OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I made a hybrid, used a tek 8 bulb, gutted the middle 4, added the radions (gen2 pro and gen 3 pro) cut the reflectors so I had 2 bulb setups and then sorced ati balast.

Been very happy so far, I wanted an ati but the software is weak (pc only) and the price is too much for my blood. I got the tek for 100 with a toasted balast and had a radion. Add another radion along with bulbs I was under a grand, I had the legs from a 6 bulb tek I got for 150 and used initially. Much more acceptable than the 2500 albeit it is a sexy fixture.

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for the last few weeks my phosphates have consistently been 0.1 - 0.15, coming from 0.06-0.08. This is coming from the added fish in the last few months and the growth of the current residents. My nitrates stay at 2.5, if I increase my carbon dosing my nitrates can go down to near 0, but the phosphates will not budge. Also my acropora have been looking too dark and brown for my liking and some patches of cyano have been appearing. I tried increasing my chaeto to 24 hr and have not seen any benefits of lower phosphates so far. I haven't run GFO in years on a tank but I think I reached that point, just ordered some BRS gfo and going to start running half the recommended amount and seeing how my tank is effected.

Has anyone have experience adding GFO to a year old system?

Also I am struggling to keep my temps down, I have a sicce silent 3.5 or 4.0 (i forget), been eying up a vectra to help reduce the heat and increase the flow in my sump, anyone make a jump to DC and see a benefits of lower temps? In addition I want to install a ceiling fan above my tank since the current room fixture is ugly

Untitled by J Bolton, on Flickr

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This collection looks fantastic
27561031671_b95a0ec53d_k.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good man. All those wrasses make me giddy.lol
Thanks they are my favorite part!

So I pre gfo my phosphates are 0.16 , I added 200 mL (2/3 the recommndend) and 24hrs later I am at 0.15. Albeit I feed all my coral heavy on Saturday in preparation for my 10 gal water change, but I was hoping I saw an improvement. All these fish added a lot of nutrients and I need to get my butt back in gear with my 120 (stand).

I am going to test tomorrow and if they are still greater than 0.1 I'm thinking my gfo is already toast, any opinions on this or additional ideas?

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test PO4 again, I was at 0.03 so the GFO is doing its job, the cyano began to recede and I've noticed a few SPS lightening up so I am on point.

Here are a few shots "under the hood"

I desperately need to organize this but also wonder if its a futile effort and just wait till I setup the 120?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Nice start on the stand? What kind of 120 are you going with (who makes it?)? Your 90 looks wonderful! Following along.

How's your temp, salinity, PH, and Alk? Oh and phosphates?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The standard stuff is ok, 1.026 8.2 alk po4 0.02 used to be 0.1 before GFO, I feed heavy and lots of fish.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a controller, ph is normal 7.9 8.3 temp is 77-80 (its been hot recently)
Hmmm, all your parameters look great. Not bleaching from temp, for sure. Phosphates are pretty good, what are your nitrates? Any other corals being affected? Is that piece in a shadow from the big piece above it?

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is magical ... how does that torch and rbta survive being so close together? Also, how do you keep an mp40 (or is it a 10?) so close to the waters surface? Next your gonna tell me you have all those amazing wrasses with no screen top ...

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is magical ... how does that torch and rbta survive being so close together? Also, how do you keep an mp40 (or is it a 10?) so close to the waters surface? Next your gonna tell me you have all those amazing wrasses with no screen top ...

I haven't had any problems with the nem and torch though occasionally they are touching and stuck together, also no problems with the mp40, I keep it under 60%. Unfortunately I do have a screen on my tank I would hate to lose my wrasse!

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool shots of the transition, hope mine stays female.

Thanks! I have two females already in addition to him, anecdotally I started using Selcon two weeks ago with my PE mysis. This wrasse has always been much larger than the other females (over a year), not sure if my late melagris male prevented him from changing and or the nutrients in selcon had anything to do with it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back