30 day copper QT not working for velvet!

Paisley7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a 30 day QT with Copper Power at 2.5 (Hanna Checker verified) not work for Velvet disease? I just lost a clownfish for the second time in 6 months after following this protocol, but the disease appeared during the post-QT observation period. The gills were apparently affected first, and by the time I saw the fine white powder-covered dots, it was too late. What am I doing wrong? This fish showed no sign of disease at purchase, was in QT as a precaution, and they were the first and only 2 fish in that display tank, so no there's no way they were exposed after QT. I'm so frustrated, and ready to quit the hobby already. Any advice is appreciated!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You will be sure to find the answers you need for success here.

OP
OP
Paisley7

Paisley7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it usually works, and I've read everything on the humblefish site about disease. It's a great resource. My fish definitely had velvet. The symptoms and photos are spot-on, and I've seen it before. I've recently seen multiple threads from others in the hobby regarding strains of marine velvet that seem to be resistant to copper treatment. I don't have access to CP otherwise I'd try that instead. Some are experimenting with higher doses of copper, or even hydrogen peroxide treatments? I'm just really frustrated to lose fish, even when I do things the right way.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great like with hybrid TTM. I do worry with all the low dose copper at LFS that copper resistant strains may pop up.

Since clownfish are readily available, you could save yourself some headache by getting a healthy pair directly from the hatchery.

Cultivated reef sells Sea & Reef clowns (has some WYSIWYG options).

ORA fish ship directly from ORA on Live Aquaria site under the ORA section (not DD).

Biota sells clowns and other captive fish directly on their website.

Sustainable Aquatics also sells WYSIWYG clownfish on their website.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drreefsquarantinedfish.com and you don't have to bother with QT

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's frustrating. Just lost one of my cleaner shrimp with no explanation. I've never favored copper. I don't see how to keep ammonia in check in a QT using copper, and no established bio filtration without almost daily water changes. I put my entire population through a modified TTM and skip copper.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how to keep ammonia in check in a QT using copper, and no established bio filtration without almost daily water changes.
You kind of answered your own question.

You keep established media ready. An extra sponge in the sump, bag of bio balls, extra filter cartridge.

Not only for qt but also to establish a hospital tank is needed for fish injury.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a 30 day QT with Copper Power at 2.5 (Hanna Checker verified) not work for Velvet disease? I just lost a clownfish for the second time in 6 months after following this protocol, but the disease appeared during the post-QT observation period. The gills were apparently affected first, and by the time I saw the fine white powder-covered dots, it was too late. What am I doing wrong? This fish showed no sign of disease at purchase, was in QT as a precaution, and they were the first and only 2 fish in that display tank, so no there's no way they were exposed after QT. I'm so frustrated, and ready to quit the hobby already. Any advice is appreciated!

I can't explain that specific case, but yes, that should have dealt with Amyloodinium (velvet) just fine. I know that some people have said Copper Power "isn't strong enough" but you were at the full dose. I use Coppersafe myself, but it is very similar and needs to be used at full dose.

TTM often won't work for velvet, as the theront stage apparently can be carried along with the fish in the gills, so doesn't get weeded out like with Cryptocaryon.

As mentioned, copper doesn't work on Brooklynella.

Don't be afraid to start up copper again if you see something during the observational period - that's what it is there for,

Jay

Back