3,000 Gallon Indoor/Outdoor Aquarium DIY Build

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok had a few min. to read through...dang that is great guess you are a builder and can to all this DIY?
love everything about this. the landscaping is even epic. wanna come out to the Tetons and do that to my house...lol family vacation?

keep the post coming!

OP
OP
TheWildWillauers

TheWildWillauers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW this is crazy epic.
Following!

Thank you!!

ok had a few min. to read through...dang that is great guess you are a builder and can to all this DIY?
love everything about this. the landscaping is even epic. wanna come out to the Tetons and do that to my house...lol family vacation?

keep the post coming!

HAHA don't tempt me! That would be a dream to be able to build systems for others, as much as it is a pain in the butt, I think I enjoy the building process just as much as maintaining the system. I really appreciate the kind words!

OP
OP
TheWildWillauers

TheWildWillauers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-July 2018

The natural sunlight does have its drawbacks; the algae grows like crazy!
c5aDDrR.jpg

To help combat, I pulled the trigger on a pentair UV sterilizer. This seems to have really helped clear up the cloudiness after a few weeks
7ieCBat.jpg

Finishing up some aquascape; I had to get in the tank to complete the back structure
VOCrysp.jpg

YbctJi0.jpg

7Pyr4fD.jpg

Finishing up the exterior fascia nearly complete!
RTwEHit.jpg

gLgn6bE.jpg

SqUhudi.jpg

UwCTdND.jpg

OP
OP
TheWildWillauers

TheWildWillauers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build
Awesome man!

Thanks guys!!

Since the end of the summer of 2018, the actual building has been complete. The system has been going through changes since then, like everyone else's system, trying to tweak and streamline certain things. My next plan is to build a larger skimmer so I can throttle back on water changes.

-December 2018
RTHuLK1.jpg

ZmHFG9C.jpg

xjN4UEw.jpg

TUdZJuH.jpg

8suEQ5m.jpg

OP
OP
TheWildWillauers

TheWildWillauers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is NUTS!!! I love it.

The best part... sitting outside in the winter, in your hot tub, and admiring reef fish. I need to see video of that!

Haha Thank you! That really is our favorite thing about the whole system. Relaxing in the hot tub in the snowy weather just watching the fish dart around.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful tank and your landscaping is breathtaking, thanks so much for sharing it with us. !!

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheWildWillauers

Just wanted to get some clarity on this seal method to make sure I understand it correctly. The bolts go through the outside steel frame pass through the viewing panel without threads then partially into the acrylic block where they thread in for a snug fit?

88fkMqD.jpg

-Applying silicone to the inside of the acrylic frame to help create a better seal once the bolts are tightened
fzf6VWR.jpg

HYvwkJ8.jpg

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar Q to @AlexG , is that an internal acrylic brace with exposed bolt heads? What are the bolts made out of? Titanium? I tried to do something similar in my plywood disaster build, but covered everything in marine adhesive because SS will rust eventually if submerged in SW, even 316. There was a cool comment on my thread to countersink in acrylic and then seal the bolt heads to prevent rusting into the tank.

OP
OP
TheWildWillauers

TheWildWillauers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the pupper in the above post! please post pics of him or her too, we love dogs also! Welcome to R2R!!

Haha Thank you! He is an American Bully, named Bronx, we rescued a few years ago, he is about 5 years old now, but still acts like a puppy! Even though he can be a terror, making chew toys of just about anything he can find, he is such a sweetheart. We have always had huskies before, so he is pretty much just a lazy meatball compared to them.

TLKMRax.png

Py3THO7.png

-Clearly, he is very spoiled

GiQi4Fx.png

dXdRdgs.jpg

Absolutely beautiful tank and your landscaping is breathtaking, thanks so much for sharing it with us. !!

Thank you! I really appreciate that :)

Just wanted to get some clarity on this seal method to make sure I understand it correctly. The bolts go through the outside steel frame pass through the viewing panel without threads then partially into the acrylic block where they thread in for a snug fit?

Yep, that is exactly it! Through the steel L frame, passing through the viewing panel that does not have threads into the acrylic frame that does have threads

Similar Q to @AlexG , is that an internal acrylic brace with exposed bolt heads? What are the bolts made out of? Titanium? I tried to do something similar in my plywood disaster build, but covered everything in marine adhesive because SS will rust eventually if submerged in SW, even 316. There was a cool comment on my thread to countersink in acrylic and then seal the bolt heads to prevent rusting into the tank.

We just used stainless steel bolts. The internal acrylic frame/brace was not completely drilled through, thus keeping the bolts non-exposed to the water. We had to thread tap the acrylic frame to allow for the bolts to get a firm bite, otherwise there was too much torque and would snap the heads.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the summer months or when you get intense direct sun light have you thought about the green house shad cloth? the stuff they use in green houses so the plants not fry in the summer heat. I believe you can get it in different levels of shad - if that makes any sense.

BTW I should this to my GF she not normally to excited about fish tanks but she really liked this one, she said great job on the land scape and viewing from the hot tub!
you sir have done the impossible. lol

OP
OP
TheWildWillauers

TheWildWillauers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely awesome!

Thank you!!

for the summer months or when you get intense direct sun light have you thought about the green house shad cloth? the stuff they use in green houses so the plants not fry in the summer heat. I believe you can get it in different levels of shad - if that makes any sense.

BTW I should this to my GF she not normally to excited about fish tanks but she really liked this one, she said great job on the land scape and viewing from the hot tub!
you sir have done the impossible. lol

I have thought of that! I currently use tarps, especially the past week or so, it has been non-stop sunshine and 90+ degree weather, but I hate the looks of it. I would like to eventually come up with something a little more aesthetic and convenient like a greenhouse shade cloth that could roll out/up depending on weather conditions.

And thank you, that is quite the compliment! lol You know something must have been done right when you can convince a significant other about a project :p

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!

I have thought of that! I currently use tarps, especially the past week or so, it has been non-stop sunshine and 90+ degree weather, but I hate the looks of it. I would like to eventually come up with something a little more aesthetic and convenient like a greenhouse shade cloth that could roll out/up depending on weather conditions.

And thank you, that is quite the compliment! lol You know something must have been done right when you can convince a significant other about a project :p

Here is an idea...not sure it 's a good one, but here it is none the less. get on of the fancy auto RV awning ( may used from a salvage yard ) and add the green house shade cloth to that. then somehow hook it up to a temp gauge or timer that at X temp or Y time it rolls it out then after X temp or Y time ( evening or when ever ) rolls it back up. + have an auto over ride just encase you want to view fish or do mid day maintenance you can adjust.. BOOM thank me later...haha

PS yeah do did something right with this build alright!

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!

Have you looked at blue shade cloth? Might help control the algae a little

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back