3 year old SPS Dominant thriving reef tank starting to crash after Bachelor party

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so i'll try to keep the story as short as possible, but I need feedback to help minimize losses.

So, what everyone says is true, your reef tank will find the worst possible time to develop a problem.

This is a reef tank I started about 3 years ago, Ive had a lot of success with it, tons of SPS colonies grown from 1" frags, no major problems, at least nothing major. The worst part about all this is the problem reared its head when I got home from my bachelor party, and the following weekend after, Im getting married. For the folks on here that have had a 'big' wedding, youd know how busy the week leading up can be. ANYWAY. So i get home on a sunday evening (I had been gone for 3 previous days), I go and check on my tank and I look in the sump and my skimmer is going nuts. I ask my now wife how long the skimmer had been overflowing and she said she hadnt noticed it was. All the polyps on all the corals in the tank are either retracted, or partially retracted. I added some carbon to a reactor and let it run. I checked all my levels, and theyre normal. This has been the case for over a week, everything retracted, though sometimes the LPS corals open up a bit, and then close back partially. Some SPS has started to STN, others are faded and losing color. I have a WWC yellow tips, that is completely white, with purpleish tips, and partial blue polyps sticking out. Ive done a LARGE water change, over 50% of the water, I waited a week, and will be doing another one.

Heres are my levels:
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
PO4:0
Alk: 8.1
Calc: 450
Mag:1350

So I have some possible ideas as to what has caused this problem, Im looking for some feedback to maybe confirm, or maybe some other ideas as to what could have cause this.

1. Ive been dosing KNO3 over the past month or so to maintain nitrates at around 2-3ppm (its as zero now bc I stopped dosing). I havent dosed PO4 at all, and Im wondering if my phosphates bottomed out at some point and my corals have suffered over time bc of it.
2. The KNO3 Ive been dosing is from the Spectracide stump remover, this stuff obviously isnt pharmaceutical grade KNO3 and Ive never really seen anyone post about using this stuff over an extended period of time and Im wondering if some foreign element is in my tank now causing problem (hence the skimmer going nuts?)
3. Another kind of foreign substance made it in the tank at some point. After all, the first thing I noticed was the skimmer going absolutely crazy. it wouldnt do that bc of a PO4 deficiency would it?
4. A couple months ago, I changed my sump light out to the Kessil H380. Over the last month or so, its grown hair algae and chaeto like mad in my sump. Tons of it. Even though Ive been dosing nitrate, Im wondering if the sump has been causing a nutrient deficiency in the display tank.
5. A combination of #1 and #4

Im kind of kicking myself for making the changes I made, my tank was great before I decided to dose nitrate, I could just never get the color purple to show well, so I tried this for a little color enhancement. The stump remover was even a worse idea, I should of just bought a product made for aquariums. I also always had my sump lit up with a homedepot light, I dont know why I decided to change a good thing. Especially since Ive noticed that BRS is pulling the H380 off their trial tanks.

Then again, it could be none of these things and something made it in the tank somewhere, whether it be off my hand or some other object.

For right now Im making everything the way it was before. Im going back to the home depot light, and Im not dosing nitrate anymore. Since all of this, it kind of looks like the color is coming back on some corals, but it could absolutely just be my imagination

Sorry, I know that was a long post. Any ideas? Thoughts?........and no, my wife did not sabotage my reef tank, she loves the tank almost as much as I do.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this would have beer in the story... seriously, sorry to hear about the problems. I’ve learned the hard way, if it ain’t broken... Despite what people feel, I think there is a bit of luck to this and a ton of hard work... The sad thing about sps, it only takes one incident..

Ghost463

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!! Hope ur wedding was everything ur wife expected!! Lol. Honestly Congrats!

After reading about the chems u used only thing i could recomend is water changes. Try and cycle out the chems if u feel they are at fault. I tend to avoid stuffs like that. Good luck! With life and the tank!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Congrats on the wedding. On the light, kill the reds. It is a proven algae grower and makes a great chaeto light. Continue small water changes and likely climbing phosphates.

hd-image-for-wedding-wishes-2017.jpg

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the wedding. On the light, kill the reds. It is a proven algae grower and makes a great chaeto light. Continue small water changes and likely climbing phosphates.

Thanks for your thoughts

I’m wondering why you think algae is the problem? I have no nuisance algae in the display. If anything my fuge has been too effective at nutrient export which is why I’ve downgraded the light

I have Kessil A360WE’s, you can’t control the reds on them. They’ve worked beautifully over the past few years, I don’t think they’re part of the problem. I already have a red sump light, as well

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts

I’m wondering why you think algae is the problem? I have no nuisance algae in the display. If anything my fuge has been too effective at nutrient export which is why I’ve downgraded the light

I have Kessil A360WE’s, you can’t control the reds on them. They’ve worked beautifully over the past few years, I don’t think they’re part of the problem. I already have a red sump light, as well

I assumed the H80 was on the display tank. I have Kessil AP700s now but when I had the A360s, I had the white down low and the blues at 20%. If I went higher, I had SPS with little to no polyp extension and the Zoas were open 50% of the time. As soon as I made the light change and reduce flow a little, everything returned to normal. In turn, after using them only 20%, I went with the AP700 allowing me to fine tune the colors via APP.

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so Im happy to say that the tank has rebounded very nicely. after a few 50% water changes everything has bounced back.

oddly enough I have had a package of red slime remover for about a year and half and have never used it for fear of screwing up my tank. Since Im past that point already I decided to say screw it and added it into my tank 48hrs before my last 50% water change and it eliminated my small red slime/cyano problem that ive had for months.

So the tank is back to where it was before, all the corals look great or are on their way back to looking great.

I have one question though, I have a Hawkins Enchinata and a PC rainbow that have a couple parts that have bleached and loss all their tissue. Just a couple small sections of the coral. If the rest of the coral is still alive, and in some case half the branch still has live colored up tissue, will new tissue eventually encrust over the dead areas? Or should I try my best to remove all of the dead areas?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im not suggesting anything is diseased but I would removed the dead spots of enchinata and rainbow to assure full health.
Great news on the rebound

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.......and no, my wife did not sabotage my reef tank, she loves the tank almost as much as I do.
Dang, there goes that theory.
I also was expecting to hear that someone dumped booze in the tank during the party.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the Nuptials!

2 things:

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. You were pleased with how the tank was looking, but you tried to make it better. Please find comfort in that many of us (myself included) have made that mistake. It usually takes making the mistake to learn the lesson. ;)

Try not to rely on the "magic bullet" in the form of tank additives. If you have a nitrate issue, identify the cause and correct.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back