3 Fish that do a job in my tank.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 fish in my 100 gallon that are there not just because I like them and they fit in with my other fish, they're also there to do a job each.
1/ Black leopard wrasse. To eat any possible coral eating bugs.
2/ A Copperband butterfly. To eat any Aiptasia's that get into the tank.
3/ A Mimic tang. To browse on any algae that pops up in the tank.

I don't see any of the 3 things I want to keep at bay in my tank.

I also have a couple of chalk gobbies that help stir the top layers of my sand.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added some damsels that are supposed to eat flatworms (they also cause memory loss? as I can't remember what they are)

How does the black leopard wrasse interact with other fishes and corals, clams(?) in your tank? I might like to find one if it's a good community member?

I was given a rescue/sick Copperband Aiptasia Eliminator and that fish made me smile because it lived and thrived and destroyed the enemy!

I've just rescued a Naso from Petco. They had it mispriced and I've always wanted one, it's keeping the weeds trimmed nicely, slowly gaining weight and I should be with me a long time.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added some damsels that are supposed to eat flatworms (they also cause memory loss? as I can't remember what they are)

How does the black leopard wrasse interact with other fishes and corals, clams(?) in your tank? I might like to find one if it's a good community member?

I was given a rescue/sick Copperband Aiptasia Eliminator and that fish made me smile because it lived and thrived and destroyed the enemy!

I've just rescued a Naso from Petco. They had it mispriced and I've always wanted one, it's keeping the weeds trimmed nicely, slowly gaining weight and I should be with me a long time.
I don't have a clam but can't see a problem if I did with my black leopard wrasse. It bothers no other fish and no other fish bothers it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a clam but can't see a problem if I did with my black leopard wrasse. It bothers no other fish and no other fish bothers it.
Excellent. I have been considering picking up a clean up fish crew member, so now I'll have to be on the look out for a BLW! Thanks
Kris

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having utilitarian fish in the tank is as important as having a good diverse cleaner crew too

One you guys didn't mention that I have is a blue streak cleaner wrasse. He is constantly cleaning the fish of dead scales and parasites.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Springieri damsel?

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be faster if I listed the fish that don’t have “a job” but…
File fish- took a while to turn on but once it did, the Aiptasia quickly disappeared.
Lawnmower blenny is the best algae eater. My Gem, Sail fin and Tomini tangs are mostly worthless
Fairy wrasses take care of multiple bugs and worms.
Diamond goby does a great job at keeping the sand clean
Blue streak cleaner wrasse and skunk shrimp for cleaning the fish up.
brittlestar makes sure that NOTHING gets left behind on the sand bed.
I also keep a string cleanup crew, including Pods, which likely are the best algae eaters in the tank.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 fish in my 100 gallon that are there not just because I like them and they fit in with my other fish, they're also there to do a job each.
1/ Black leopard wrasse. To eat any possible coral eating bugs.
2/ A Copperband butterfly. To eat any Aiptasia's that get into the tank.
3/ A Mimic tang. To browse on any algae that pops up in the tank.

I don't see any of the 3 things I want to keep at bay in my tank.

I also have a couple of chalk gobbies that help stir the top layers of my sand.
Would you happen to know of a good fish for a 75G display that likes algae like sea lettuce? I've been looking and it seems like my only option may be a dwarf angel.

Also, what do you think of getting a long nose hawkfish or wrasse for possible ciral eating bugs, IF i want to keeo a sustainable pod population for a mandarin I already have?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you happen to know of a good fish for a 75G display that likes algae like sea lettuce? I've been looking and it seems like my only option may be a dwarf angel.

Also, what do you think of getting a long nose hawkfish or wrasse for possible ciral eating bugs, IF i want to keeo a sustainable pod population for a mandarin I already have?
Tuff one do you know which ulva you have?if it's ulva intestinalis then consider a small mimic tang.the mimic is the smallest of the tangs and grows very slowly. You should be fine with it for a number if years before you may need to move it on.

A wrasse will decimate the pods and you will need to get a mandarin onto frozen foods, some get them to accept small pellets and even flake. I have no experience with long nose hawkfish so can't advise on them from experience.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini tang and a Coral Beauty angelfish to pick stray algae and detritus, a neon cleaner goby to clean fish of parasites and a yellow watchman goby to sift the sand although my cucumber is much more effective at cleaning the sand than the YWG. He just looks adorable grumpy, LOL.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuff one do you know which ulva you have?if it's ulva intestinalis then consider a small mimic tang.the mimic is the smallest of the tangs and grows very slowly. You should be fine with it for a number if years before you may need to move it on.

A wrasse will decimate the pods and you will need to get a mandarin onto frozen foods, some get them to accept small pellets and even flake. I have no experience with long nose hawkfish so can't advise on them from experience.
Ulva Rotundata

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leopard wrasses for keeping the bugs out, neon gobies for cleaning parasites, 1 springeri damselfish for flatworms. The rest are all freeloaders

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back