3,000 Gallon Indoor/Outdoor Aquarium DIY Build

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build and stunning Tank. I enjoy reading through the whole tread. About the ideas for a sun shade. Maybe you could go with those roller storm/hurricane panels they are motorized and came with different aesthetic looks to suit architectural integrity and won't be an eye sore. You can rolled down when needed by timers or manually even they can be integrated with house automation like alexa, Google ect. Its just another idea that came up that might help you. And also in winter you can place the insulation and roll down to secure in place.
rolling-904x348.jpg
DSC_0020-300x201.jpg
DSC_0016-300x236.jpg
3panel-movable-door-01.jpg
Exterior_Rolling_Shutters_3.jpg

OP
OP
TheWildWillauers

TheWildWillauers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an idea...not sure it 's a good one, but here it is none the less. get on of the fancy auto RV awning ( may used from a salvage yard ) and add the green house shade cloth to that. then somehow hook it up to a temp gauge or timer that at X temp or Y time it rolls it out then after X temp or Y time ( evening or when ever ) rolls it back up. + have an auto over ride just encase you want to view fish or do mid day maintenance you can adjust.. BOOM thank me later...haha

PS yeah do did something right with this build alright!

That's actually exactly what I have been picturing in my head! but somehow having it inside the building to "de-clutter" the outside. If I were able to do it inside, I would have to have a couple systems because I have lighting suspended from the rafters. I have thought about maybe even making several skinny ones that sit between the rafters. I haven't given it enough serious thought to really come up with a plan, but I need to get to the drawing board because I am tired of looking at these tarps lol

Have you looked at blue shade cloth? Might help control the algae a little

Hmm, I like it! I wonder if that would give the tank a more aesthetic color tone too? When the sun is directly above it can make the water seem very yellow.

Awesome build and stunning Tank. I enjoy reading through the whole tread. About the ideas for a sun shade. Maybe you could go with those roller storm/hurricane panels they are motorized and came with different aesthetic looks to suit architectural integrity and won't be an eye sore. You can rolled down when needed by timers or manually even they can be integrated with house automation like alexa, Google ect. Its just another idea that came up that might help you. And also in winter you can place the insulation and roll down to secure in place.

Thank you! Wow, now you really got be thinking! I love this idea, especially for the outdoor viewing panel. It would be great for in the winter, but also any time we aren't around, I could just leave it closed to throttle back algae growth on the panel. Now that I am thinking about it, and somewhat of a digression from the roller idea, but I wonder if I made shutters in between each rafter? Although when the shutters are open, there would still be a lot of material present, I wonder if it would block too much light even when open. This is why I love forums; a melting pot of ideas.

Right... since you are not growing coral - you could make your tank much easier to maintain with an automatic shading system!

Right! Right now I am working on some aluminum frames for the lighting and top netting to make things a little cleaner looking, but I really need to work on this idea as well. Speaking of coral, I often wonder how they would do in this tank, if not for all the angels and triggers lol

I wanted to comment on how awesome this setup is, but, I'm still under the effects of shock and awe.

Haha thank you! Hopefully it can inspire some ideas for everyone!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
-July 2019
RQuoLds.jpg

tWfE1aO.jpg

Around 9am to 3pm is the best time to view the tank, I just love seeing the fish under natural light. You can see the outside panel was really neglected at this time, these pictures were only a few days apart, the algae is my arch nemesis lol

WOW EPIC TANK!!

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheWildWillauers dude your tank is GORGEOUS. Have you tried doing coral or would that just be wayyyy to difficult to maintain. Either way it’s gorgeous. I am from Los Angeles but have family there in Detroit so I’m definitely going to hit u up when I’m in the area haha and hopefully you’ll be ok if we come take a look lol. I feel like you should make another one and then start charging admission lol. Anywho...beautiful tank and keep it up

killyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new member here, but I have been addicted to the hobby for 14 years now. Over the years my dad and I have built several tanks, the most notable a 600 gallon and 2000 gallon tank and have encountered many things that work and even more things that don't haha. A couple of years ago we were doing some major renovations to the backyard and we decided that an aquarium that can be viewed from both outside and inside would really take the yard to the next level. I have been meaning to create a build thread for some time now so I am finally going to put together a thread from the very start of the project to where it sits today.

I wont bury the lead any more, here are some recent pictures of the tank

-inside view
Lk0Bkx8.jpg

-outside view
stNF9lR.jpg

I also made a video that kind of takes you behind the scenes lol

The actual tank's dimensions are about 9 feet by 9 feet and about 54 inches deep

I am still scrounging up and attempting to get all the photos and details in chronological order of the build, but I will be posting shortly. Hopefully this build can inspire others to build even bigger and better tanks!

Hey guys, new member here, but I have been addicted to the hobby for 14 years now. Over the years my dad and I have built several tanks, the most notable a 600 gallon and 2000 gallon tank and have encountered many things that work and even more things that don't haha. A couple of years ago we were doing some major renovations to the backyard and we decided that an aquarium that can be viewed from both outside and inside would really take the yard to the next level. I have been meaning to create a build thread for some time now so I am finally going to put together a thread from the very start of the project to where it sits today.

-inside view
Lk0Bkx8.jpg

-outside view
stNF9lR.jpg

The actual tank's dimensions are about 9 feet by 9 feet and about 54 inches deep

I am still scrounging up and attempting to get all the photos and details in chronological order of the build, but I will be posting shortly. Hopefully this build can inspire others to build even bigger and better tanks!

WOW! that is fabulous and a real labour of love by the looks of it! Inspiring!

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you go into more detail how you made installed the acrylic windows.

JaviNap90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-inside view
Lk0Bkx8.jpg

-outside view
stNF9lR.jpg

That is just amazing!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back