2nd Try. Please Help! Parasite? Fungus? White "hairs/spikes" on invert.

AustinC63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some white hair like things coming off of my cleaner shrimp today (see photos & video). You can really see it protruding from his legs and tail. Does anyone know if this is normal? I'm afraid it might be a parasite or some sort of sickness but I cant seem to find much information on it.

Photo Nov 22, 8 16 11 PM.jpg Photo Nov 22, 8 50 31 PM.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance you can retake the pictures under just white light? I con't quite make out what you are describing.

Cleaner shrimp do have other animals grow on their shell from time to time, spirobolid worms for example. These normally don't cause any issues. When was the last time this shrimp molted?

Jay

OP
OP
AustinC63

AustinC63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal i don't have better photos but here is a video where you can see it pretty clearly, especially coming off of its legs and tail. It molted about a week ago and that seemed to shake some of it off but its back now.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some white hair like things coming off of my cleaner shrimp today (see photos & video). You can really see it protruding from his legs and tail. Does anyone know if this is normal? I'm afraid it might be a parasite or some sort of sickness but I cant seem to find much information on it.

Photo Nov 22, 8 16 11 PM.jpg Photo Nov 22, 8 50 31 PM.png
That’s how my peppermint shrimp looked before it died. I don’t know why it died, but that’s just like how it looked.
How is the shrimp acting and moving around? Is it lethargic or acting funny? It could just be dying from maybe lack of supplements or water fluctuations.

OP
OP
AustinC63

AustinC63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how my peppermint shrimp looked before it died. I don’t know why it died, but that’s just like how it looked.
How is the shrimp acting and moving around? Is it lethargic or acting funny? It could just be dying from maybe lack of supplements or water fluctuations.
Not acting noticeably different and eating fine. Water quality has been great too. I've been doing water changes every 4 days just to be positive its not that.

OP
OP
AustinC63

AustinC63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance you can retake the pictures under just white light? I con't quite make out what you are describing.

Cleaner shrimp do have other animals grow on their shell from time to time, spirobolid worms for example. These normally don't cause any issues. When was the last time this shrimp molted?

Jay

Back