30 Gal IM Fusion Chamber 2 Skimmer Options

azpharmd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for feedback from those who run a skimmer that fits in chamber 2 of the 30 gal Innovative Marine Fusion. Had a Nuvoskim Midsize in chamber 2, but after going through three pumps in a little over a year, I went with a Tunze 9001 in the overflow chamber. It's a great skimmer, but would like to go back to running filter floss in the overflow and a high performing skimmer in chamber 2 (no HOB). Picked up an Icecap K-1 nano, however once the O-ring/magnet are attached it is 0.25-0.5" too wide. Was also looking at Eshopps nano, but it looks like the dimensions on the newer model will not fit. Have read through many threads on various sites along with the BRS "will it fit?" video, but doesn't seem to be a clear "winner". Thank you in advance for any feedback :)

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping to see if anyone has any ideas

I will say from a few years of messing with Nanos when I first moved over to the salty side of the hobby. I never really found a skimmer I was happy with or needed. Water changes are far more effective and relatively simple in smaller tanks IME

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet is supposed to hold it at the proper water level right? I just purchased the same skimmer for my IM25 frag setup. From what I've read it should drop in without it and run fine. If it's too deep just cut some egg crate or anything to make a stand for it to raise it up where you want it. I have the tunze 9004 in my SR80. I'm always adjusting the magnet to find the right level. I should probably take my own advice and just build a stand for it....

OP
OP
A

azpharmd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet is supposed to hold it at the proper water level right? I just purchased the same skimmer for my IM25 frag setup. From what I've read it should drop in without it and run fine. If it's too deep just cut some egg crate or anything to make a stand for it to raise it up where you want it. I have the tunze 9004 in my SR80. I'm always adjusting the magnet to find the right level. I should probably take my own advice and just build a stand for it....
The 9001 is not tall enough to use without the magnet. The bottom of the skimmer is roughly 1/4-1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the tank. Unfortunately, I do not have an auto top off yet so water level is inconsistent due to evaporation, however I try to keep it filled to the waterline mark on the skimmer printed just under the collection cup.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back