3 months in - rate and criticise my tank!

Brinley123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Ive been researching and soaking up the immense array of knowledge on this forum for probably the last year. Please can you let me know how I am getting with my tank, it's of course full cycled, coral and fish/CUC quarantined/dipped/acclimatised!

I know Ive added alot of coral but ive fallen in love with the whole hobby and in particular coral and its colours. Its a red sea max nano, with quite a weight of love rock which had tonnes of GSP and a few Yumas come across with it. Still seeing a bit of algae growth but no major concerns.

Any feedback you have would be great, coral placement i cant seem to get right and Id love to add an anenome in the very diatant future.

Parameters are:
1.025 salinity
Around 10 ppm nitrates
440 calcium
8.2 Kh
Temp 26c
0 phosphates (this has me confused but always been 0!)
Ammonia and nitrites 0

16300858769395927410316309152189.jpg
1630085896784445465473342784.jpg
1630085924364554064720194372349.jpg
16300859539178659014696899129682.jpg

OP
OP
Brinley123

Brinley123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks way too small. I think you need a bigger tank. ;)
If I get a bigger tank, I'll have to get a new misses. This 75 litre and the attention it demands from me is undoubtable already pushing her to the limit

But in all seriousness, what do you think I could do to improve or even add to the tank given the size it is now?

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get a bigger tank, I'll have to get a new misses. This 75 litre and the attention it demands from me is undoubtable already pushing her to the limit

But in all seriousness, what do you think I could do to improve or even add to the tank given the size it is now?

It looks great for only being 3 months old. Did you skip the ugly phase? That coral on the left side spread that quickly in only 3 months?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

If you’re having to lift the screen off every time you want to feed, or are getting it messy by dropping food through the top, you can get an inexpensive feeding port from bulk reef supply. :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What phosphate test kit do you use?

I would reconsider the location of the zoa next to sps as they like vastly different flow and light. Coral placement is something you often figure out with time.

Other than that, looks good!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and maybe you using api phosphates test kit so cant distinguish between 0-1 or your algae eating it up who knows.
Your tank looks great but i seen one major flaw with it..........

That algae magnet facing vertical so your fish cant rest on it ha ha.only pulling your who knows what looking good

OP
OP
Brinley123

Brinley123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great for only being 3 months old. Did you skip the ugly phase? That coral on the left side spread that quickly in only 3 months?
Havent had too much of an ugly phase but definitely had one in a fashion, kept up on vacuuming and scrub the live rock with large water changes! The live rock came with alot of the GSP on there but it has definetely spread! Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually that GSP will cover everything.

OP
OP
Brinley123

Brinley123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and maybe you using api phosphates test kit so cant distinguish between 0-1 or your algae eating it up who knows.

That algae magnet facing vertical so your fish cant rest on it ha ha.only pulling your who knows what looking good

I would reconsider the location of the zoa next to sps as they like vastly different flow and light. Coral placement is something you often figure out with time.

That algae magnet facing vertical so your fish cant rest on it ha ha.only pulling your who knows what looking go

Api, ive also used columbo but im guessing i need a more accurate one? Just checking which zoa are you on about, one in the top right? Thanks for the help!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api, ive also used columbo but im guessing i need a more accurate one? Just checking which zoa are you on about, one in the top right? Thanks for the help!

Top right yup! And for phosphate, consider one that can read between 0.1 and 0.00 (and one you can tell the colors between or just get a hanna one).

OP
OP
Brinley123

Brinley123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also need to figure out how to quote properly too by the looks of it! Thanks for all the help though, any more pointers would really help.

Looking to trim back the gsp at some point soon as I much prefer the other corals to the GSP

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back