• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Reglar Cheato & Clean Cheato

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little more than 3 cups of cheato if anyone is interested for $15 shipped. Shipping will be via USPS first class and I would prefer to ship out early in the week to avoid weekend delays. I'm currently setting up a clean cheato grow out tank, so while this cheato was previously dipped and has been QTed for a month, it has not gone the full 72 days of QT yet and I wouldn't feel comfortable labeling it as "clean cheato".

Edit: All batches sold.
Edit: One batch of regular cheato available if anyone is interested. $15 shipped. Clean Cheato Listed at the bottom of this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
andrewey

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks- I'll see if I can't grab some photos. This has mostly been a Covid project for me to make my own clean cheato and I doubt I'll keep it running long term. I simply wanted to play around and see what procedures/dips would eliminate pests from the cheato without harming the actual plant.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks- I'll see if I can't grab some photos. This has mostly been a Covid project for me to make my own clean cheato and I doubt I'll keep it running long term. I simply wanted to play around and see what procedures/dips would eliminate pests from the cheato without harming the actual plant.
Mad scientist! I like it. I would love to see this and how it could be done!!!!

OP
OP
andrewey

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bsr2430 - once I finish construction on the larger grow out vat, I'll post a picture! In the meantime, here's a photo from early on when I first started growing the clean cheato. I decided to start four cultures to have redundancy in case one culture became contaminated. In addition to a lengthy series of dips, treatments, and QT to try and remove any other organisms, I decided to grow out each culture from a single 1cm strand to minimize possible hitchhikers (and it makes it easier to scan with the microscope to confirm the dips were effective). Obviously it takes a while to grow from such a small fragment, so I simply used some 2 gallon rubbermaid containers I had on hand.
IMG_20200523_152904.jpg

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freaking love this!!!!
You must keep me up to date on this, I’m sure many will buy from you with being 100% pest free.
Once again, I love this!
Such a great idea!

OP
OP
andrewey

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I probably won't sell too much of this stuff- I'm purposelessly going to grow it "small batch" so I can keep running tests on it- I figure most people can buy from the handful of trustworthy vendors already selling clean cheato.

I was mostly curious as to what would be necessary to effectively clean cheato- there doesn't seem to be a consensus and from what I've read, many seem to just "wing it" and do a series of dips on the cheato and hope for the best. I had access to different samples of some pests, so I was more curious to figure out what would actually be efficacious in case future hobbyists wanted to do this at home. Once I'm finished playing around, I'll probably do a write up so the information is publicly available.

OP
OP
andrewey

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be trimming some of my clean cheato I've been using for experiments as it's overgrowing the current containers. If anyone is looking for some clean cheato, feel free to shoot me a message. Asking $20 shipped for a tennis ball size (1/8th lb).

Unfortunately, I won't be able to harvest until after June 21st to ensure a full 72 days in QT for all specimens. As described above, the cheato was grown from a 1cm fragment which was treated and dipped before being grown out in separate dedicated containers.

I also have regular cheato available if someone is looking for cheato with pods/sponges, however this is clearly not clean cheato.

OP
OP
andrewey

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this!
How’s the setup going?
Unfortunately I had to shut down the clean cheato vats and sell off the remaining clean cheato as I didn't have enough time to keep the experiments running. Hopefully, once Covid/flu season settle down and I have more free time, I'll restart the project.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back