OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you're going to need another change to decrease nitrate (at some point = only since its increasing quickly). Remember if you change 50% the nitrate will drop to 20-40 - assuming that no new nitrate is being produced. I would completely ignore nitrite readings. Remember also that between certain tests, nitrate and nitrite can interfere - and results in false positives. You can certainly do a water change - but until your ammonia is lower, you are probably causing some fish damage - assuming the test is correct. Ammonia also feeds algae.
Thanks mate, did about 40% change lastnight will test again when I finish work

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you wouldn't change the water again?
no. You say you got most of the flakes out if you have a decent clean up crew they will take care of it along with your bio. The cloudy bit means your having a bio outbreak. Changing water will destabilize your tank even more.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no. You say you got most of the flakes out if you have a decent clean up crew they will take care of it along with your bio. The cloudy bit means your having a bio outbreak. Changing water will destabilize your tank even more.
Curious - when the 'clean up crew' cleans it up - what happens to their waste? When the 'bio' cleans it up, what happens to the 'bio's waste - the answer - nitrate. How to get rid of nitrate - relatively quickly - water changes. Water changes with appropriate water do not destabilize your tank. (i.e matching Alkalinity, temp, salinity), etc.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - when the 'clean up crew' cleans it up - what happens to their waste? When the 'bio' cleans it up, what happens to the 'bio's waste - the answer - nitrate. How to get rid of nitrate - relatively quickly - water changes. Water changes with appropriate water do not destabilize your tank. (i.e matching Alkalinity, temp, salinity), etc.

You could wait until everything has processed and do a water change once or twice at the end instead of doing a water change every day. I agree a water change every day is likely to extend the period of instability and bacteria blooms.

Also matching every single parameter every day for a small water change sounds pretty difficult with lots of opportunities for mistakes. Different ways to look at it and some of it depends on how good or lucky you are.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if anyone already mentioned this but i'd be more concerned about the toddler able to climb and reach the top of the tank. As he gets bigger there would be a legit risk that he may one day be able to climb and fall into the tank... Should probably start thinking about future proofing your tank setup for the curious climb toddler.

Coming from personal experience, they get even worse and more daring in their climbs when they turn 3.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NIneteen stuck ammonia posts are beckoning updates here both subliminally and liminally

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back