3 biggest mistakes you've made in this hobby

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mounting my dosing bottles too high trusting the peristaltic pump to not leak. leaked an entire bottle of Calcium

mounting an in-stand LED light trusting sticky back Velcro to hold it. Velcro sticky back gave way, LED sitting in sump with half dissolved AAA batteries.

^^^ happened on the same day :mad:;Vomit

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mounting my dosing bottles too high trusting the peristaltic pump to not leak. leaked an entire bottle of Calcium

mounting an in-stand LED light trusting sticky back Velcro to hold it. Velcro sticky back gave way, LED sitting in sump with half dissolved AAA batteries.

^^^ happened on the same day :mad:;Vomit
Why doesnt velcro work on tank led lighting? I had the same issue. I stuck my kessil to the back glass of my refugium chamber. Got tired of picking it up off floor. Guessing heat melted glue on velcro tabs. Live and learn.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. starting with the wrong tank (too small)
2. letting my wife overstock the tank (fish only tank)
3. letting my wife talk me into buying bigger tanks (started with 55, moved to 75 and now have a 150 i am moving into)

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why doesnt velcro work on tank led lighting? I had the same issue. I stuck my kessil to the back glass of my refugium chamber. Got tired of picking it up off floor. Guessing heat melted glue on velcro tabs. Live and learn.

mine was a small battery powered LED that I stuck to the inside of my stand. I guess the surface of the stand doesn't lend well to tape sticking to it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a no name brand heater online for my pico years ago and it stopped working in January but I didn’t know. Come feb and my system is bleaching/ 68 degrees for six weeks continual but I didn’t test temps to know during the time, thought the lfs of selling me crappy water but it was my fault

Bought a tetra preset, feed and water changes brought it back. I’m also possibly guilty of hating on kessil during the event 1. Used no name heater 2 not testing temp regularly 3 assumed bad water was causing it wo testing

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
58EC7009-8447-4592-8D93-188DCC452A06.jpeg

1: buying things with the thought oh I’ll just upgrade later not realizing that I’ve just spent twice the money needed vs just waiting a week or so to get what I needed.
2: It took me 10 of my 25 years in this hobby to slow down. Nothing good in this hobby happens fast. Hence the above picture is my 240 and 600 build that has been in the works for 7 months.
3: listen and hear what people are telling you, but still research on your own. There’s thousands of ways to cook the perfect steak but no one does it the same, so why not with your tank.

Thank you for sharing! I love the steak quote in #3! Lovely tank btw!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Buying stupid expensive live stock just to have them get ick and other stuff because I didn’t QT.
2. Convincing myself I can do this right and only buy once.. $$$
3. Running a marine system while I was on active duty in the military. Nothing like getting deployed short notice and having to abandon your entire tank full of livestock. Oh and I would have had a friend watch it, but they all were deploying too. YIKES.. took all my live stock to the fishstore and donated them.

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. moving faster than I should. (still have this problem)
2. not dipping my corals
3. not buying from reputable sources because they were cheap.(cheap is relative of course when you lose unhealthy animals)

I've started becoming really picky on the fish I buy, I've noticed cheap ones tend to come from countries where cyanide fishing is still a source for catching aquarium fish

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* FOMO (fear of missing out) - buying something that was on sale or at the time perceived as a once in a life time opportunity - coral/frag/fish. Then the same or better appears next week.

* Same as above - bought a large Acrylic Tank (rare in Aus) shipped from other side of the country at $500+ only to find it was 'stained' yellow and couldn't be buffed out.

* Letting GHA grab hold and grow which required a complete tank rebuild to solve after months of fighting

Did the same thing with a Xlarge powder blue tang... Got it for $50, he was in QT when I bought him and next thing you know my tank crashed

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Buying stupid expensive live stock just to have them get ick and other stuff because I didn’t QT.
2. Convincing myself I can do this right and only buy once.. $$$
3. Running a marine system while I was on active duty in the military. Nothing like getting deployed short notice and having to abandon your entire tank full of livestock. Oh and I would have had a friend watch it, but they all were deploying too. YIKES.. took all my live stock to the fishstore and donated them.

That's rough.. Well first, thank you for your service, and second.. I am so guilty of buying stupidly expensive stuff and having it die too.. One time I bought 3 blue hippo tangs as a trio and didn't QT them... Biggest mistake ever

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back