3 years of struggle fixed in 4 months !

BWV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch ! Your post bring back bad memories to me. (Does that sentence make sens ?)
I remember having to wait all that time to put back the fish in the tank + I was seeing them die one after the other from ich in the quarantine tank :(
At least you are past that point with the fish back in tank !

I hope yours take less than 3 years like me to get on track !
Brown hairy stuff does not sound like too hard to eradicate but I may be wrong.

I don't want to turn this thread into nitrate/phosphate talk but I just noticed from my graphics that the tank turned on the right way when nitrate started reading 0 and phosphate detectable.....

I am curious what reading on nitrate and phosphate you get after that fallow period ?

From the graphics I started at 0/0 then a little of both then 0 nitrate and little phosphate. The later seem to work for me but I guess all tank may be different
Thanks!
I'm at the below with chemistry right now.
(I realize my Nitrates are high... I was keeping the tank "dirty" to keep the dinos away)
1640383408315.png

I was looking at your "over time" graphs... thanks for including those!!! Great info

You might want to try purple non sulphur bacteria and it’s yellow companion bacteria as well as adding pods to help with the brown hair algea - check it out at “Algea Barn” - I have and still use it but anecdotal observations have been positive.best of luck
I just added some pods and phyto on the 11th, I also use Fuel (1ml /10 gal once a week, not to overdoo it), and reef roids (1/16 tsp direct fed once a week)
I've backed off on the fuel and roids 'til this clears up a little.
Got the scope out to peek, and this is the 2 kinds of hairy stuff:
(haven't Id'd it yet... and no need for pics of the cyano, I recognize that... )
Hairy stuff type 1 (grads are 0.1 mm)
1640384711107.png

Hairy stuff 2
1640384780365.png

I'm thinkin' maybe no dinos, might just be red or brown hair algae.
The bubbles made me think it... but after some reading, might just be the red hairy

*Edit... I do have some RhodoFeast, which I just read is Rhodopseudomonas palustris.. a purple non-sulfur bacterium.
I'll drop some of that in there :)

My understanding is that the Yellow you mention is pasteurized (intentionally killed) PNSB.
I could probably nuke some of this in the microwave to kill it, then introduce... dunno the value though.

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah well I guess that attacking the pest one by one is the way to go until everything get on track !

And you get to learn a lot in the process.

I absolutely agree with this... My 55 had both Bryopsis or GHA and Bubble algae. I treated for the Bryopsis/GHA first because it was by far the most outrageous It was choking out all of my corals and infesting nearly every single surface in my tank.

1 treatment of FluxRx and it was gone in about 2 weeks or so.

I managed to kill 100% of the turf with 3 or 4 treatment of Fluconazole. It was VERY infested.
Normally Fluconazole is recommended for bryopsis, but I tried it anyway and it worked very well.
So I guess that the "turf" was maybe a kind of bryopsis, who knows...

Fluconazole is supposed to clear out either Bryopsis or GHA. Does not work on the bubble algae though.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth tangs are great at grazing rocks non stop . Really helped me get on top of hair algea but you need to manually remove as much as possible with water changes and siphoning to turn the corner.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back