3 New WaveEngine Videos!

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Love the videos and the breakdown/breakout of separate vids explaining the different connections. Definitely has me looking to run this w/some Reef Octopus equipment here in the near future. Assuming there will be similar videos for the HYDROS Control 4 in the future and how they can be used together (setting up in app/groups/triggers/etc...)?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Love the videos and the breakdown/breakout of separate vids explaining the different connections. Definitely has me looking to run this w/some Reef Octopus equipment here in the near future. Assuming there will be similar videos for the HYDROS Control 4 in the future and how they can be used together (setting up in app/groups/triggers/etc...)?
Thank you for your kind words! We have lots of HYDROS products coming out and we plan to make videos about all of them. We're also trying to include as much information as possible in our support / getting started section: https://www.coralvuehydros.com/product-support/

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

View Badges
Reaction score
Happen to know off hand if the new Red Sea Reefwave is/will be compatible with the Wave Engine?
We are in discussions with them to make it so. The rep we spoke with didn't seem to fear any conflict of interest. So we'll see what happens! We were hoping to get a look at the connections on their pumps before the end of last month, but it appears they'll be launching them soon, so hopefully, we'll able to resume those discussions this month.

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
We are in discussions with them to make it so. The rep we spoke with didn't seem to fear any conflict of interest. So we'll see what happens! We were hoping to get a look at the connections on their pumps before the end of last month, but it appears they'll be launching them soon, so hopefully, we'll able to resume those discussions this month.
Awesome and thank you for the quick turn/info!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right. I have a RO Varios6 which will not allow me to have a direct connect connection. So, I have to use a 0-10v adaptor. I plug that into the controller that comes with the Varios 6 and from there connect that to the hydros 0-10v port. So, in this scenario I still have to have the Varios 6 controller as a slave to the hydro waveenginer. Does the waveengine power the Varios 6 return pump or do I still have to power it with the power brick that comes with the Varios 6 return pump?

Last edited:
OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

View Badges
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right. I have a RO Varios6 which will not allow me to have a direct connect connection. So, I have to use a 0-10v adaptor. I plug that into the controller that comes with the Varios 6 and from there connect that to the hydros 0-10v port. So, in this scenario I still have to have the Varios 6 controller as a slave to the hydro waveenginer. Does the waveengine power the Varios 6 return pump or do I still have to power it with the power brick that comes with the Varios 6 return pump?
Right, so the VarioS-6 is not Direct Drive compatible with the WaveEngine. So the WaveEngine cannot power it. You wouldn't be able to get rid of the pump's physical controller or power supply. You could connect it via 0-10V as you stated.

Alternatively, you could use the Control 4 to control your VarioS-6 with 0-10V. I don't recall what other uses you were going to use the WaveEngine for in terms of pump control, but Control 4 would be another device you could use to control that VarioS-6 pump. You wouldn't get all of the flow preset functionality that you do with a WaveEngine, but you could plot out a flow pattern. I imagine for a return pump, you're not going to have it doing anything terribly complex.

Should you decide to get both a WaveEngine and a Control 2 or Control 4, the WaveEngine can power the controller.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Right, so the VarioS-6 is not Direct Drive compatible with the WaveEngine. So the WaveEngine cannot power it. You wouldn't be able to get rid of the pump's physical controller or power supply. You could connect it via 0-10V as you stated.

Alternatively, you could use the Control 4 to control your VarioS-6 with 0-10V. I don't recall what other uses you were going to use the WaveEngine for in terms of pump control, but Control 4 would be another device you could use to control that VarioS-6 pump. You wouldn't get all of the flow preset functionality that you do with a WaveEngine, but you could plot out a flow pattern. I imagine for a return pump, you're not going to have it doing anything terribly complex.

Should you decide to get both a WaveEngine and a Control 2 or Control 4, the WaveEngine can power the controller.
thanks, Jeff. I have a 75G DT on order which in reality is a 65G DT without accounting for rock and sand. I currently use the RO octopulse 2 with the Varios2. I'm adding a octopulse 2 and hoping i can get by with a Varios4 return pump so I can use the WaveEngine to control and power the 2 powerheads along with the return pump. I could get rid of 3 controllers and power bricks for 1 with the WaveEngine. I'm going to get a few opinions whether i can get by with the Varios 4.

yan2pr

I grow GHA better than anything else
View Badges
Reaction score
thanks, Jeff. I have a 75G DT on order which in reality is a 65G DT without accounting for rock and sand. I currently use the RO octopulse 2 with the Varios2. I'm adding a octopulse 2 and hoping i can get by with a Varios4 return pump so I can use the WaveEngine to control and power the 2 powerheads along with the return pump. I could get rid of 3 controllers and power bricks for 1 with the WaveEngine. I'm going to get a few opinions whether i can get by with the Varios 4.
I received my waveengine yesterday and it is amazing. I am currently running 2- Octo pulse 2 and a varios 4. Believe me it is so much better with all those controllers and power bricks. Hopefully you get to resolve your issue. By the way my tank is 75G display minus rock and stuff it should be around 65 also and im using a varios 4 at 65%, runs like a champ.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I received my waveengine yesterday and it is amazing. I am currently running 2- Octo pulse 2 and a varios 4. Believe me it is so much better with all those controllers and power bricks. Hopefully you get to resolve your issue. By the way my tank is 75G display minus rock and stuff it should be around 65 also and im using a varios 4 at 65%, runs like a champ.
thanks, that's encouraging. It really makes the waveengine valuable if you can get rid of 3 controllers and bricks. Not to mention the controllability and notices via email.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

View Badges
Reaction score
Our plans are similar. I'm going to use the WaveEngine to power and control 2 x 2K Gyres and a VarioS-2 on my next tank. I am running the Gyres in my current tank. I've got the new return pump and the new tank, it's just been slow getting going as the whole family's been sick recently. The stand is all that's done so far.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

View Badges
Reaction score
That's wonderful to hear! Got a picture you can share of your WaveEngine or the HYDROS app? ;Woot

yan2pr

I grow GHA better than anything else
View Badges
Reaction score
Capture+_2020-02-06-17-28-13.png
20200205_214855.jpg

Cable management is still a work in progress but, it really helps not having to deal with 3 separate controllers and power bricks. The pumps i have them in sine wave one ramping up and one down, it was a coincidence that both were at the same speed when i took the screen shot. The return pump i have it in a separate group at constant speed all day.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

View Badges
Reaction score
I saw that i can connect the hydros to apex but i didnt go to deep into it, what are the benefits of doing so and what do i need to connect it to the apex?
The benefit is you use Apex Fusion to trigger feed, water change, and other modes on the WaveEngine. Flow settings and schedules are still done in the HYDROS app.

To connect to the Apex, you just need this cable:

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

View Badges
Reaction score
Capture+_2020-02-06-17-28-13.png
20200205_214855.jpg

Cable management is still a work in progress but, it really helps not having to deal with 3 separate controllers and power bricks. The pumps i have them in sine wave one ramping up and one down, it was a coincidence that both were at the same speed when i took the screen shot. The return pump i have it in a separate group at constant speed all day.
Looks awesome, thank you for sharing!

When you feed your fish do you feel like your feeding the algae as well?

• Yes I feel I'm feeding too much

Votes: 110 30.4%
  • Yes but not much

Votes: 139 38.4%
  • No

Votes: 104 28.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors