3 gal Pico tank stock

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is actually for a friend, but since I will be supervising the tank until they get more skill I'm doing my own research. Got a friend whose got a 3 gallon tank with a betta and we talked about her converting it to salt water and me giving her a problematic peppermint shrimp. For stocking I was thinking also adding a nessarius snail and an astrea snail for clean up and also do add things to look at. Anyone have opinions on this? I know it's a small set up and I'm a little worried about the pep going after the snails.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints are not predatory shrimps and are more scavengers on things that are dead or dying so I would worry about that. However the salinity fluctuations of a small tank would worry me with shrimp

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know and she knows. I told her she's going to have to check/top off daily to keep it stable.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints are not predatory shrimps and are more scavengers on things that are dead or dying so I would worry about that. However the salinity fluctuations of a small tank would worry me with shrimp
This one I'm getting rid of because I watched it eat a brand new hammer, and also since adding my 3 peppermints to my 75 I've noticed something has taken a nip off the dorsal fin of my firefish bit haven't SEEN any of the shrimp go after the fish so maybe I'm biased.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one I'm getting rid of because I watched it eat a brand new hammer, and also since adding my 3 peppermints to my 75 I've noticed something has taken a nip off the dorsal fin of my firefish bit haven't SEEN any of the shrimp go after the fish so maybe I'm biased.

Interesting little oddball shrimp haha

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting little oddball shrimp haha
Yeah it wasn't until after this happened that I found other people talking on forums about how they have the occasional pep cause issues. Then the guy at my LFS told me he'd only recommend 2 for a 75 with everything else I have in there

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back