.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I just killed two birds with one stone. Never been a fan of decorating for Christmas but think I’ll go for gsp and red Xenia then chaeto and red graciliara. Granted the red Pom Pom Xenia wasn’t the brightest of a red but close enough to me.

Should get the family off my back about decorating next year. Christmas trees are nice and all but I prefer them outside and alive. Lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back