3.7G Pico Parts List / Filtration Overview

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting this tank, which seems to be an AIO including a return pump:

I'm thinking that a Kessil A80 with mounting arm, maybe some kent nitrate sponge in the back compartments, and hopefully a small heater in the back could round out the system. I'd toss a chunk of live rock I already have in there, and fill it up with water from our existing system.

For such a small system, I may be looking at a smaller, less active goby. Otherwise, I'm thinking about stocking with an emerald crab, a couple of snails, and maybe a shrimp.

The hope is to fill the pico with frags cut from the DT.

I dont intend to do any mechanical filtration. Big, frequent water changes on a pico are easy enough that I would think the LR and nitrate sponge alone should keep nutrients in range with the small bioload. Maybe a little gfo, if needed.

All in, it seems like this build could be viable for less than $350.

Would I have any nasty surprises waiting for me going down this route?

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd strongly recommend an ATO or a clear plexiglass lid as a minimum to reduce evaporation. maintaining salinity levels are the hardest part on a pico/nano.

I have an A80 on my nuvo 10 and its a great light for smaller tanks. I have mine on a simple timer and the shimmer looks great, though I have debated on snagging the controller for the color ramp up and down. At that point though, I would have been better off with a prime16 HD.

You also might need a bit more flow. Im afraid that I cant make any pump upgrade recommendations but these tanks are pretty popular for pico reefs so I'm sure someone here has changed the pump out for a bit more flow.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd strongly recommend an ATO or a clear plexiglass lid as a minimum to reduce evaporation. maintaining salinity levels are the hardest part on a pico/nano.

I have an A80 on my nuvo 10 and its a great light for smaller tanks. I have mine on a simple timer and the shimmer looks great, though I have debated on snagging the controller for the color ramp up and down. At that point though, I would have been better off with a prime16 HD.

You also might need a bit more flow. Im afraid that I cant make any pump upgrade recommendations but these tanks are pretty popular for pico reefs so I'm sure someone here has changed the pump out for a bit more flow.

Tank seems to come with a lid.

Sicce makes a nano pump that would probably do the trick. Question is how to make the flow more random. 110gph in a 3 gallon tank is way more than enough.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank seems to come with a lid.

Sicce makes a nano pump that would probably do the trick. Question is how to make the flow more random. 110gph in a 3 gallon tank is way more than enough.

vivid aquatics makes an RFG for fluval tanks that i believe is 1/4" locline. That may work but I would measure the output on the tank and see if it would work. You might need to have someone 3d print an adapter from the output to the locline connection though

Saltyreefer93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank and I love it! I modified the rear chambers slightly to fit a 3D printed media basket (From top to bottom: floss, chemipure blue nano pack, marine pure gems). I run a heater in the second chamber, a Sicce Syncra nano return pump and a Tunze nano ATO in the last chamber. As for a light I have the Lumini Asta 20 and it’s good for the price but I will be upgrading to a Kessil A80 when I start adding coral. I will try to get a picture of the setup and post later on today or tomorrow. Best of luck and I can’t wait to see this tank build! ;Shamefullyembarrased

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the tank used in this video is the one you're looking at and they seem to have some great stocking in it. also really good inspiration for a pico

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger, but I opted for the marineland contour 3 instead.

Waiting on any pump upgrades. I want to see how the included pump fairs. So far it's very quiet and provides decent looking flow.

The back chamber has a weir at the top, and a vent towards the bottom. I dont know if I like this aspect or not. I will likely seal the bottom vent to get a true overflow style compartment. Hopefully I can run the water level a little lower in there to slightly reduce the risk of spills when I put my hands in the tank.

The included light is terrible, it went straight in the trash.

Here it is now. Sand is still settling. I dumped a whole bottle of bio spira in, and tossed a good few brine shrimp eggs into the magnetic hatchery. Going to see how the in tank hatchery works out. If it works as advertised, I may think about doing some dwarf seahorses.

Need to figure out how to get the kessil closer to the water line. Right now, its much too high for such a small tank. Perhaps I'll upgrade to an A160 to get a stronger, more focused beam.

20200517_170116.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back