30 gallon clean up crew. 1 strawberry conch - how many other snails & kinds??

JennyH3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon sand FOWLER tank. I have 1 strawberry snail. 2 nassarius snails and 5 trochus snails. I have 3 small hermit crabs.

what other and how many snails - or small shrimp should I get. Mainly need for eating waste and food from sand.

I do put seaweed on a clip for an extra treat 1-2 times a week

thanks

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon sand FOWLER tank. I have 1 strawberry snail. 2 nassarius snails and 5 trochus snails. I have 3 small hermit crabs.

what other and how many snails - or small shrimp should I get. Mainly need for eating waste and food from sand.

I do put seaweed on a clip for an extra treat 1-2 times a week

thanks
Go to reefcleaners.org and buy the cleaner package for the smallest tank listed. I think it's like a 24 gallon.

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a cleaner shrimp. I don’t recommend buying any more hermit crabs I have 3 in a 30 gallon and I would never get more especially with the cleaner shrimp. Also I wouldn’t recommend getting more snails unless you see lots of algae. When their is no algae left the snails will just die. Also you’ll find that snails just die for random reasons so I would replace the snails if they die over time. Also I would stay away from any crabs like emeralds or arrow and definitely don’t get a camel or peppermint shrimp.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got like 10 hermits in a 45, and probably 6 Astrea and 4 Trochus, as well as a skunk and a peppermint shrimp.

5 Nassarius and an emerald crab....

I'm feeding pretty heavy for my tank right now and 2-3 times a day. Everything is happy. (I might actually have like 13 or 14 hermits?) They're not something super easy to keep track of once you add them.

AS long as you provide ample empty larger shells in gradient sizes for them to grow into you shouldn't have a problem.

I think people get them and don't always compensate properly for their growth and getting bigger shells. Hermits can get quite big... I'd even say eventually a 1 1/2 inch shell in diameter wouldn't be out of the question, depending on the species.

I think however also sometimes when they get super big they might go cannibalistic on smaller hermits and or snails?

Anyway, I think every reefer looses a few now and then anyways.

Just dont get like 20 of each. that's insane for a 30.

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank was a 30g (crashed after 6 months). The biggest mistake I made in that tank was the cuc. I got a $150 package from live aquaria that was supposed to be for 30gallons. It had 4 emerald crabs, 4 peppermint shrimp, 30 small hermit crabs, and like 50 snails. Half of them died and it was such a waste of money. Overstocking that tank led to its demise (I had like 7 fish) woke up one day and everything was dead .

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank was a 30g (crashed after 6 months). The biggest mistake I made in that tank was the cuc. I got a $150 package from live aquaria that was supposed to be for 30gallons. It had 4 emerald crabs, 4 peppermint shrimp, 30 small hermit crabs, and like 50 snails. Half of them died and it was such a waste of money. Overstocking that tank led to its demise (I had like 7 fish) woke up one day and everything was dead .
Yeah, that…. That’s an insane CUC

way to many.

a 1/5th of that would be normal or maybe someone could justify HALF of that depending on their feeding. But I have even like 1/3 of that in a 45 and I’m maxed out. Soooo… everyone learns lessons one way or another eventually right?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 7 fish in my 45

clown 1
Clown 2
Angel
Goby
Dottyback
Blenny
Mandarin

IMPO the key to more fish (or any livestock really) in smaller spaces is separating their living environments, and ensuring compatibility

i.e. clowns are very stationary home makers.

Angels and dotty’s are explorers and investigators.

mandarins and blennys are grazers,

And gobies just hide :p

too many fish that want to occupy the same space makes it harder.

i.e. if I had the dotty, a wrasse, and angel, and a hawk fish, most likely 1-2 of them would be beaten to death. Even though if they were the only 4 I had in that small tank.

that factored in with proper bio load and you’re fine.

i.e. don’t put 30 clowns in a 20 or 30 gallon thinking they’ll harem and have enough space etc.

Back