3:00am I'm awoken by a loud bang from my aquarium, I literally feel out of the bed. I got problems...

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title implies my 55G sounded like a small gun shot, it certainly got my attention. I looked over at the aquarium and all seemed fine. I figured it had to be something so upon closer inspection the top center strap had broke off causing the aquarium to bow out out about an inch one both sides. Here it is 3:00am and I'm on the verge of a flood. Here's the kicker I had just bought a new 55G two days since Petco was running one of there 60% sales and was waiting on the stand which arrived yesterday. So I did have a solution to my problem, but now I'll probably go back and get another 55G or 75G because that was gonna be my new tank. I literally hate being half asleep putting a stand together, transferring all this crap over in the dead of night, I did notice the Aqueon tank center strap was more beefer and about twice as big. Lost 2 angelfish maybe more. I forgot to turn the air pump on so I woke up to fish gasping for air so far as I can see, the tank is still somewhat cloudy.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have the airstone you have time. I completely understand everything happens in the dead of night or at the most inconvenient time. Take your time, get the stand done right. The fish will be fine as long as they have some oxygen floating around. Ive never heard of an aqueon tank doing that, Im assuming you had a Top Fin 55, Quality is much much better in the aqueon tanks. Take some breaths, complete small tasks at a time and remember why youre doing all this. Youve got it, trust me. If you didnt care they would already be dead. Good Luck and we are here for you!

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really a bummer waking up to something like that. I can’t imagine a 55 gallon having that much pressure to bust the brace and bow out. The glass must be super thin.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“P.s. get the 75 for the next one ;)

I thought the rule was, you always doubled the size of the tank! :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back